Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Best XX11 for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    I am not sure this is such a good idea.Premiership sides tend to be settled sides. To change your side to fit the opposition is to coach reactively rather than pro-actively.Why not keep your best 22 together as a group and back them. You set the tone and style of play. Make your opposition change their team.
    Playing with the same guys week in week out has huge advantages in terms of anticipating the play. Players don't have to think where to run as they instinctively know where certain players on their team will kick it. Crumbers know who will regularly bust a pack and where the ball will most likely go. Rotating your best 30 might lose you that edge that familiarity gives you. When we went top in 2005 we barely changed the team.
    2005 is dead and gone and living in that era is counter productive as much as basking in the glory is fun. We had a core group of highly skilled individuals surrounded by solid team performers in 2005. That group was nowhere as skilled or diverse as this group. This group is also the most flexible we have had at the club with so many players capable of playing in so many positions. What clubs have been able to do in the last five years is pick players who exploited our lack of pace. This is not a problem anymore as we have had a rather large injection of pace ourselves. Each side picks a core group of players, Collingwood pick Pendlebury, Swan, Cloke, Shaw etc. We know this is going to happen and the coaches have far more flexibility today than ever before to pick players who match up positively on those players while picking players that they are going to have to match up on as well. This is not reactive it is reality. There is no such thing as a set board anymore, the Pies don't have one nor the Cats. It might be nice to use less players as has always been the assertion but it may not always be possible in todays game.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Why, when our defence looks reasonably well set, at least for now, while our forward line is a mess and Reid is the most potent target up there?
    Just to develop him as a more rounded player. Even Carey played CHB. Also, if we had the flexibility of moving Reid to defense, subbing off a defender and say, moving Walsh or White or someone to Full Forward, that could mess up other teams plans. Flexibility is a key.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Mattner and AJ are basically the same player? WTF? One is a quick, hard-tackling HBF who can lose his composure. The other is a versatile KPD who can also shut down smalls, and is extremely composed, but not quite as hard or attacking.
    I really don't get the love for Johnson. "A versatile KPD who can shut down smalls" is not a versatile KPD. That is a guy who can play tall, but mostly doesn't. With Grundy, LRT and Richards already in the team we don't need another tall, and Mattner already plays on mediums.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    "A versatile KPD who can shut down smalls" is not a versatile KPD. That is a guy who can play tall, but mostly doesn't.
    Craig Bolton says "hi"!

(Not that I am predicting Johnson is the next B2 - not yet, any way.)

Craig Bolton says "hi"!

Well said Liz. The kid had a great season and shut down some very tough opponents. Not only that he hurt them on the rebound and is a good long kick. Marty is a different type. Need all types as the year goes on.

Why, when our defence looks reasonably well set, at least for now, while our forward line is a mess and Reid is the most potent target up there?
    Craig Bolton says "hi"!

I was responding to the point that Johnson plays on talls and smalls. Which he doesn't.

I really don't get the love for Johnson. "A versatile KPD who can shut down smalls" is not a versatile KPD. That is a guy who can play tall, but mostly doesn't. With Grundy, LRT and Richards already in the team we don't need another tall, and Mattner already plays on mediums.
    I was responding to the point that Johnson plays on talls and smalls. Which he doesn't.
    Uh, yeah, he does. Did you even watch him last year? He played mostly on talls. He can ALSO play on smalls, adding another string to his bow, but his role was primarily as a KPD.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

The fact he played so many games for a club that usually likes to bring on their youngsters slowly is testament of how he is viewed by the coaching staff.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Just wild about Harry
    I have to admit I wasn't much of a Mattner fan until I noticed his exceptional closing speed. Just watch how many times in 2012 an opposition player is in the clear and set for a mark only to have a Mattner fist spoil at the last moment.

I love Marty, even though he can be frustrating at times for holding it too long or the occasional bad delivery. He never gives up, will risk his life for the jumper and does the hard things.. The young blokes see this and know what is required to be a Swan.

Uh, yeah, he does. Did you even watch him last year? He played mostly on talls. He can ALSO play on smalls, adding another string to his bow, but his role was primarily as a KPD.
    Would you select him in the side before LRT, Grundy or Richards to play on talls? I think most teams 1st tall would rip him apart, I think most teams 2nd would beat him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    The fact he played so many games for a club that usually likes to bring on their youngsters slowly is testament of how he is viewed by the coaching staff.
    That is so. Although recently we've played them earlier, and I think it was Roos' great folly that he didn't.

Would you select him in the side before LRT, Grundy or Richards to play on talls? I think most teams 1st tall would rip him apart, I think most teams 2nd would beat him as well.
    Honestly, on 2011 form I'd probably pick him ahead of LRT. In any case, there's room for all four, because both Richards and Johnson have the versatility to rotate from talls to smalls. Even if AJ doesn't play as a KPD, he brings something very different to the table than what Mattner does. Both can play in the same side, with AJ providing some quality KPD cover should one of our key defenders be injured/have a shocker/need to move forward or into the ruck.

And while AJ rarely, if ever, played on the opposition's best forward last year, with Richards and Grundy sharing that role, he did often take the 2nd or 3rd, and he wasn't beaten all year.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Honestly, on 2011 form I'd probably pick him ahead of LRT. In any case, there's room for all four, because both Richards and Johnson have the versatility to rotate from talls to smalls. Even if AJ doesn't play as a KPD, he brings something very different to the table than what Mattner does. Both can play in the same side, with AJ providing some quality KPD cover should one of our key defenders be injured/have a shocker/need to move forward or into the ruck.

And while AJ rarely, if ever, played on the opposition's best forward last year, with Richards and Grundy sharing that role, he did often take the 2nd or 3rd, and he wasn't beaten all year.
    I disagree that you can have all four in the side. Too big, and also, too many defenders. How many times last year on here we're we saying, Longmire come on we can't kick any goals if half the side are defenders. Mattner provides cover for Richards. I don't think LRT should be used in the ruck again when we have Seaby and Pyke and White. If Grundy was having a shocker, I'd rather we move Reid back and have a smaller forward line, than have Johnson in the team just in case someones playing poorly. We need to back in the guys, and pick a balanced side.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast