Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Best XX11 for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    My recollection as well AG, and I agree with you that both Shaw & McGlynn were best when they were on run with roles, then getting loose when they ran their opponent into the ground. Shaw had a great year because of these roles, as his running is the strong point of his game. His disposal by foot is woeful when in the purely rebound HB role.
    I agree totally with this post. Thanks SPC.

Veterans List
    Must be a slow day here leading up to Xmas so thought I'd trawl up this thread that has laid dormant for a month.

Let's just surmise that all three players we traded in - Walsh, Armstrong and Morton are starters. Remember we always recruit with a plan and rarely do our recruits not become regulars. I reckon if they perform as expected in the pre season then we will see them Round 1 so who will drop down the order to make way for them?

Armstrong is the Kennelly replacement off half back, Morton is the really talented x-factor goal kicking small forward we need and Walsh, after seeing him in the International games, is the agressive monster mobile forward to compliment to sublime talent of Reid.

I don't think Walsh will play FF, too restrictive and that is the best position for the back up ruckman. White has one last chance as FF/ruck, Pyke is a very realistic first choice as his tap ruck work is superior and he looks like he's improved his marking and kicking.

I'm off now to move the magnets around the board to see if I can come up with a 22 that includes the three trade ins and see who I need to leave out. Might take me until Boxing Day!

Merry Xmas all, remember drink less but drink better. Stick to wine as that's all red and white :-)
    Last edited by 707; 23rd December 2011 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Must be a slow day here leading up to Xmas so thought I'd trawl up this thread that has laid dormant for a month.

Let's just surmise that all three players we traded in - Walsh, Armstrong and Morton are starters. Remember we always recruit with a plan and rarely do our recruits not become regulars. I reckon if they perform as expected in the pre season then we will see them Round 1 so who will drop down the order to make way for them?

Armstrong is the Kennelly replacement off half back, Morton is the really talented x-factor goal kicking small forward we need and Walsh, after seeing him in the International games, is the agressive monster mobile forward to compliment to sublime talent of Reid.

I don't think Walsh will play FF, too restrictive and that is the best position for the back up ruckman. White has one last chance as FF/ruck, Pyke is a very realistic first choice as his tap ruck work is superior and he looks like he's improved his marking and kicking.

I'm off now to move the magnets around the board to see if I can come up with a 22 that includes the three trade ins and see who I need to leave out. Might take me until Boxing Day!

Merry Xmas all, remember drink less but drink better. Stick to wine as that's all red and white :-)
    Re: Your point about players being traded in and being best 22 - A Everitt started in the team last year but was pushed out, I don't think we can discount the possibility that could happen with any of '11s new dudes being pushed out if they're form isn't up to it. At least I hope that would happen since we do appear to have many players pushing for spots.

I was thinking maybe we could talk about how many games we'd like to see from guys - i.e like last year I would have said I hope Paul Bevan plays 0 cause it means we've got more well rounded players in the team.

So I guess I'll start..

Who I hope play all games -

Dan Hanners
    K Jack
    N Smith
    C Bird
    J Bolton
    A Goodes
    H Grundy
    Kennedy
    Nick Mal
    McGlynn
    Reid
    ROK
    Mummy
    White/Spangher/Walsh (I know this is cheating a bit, but if one of them can stand up contribute and play each game, that'll go a long way to a premiership)

10 games +

Gary Rohan
    Jetta
    T Armstrong
    Pyke
    Moore
    Richards
    LRT
    Spangher
    White
    Walsh
    Morton
    Dennis-Lane
    Meredith
    Parker
    Shaw

less than 10 games
    Gordon
    Alex Johnson
    Jed Lamb
    Seaby
    Mitchell
    Everitt
    Mattner
    Shaw

Goes up to 11
    You had me right up to Alex Johnson, Mattner and Shaw....

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Gee BRB, Shaw and Alex J in the <10 group? How do you figure that? Not to mention Lamb; and did you see Marty's onepercenters on the 12 Days of Christmas?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    You had me right up to Alex Johnson, Mattner and Shaw....
    Given their 2011 form I'd reckon these three are locks for 2012.

AJ to play the way he did as a first year player was great and another year older and more importantly a full pre seaso under his belt and he's on the way to 200 games I'd reckon, a class KP player in the making.

Mattner seems to get under rated by some on this forum but no coincidence his 1% are highlighted on the Swans website as he is outstanding for the team with those things and provides abundant run from defence.

Shaw wasn't Best Team Man and 2nd in the B&F for no reason. Outstanding since he moved to Sydney 3 years ago, a real players player and a coaches player. Just hope he gets to 100 games in the red and white.

I'm still working on my best 22, unbelieveably difficult to leave out so many good players.

Senior Player
    To be fair to Bleed Red Blood, he also has Shaw in the 10 games + list...
    Shaw, AJ and Mattner should play all 22, as should Rohan and Richards.

I'd like to see Rohan play every game.

To me the big question that I can't answer is who plays 2nd ruck and how the forward line should look.

Mumford is a lock, with 2nd ruck out of Seaby, Pyke, White, LRT. I don't think you can play more than one of those four, unless there is a spot for LRT in the backline. Assume the forward line already has Walsh and Reid in it, with a resting ruckman I don't think there is then room for a White for example.

I'd actually forgotten about Spangher. I expect there is a forward line spot for him which holds out TDL and Morton...

I'd like TDL to take a step up and cement a place. A forward line which includes Walsh, Reid, TDL and McGlynn along with Pyke or Seaby with Goodes roaming in and out seems promising to me... but I know Jack about such things. What I do think though is that our success in 2012 will depend largely on getting the right set up and sticking with it, that would help the young forwards learn their craft and will help the mids in delivering it to the right spots.

bloody hell its a tough call..mine r
    Goodes,mumford,Walsh,Morton,Mattner,Rohan,rok,grun dy,TDL,kennedy,pyke,Armstrong,Mcglynn,shaw,hanners ,jetta,reid,spanga,bird,parker,jack,teddy........g ee that was hard as....
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Just wild about Harry
    Based on form, I'd be saying (from the backline): Shaw, Teddy, Smooch, Armstrong, Reg, AJ, Hanners, ROK, Rohan, McGlynn, Reid, McVeigh, Spang, Walsh, Bolton. Followers: Mumford, Goodes, Jack. Inter: Kennedy, Pyke, Parker, Mattner.

I will also cheat a bit by saying that Bird and LRT would be emergencies

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Based on form, I'd be saying (from the backline): Shaw, Teddy, Smooch, Armstrong, Reg, AJ, Hanners, ROK, Rohan, McGlynn, Reid, McVeigh, Spang, Walsh, Bolton. Followers: Mumford, Goodes, Jack. Inter: Kennedy, Pyke, Parker, Mattner.

I will also cheat a bit by saying that Bird and LRT would be emergencies
    Hard to fault any of that.

However my boy chops will force his way in there somewhere I suspect.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Oh yeah and Nipper will also make a play for a senior spot on 2012.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast