Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Best XX11 for 2012

And then there's Morton who is a classy player but with a prior bad attitude who'll also be pushing for a spot
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I'm forgetting TDL as well.

Sheesh we have some depth people. It's going to be a heck of a ride in the next few seasons.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

On the Rookie List

The Coaches choice

As you quite rightly point out,we are now in a position of surplus talent,a good position to be in.It will be up to the coaches then to define the style of play expected and select those players who fit this style. Our style will probably be the man on man ,hard tackling ,defensive style that has served us so well in the past.

This style does not come naturally to classy forwards whose first move is to get free of an opponent rather than stop an opponent running off them.I therefore think players like Morton and TDL might have trouble breaking into the top 22 . Last year TDL could kick bags of goals in the twos and it did not seem to improve his chances of selection. So it gets down to the coaches choice of playing style and who best fits that style not how many classy players we have in our squad. That is why Bevan got so many games for us when there were arguably more polished players not picked.He fitted the coaches style. Keeping good players who don't get picked in the best 22 then becomes a future issue.

However the depth argument is a good one.We can handle the inevitable injuries with fine replacements.Its better to have our situation any day!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    As you quite rightly point out,we are now in a position of surplus talent,a good position to be in.It will be up to the coaches then to define the style of play expected and select those players who fit this style. Our style will probably be the man on man ,hard tackling ,defensive style that has served us so well in the past.

This style does not come naturally to classy forwards whose first move is to get free of an opponent rather than stop an opponent running off them.I therefore think players like Morton and TDL might have trouble breaking into the top 22 . Last year TDL could kick bags of goals in the twos and it did not seem to improve his chances of selection. So it gets down to the coaches choice of playing style and who best fits that style not how many classy players we have in our squad. That is why Bevan got so many games for us when there were arguably more polished players not picked.He fitted the coaches style. Keeping good players who don't get picked in the best 22 then becomes a future issue.

However the depth argument is a good one.We can handle the inevitable injuries with fine replacements.Its better to have our situation any day!
    I agree in general with the description of our style, and that it won't change much. But I'm puzzled about the bit I've highlighted: a defender who runs off one of our blokes when we have the ball is usually asking for trouble, although Scarlett has made a mini-career of this. When the opposition has the ball I'd expect our forwards to chase and tackle - like TDL against Carlton come to think of it.
    The other thing I've enjoyed watching lately is replaying highlights and seeing how fast and fluent we can be, especially the midfield combinations of Mumford, Goodes, Kennedy and Hannebery. It is exciting to watch and devastates even good opposition. I think we can produce more passages of play like this, and as people have often noted, on such occasions we can beat anyone.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I agree in general with the description of our style, and that it won't change much. But I'm puzzled about the bit I've highlighted: a defender who runs off one of our blokes when we have the ball is usually asking for trouble, although Scarlett has made a mini-career of this. When the opposition has the ball I'd expect our forwards to chase and tackle - like TDL against Carlton come to think of it.
    The other thing I've enjoyed watching lately is replaying highlights and seeing how fast and fluent we can be, especially the midfield combinations of Mumford, Goodes, Kennedy and Hannebery. It is exciting to watch and devastates even good opposition. I think we can produce more passages of play like this, and as people have often noted, on such occasions we can beat anyone.
    That's spot on. The forward press makes even more important for every forward to make sure the ball stays in the forward 50. No point in kicking 5-6 goals if your defender is free to set up play going the other way. From what I'm hearing TDL is working his gluteus maximus off to ensure he can contribute at AFL level. He's too smart a footballer to be playing NEAFL.

I agree with Hartijon that our style won't change all that much (It's a finals footy style so why would we) but as our forward line takes shape and becomes more dangerous I can see us playing more direct. I saw that with Longmire this year attempting to get us to move the ball quicker. The emphasis this preseason on skill work means I think we'll see more quick and direct ball movement.

As you can tell I'm rather excited by the next few seasons.
    Last edited by Big Al; 31st December 2011 at 04:02 PM.

The introduction of some good height into the squad gives us so many options this season. Add the players picked up for their pace and those who are naturally talented in the skills department and we have a very good mix. I am ecstatic to see so many skilled players being picked up by us. In the past we have depended on a few highly skilled individuals and surrounded them with dour, hard gutsy units. There is nothing wrong with that, it won us a premiership, but I do feel more comfortable knowing that the players we are drafting have the capability to beat any other player in the AFL one on one in skill. The coaches will add the hardness to these skilled players to top it off. SO EXCITING!!!!!!!

Prediction; Lamb Chop is the next Gary Buccanarra

Yeah the problem I had with "how many games would you like to see player x in" is that you can't predict when a players rise or slide will happen. If Jude started playing like Ben Mathews, or even himself circa 07, he shouldn't play at all. Likewise if say Jed Lamb just demanded games like Hanners did in 08 you couldn't help but include him.

I think a defense like this will be fine:

Richards - Grundy - Mattner
    Eski - LRT - Smith/Shaw

I would select LRT only if there is a match up for him. Eg we we're playing the Hawks - Grundy/Richards to Franklin, and LRT on Roughhead.
    I know Alex Johnson is well liked on here, and I don't think he's close to being a dud but at this stage I think you cant have both he and Mattner in the same side as they are basically the same player, and weve enough defenders already selected. Also, I don't rate Shaw - his disposal is dangerous and I think someone more talented could play the same role.

Forward

Who know??
    Walsh, Morton, White, Spangher, TDL - all have the talent and skills to be in the side.

Reid is pretty much the only pure forward who I would think has a guaranteed spot. And I'm also keen to see him play some games in defense.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    Reid ... I'm also keen to see him play some games in defense.
    Why, when our defence looks reasonably well set, at least for now, while our forward line is a mess and Reid is the most potent target up there?

Yeah that's a baffling one. Reid shouldn't leave CHF, ever.

Agree with Liz & Deadly Reid up forward forever. The game has evolved so much today that it is not about picking players for set posies but picking players for players. This is not necessarily a defensive move it is a strategic move to expose the opposition weaknesses while negating their strengths. So in those terms there would never be a top 22 there would be a team that matches up positively against the opposition. This would and does involve playing a range of players over the length of a season. With great depth we no longer need to rely on a core group of senior players, we can now pick a team every week that will fulfill those two requirements. That may involve using over thirty players in a season.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Agree with Liz & Deadly Reid up forward forever. The game has evolved so much today that it is not about picking players for set posies but picking players for players. This is not necessarily a defensive move it is a strategic move to expose the opposition weaknesses while negating their strengths. So in those terms there would never be a top 22 there would be a team that matches up positively against the opposition. This would and does involve playing a range of players over the length of a season. With great depth we no longer need to rely on a core group of senior players, we can now pick a team every week that will fulfill those two requirements. That may involve using over thirty players in a season.
    I am not sure this is such a good idea.Premiership sides tend to be settled sides. To change your side to fit the opposition is to coach reactively rather than pro-actively.Why not keep your best 22 together as a group and back them. You set the tone and style of play. Make your opposition change their team.
    Playing with the same guys week in week out has huge advantages in terms of anticipating the play. Players don't have to think where to run as they instinctively know where certain players on their team will kick it. Crumbers know who will regularly bust a pack and where the ball will most likely go. Rotating your best 30 might lose you that edge that familiarity gives you. When we went top in 2005 we barely changed the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    I know Alex Johnson is well liked on here, and I don't think he's close to being a dud but at this stage I think you cant have both he and Mattner in the same side as they are basically the same player, and weve enough defenders already selected
    Mattner and AJ are basically the same player? WTF? One is a quick, hard-tackling HBF who can lose his composure. The other is a versatile KPD who can also shut down smalls, and is extremely composed, but not quite as hard or attacking.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast