Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The oldest

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

The oldest

Apparently we have the oldest list in the league.
    Question for today . . . does this matter?

Numbers, personnel point to the Hawks
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Que?

Our oldest players include Goodes, Bolton, Mattner, LRT, ROK, Shaw, Richards and our youngest include Reid, Hannerbury, Johnson, Parker, Rohan, Kennedy, ........

smoke and mirrors. I would rather concentrate on the quality of our players rather than their supposed need to be sent out to pasture. No, don't think it matters with this particularly squad.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Que?

Our oldest players include Goodes, Bolton, Mattner, LRT, ROK, Shaw, Richards and our youngest include Reid, Hannerbury, Johnson, Parker, Rohan, Kennedy, ........

smoke and mirrors. I would rather concentrate on the quality of our players rather than their supposed need to be sent out to pasture. No, don't think it matters with this particularly squad.
    Agreed, Primmy. I'd rather have an 'old' Adam Goodes than an 18yo who may never play a game.

The frustrating thing as we all know is that the whole article focuses on how Hawthorn & St Kilda a ripe for a premiership charge but totally ignores Sydney despite the three teams being very similar in statistics. The swans are only 25 days older on average than Hawthorn, are only two short on average team games, and the only "big" difference is that the Swans are down 4 players compared to Hawthorns 14 players playing over 100 games. I would not have mind so much if they explained why Sydney should not be considered similar but the only reference is to say that they are oldest team. Oh, well.......

Senior Player
    I like this bit
    That's close enough to the standard set by the last dozen premiers, where the typical age of players has averaged 24 years and 145 days.
    But the Swans, who are closer to that average age, aren't close enough??

I've never even thought of looking at the age of a squad, but I have noticed that the average age of peremiership teams tends to be 25 or 26 years old (Geelongs win last year was an exception). FWIW I think out best 22 would be around 25.5, but averages are such mean statistical instrument.

Weren't we too young last year and too old the year before?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Apparently we have the oldest list in the league.
    Question for today . . . does this matter?

Numbers, personnel point to the Hawks
    We're 26 days older than the Hawks, who according to that story are right in the premiership zone, so I'd actually see it as a positive. Experience and time played together do matter - Hawthorn surprised even themselves in 2008.

The club that stands out in that table is Carlton. Supposedly in their premiership window, they're the fifth youngest.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I've never even thought of looking at the age of a squad, but I have noticed that the average age of peremiership teams tends to be 25 or 26 years old (Geelongs win last year was an exception). FWIW I think out best 22 would be around 25.5, but averages are such mean statistical instrument.
    I saw what you did - well up to par I'd say.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I have always looked through the lists to see who has the most 25 year olds as that is when men are in their prime. geelong blew my theory outt the window last year..but I didn't state in their prime for what????
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    That mode of humour may appeal to some, but not to me.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I saw what you did - well up to par I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    That mode of humour may appeal to some, but not to me.
    I feel the need to make some quip about standard deviations, but I just don't know you that well to comment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast