Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Best XX11 for 2012

Regular in the Side

Best XX11 for 2012

I was thinking about the best possible Swans side for 2012. Rather than worrying about key positions, (except the ruck-sorry Mark Seaby), I have provided rankings. The first 17 players are all certainties in my opinion if fully fit. The remaining 4 positions with a 5th being the sub, are in my view reflected from a pool of 11 players. Hope to read lots of responses.

Certainties: the top 17

1. Adam Goodes
    2. Rhyce Shaw
    3. Josh Kennedy
    4. Ryan O?Keefe
    5. Ted Richards
    6. Nick Smith
    7. Daniel Hannebery
    8. Shane Mumford
    9. Ben McGlynn
    10. Jarrad McVeigh
    11. Jude Bolton
    12. Sam Reid
    13. Kieren Jack
    14. Luke Parker
    15. Matty Mattner
    16. Heath Grundy
    17. Gary Rohan

In the running: 4 and a 5th sub to pick out of 11
    1. Alex Johnson
    2. Craig Bird
    3. Lewis Roberts-Thompson
    4. Lewis Jetta
    5. Tony Armstrong
    6. Nick Malcelski
    7. Jesse White
    8. Jarrad Moore
    9. Matt Spangher
    10. Trent Dennis-Lane
    11. Mitch Morton

Not in the running:
    1. Mark Seaby
    2. Tommy Walsh
    3. Andrejs Everitt
    4. Tom Mitchell
    5. Brett Meredith
    6. Jed Lamb
    7. Nathan Gordon

Veteran Site Admin
    Don't understand your rankings. By putting Goodes at the top, I take it you are saying he is the first player picked? If so, surely Mumford is the second player picked.

I also think we have to allow for changes in form compared to 2011. While it would take a drastic change in form for the likes of Goodes, Mumford, ROK and a few others not to remain in the best 22, there are others who are either at the start of their careers or coming towards the end who could easily find themselves pushed out of or into contention for a best 22 spot. Lamb and Mitchell are certainly two of the younger brigade who we hope will be staking their claim, while the club wouldn't have pursued Walsh if they hadn't thought him also capable of pushing for a semi-permanent role in the forward line. (I see him as competing with White, although he doesn't offer the ruck flexibility that White provides.)

I also think that we have 4 tall defenders and probably 3 "best 22" spots available. I think it is very hard to predict which out of the 4 is most likely to find themselves in the top 3. I certainly wouldn't be separating LRT from Reg or Ted quite so soon. LRT offers extra height compared to those two and if he is fit, could force one of them out of the team.

I also think Parker is far from being a lock in the best 22. Bird is probably not quite a lock but I'd say he is closer to it on exposed form than Parker is.

And poor Mike Pyke doesn't even exist!!
    Last edited by liz; 24th November 2011 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I was thinking about the best possible Swans side for 2012. Rather than worrying about key positions, (except the ruck-sorry Mark Seaby), I have provided rankings. The first 17 players are all certainties in my opinion if fully fit. The remaining 4 positions with a 5th being the sub, are in my view reflected from a pool of 11 players. Hope to read lots of responses.

1. Adam Goodes
    2. Rhyce Shaw
    3. Josh Kennedy
    4. Ryan O?Keefe
    5. Ted Richards
    6. Nick Smith
    7. Daniel Hannebery
    8. Shane Mumford
    9. Ben McGlynn
    10. Jarrad McVeigh
    11. Jude Bolton
    12. Sam Reid
    13. Kieren Jack
    14. Luke Parker
    15. Matty Mattner
    16. Heath Grundy
    17. Gary Rohan

1. Alex Johnson
    2. Craig Bird
    4. Lewis Jetta
    5. Tony Armstrong
    6. Nick Malcelski
    7. Jesse White
    8. Jarrad Moore
    9. Matt Spangher
    10. Trent Dennis-Lane
    11. Mitch Morton

Not in the running:
    1. Mark Seaby
    2. Tommy Walsh
    3. Andrejs Everitt
    4. Tom Mitchell
    5. Brett Meredith
    6. Jed Lamb
    7. Nathan Gordon
    I commend the effort put into this Top40.

-However Jed Lamb at 6 in the not in the running rankings is IMO, way off. Chop's is going to be a star.

-Pyke needs to be in the running.

- Mumford needs to be 2nd of 3rd

Apart from that I can't really fault the other rankings.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Good effort.

IMO Wrong groupings:

Pyke
    Walsh
    Moore
    Mitchell
    Lamb
    Johnson

And I think LRT, Grundy and Ted will be fighting for 2 spots.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't understand your rankings. By putting Goodes at the top, I take it you are saying he is the first player picked? If so, surely Mumford is the second player picked.

I also think we have to allow for changes in form compared to 2011. While it would take a drastic change in form for the likes of Goodes, Mumford, ROK and a few others not to remain in the best 22, there are others who are either at the start of their careers or coming towards the end who could easily find themselves pushed out of or into contention for a best 22 spot. Lamb and Mitchell are certainly two of the younger brigade who we hope will be staking their claim, while the club wouldn't have pursued Walsh if they hadn't thought him also capable of pushing for a semi-permanent role in the forward line. (I see him as competing with White, although he doesn't offer the ruck flexibility that White provides.)

I also think that we have 4 tall defenders and probably 3 "best 22" spots available. I think it is very hard to predict which out of the 4 is most likely to find themselves in the top 3. I certainly wouldn't be separating LRT from Reg or Ted quite so soon. LRT offers extra height compared to those two and if he is fit, could force one of them out of the team.

I also think Parker is far from being a lock in the best 22. Bird is probably not quite a lock but I'd say he is closer to it on exposed form than Parker is.

And poor Mike Pyke doesn't even exist!!
    Looking very closely, the top ten rankings were this year's the B and F top 10. Nevertheless, I am not too hang up about the rankings within the three categories. Embarrassingly I did forget Mike Pyke, sorry Mike. I would still put Mike Pyke for fairly obviously reasons in the third category.

Veteran Site Admin
    Embarrassingly I did forget Mike Pyke, sorry Mike. I would still put Mike Pyke for fairly obviously reasons in the third category.
    I would put Pyke firmly in the second category. I think he is in direct competition with Jesse for a spot as the second ruckman cum forward. If he hadn't been injured I think Jesse might have had fewer opportunities in 2011 than he got, especially at the back end of the season. Pyke will probably be more effective in the ruck than Jesse (notwithstanding that Jesse did markedly improve in that department in the last few weeks). It comes down to how closely he can match Jesse's effectiveness as a forward.

Of course, someone like Spangher or Walsh could well establish themselves as a genuinely dangerous tall foil for Reid in the forward line. But the team still needs a makeshift ruckman somewhere in the best 22.

Damn we have a solid list with depth. That's certainly what I have learnt from this!

Also, please don't write off LRT.

1. Adam Goodes
    2. Rhyce Shaw
    3. Josh Kennedy
    4. Ryan O?Keefe
    5. Ted Richards
    6. Nick Smith
    7. Daniel Hannebery
    8. Shane Mumford
    9. Ben McGlynn
    10. Jarrad McVeigh
    11. Jude Bolton
    12. Sam Reid
    13. Kieren Jack
    14. Luke Parker
    15. Matty Mattner
    16. Heath Grundy
    17. Gary Rohan

1. Alex Johnson
    2. Craig Bird
    4. Lewis Jetta
    5. Tony Armstrong
    6. Nick Malcelski
    7. Jesse White
    8. Jarrad Moore
    9. Matt Spangher
    10. Trent Dennis-Lane
    11. Mitch Morton

Not in the running:
    1. Mark Seaby
    2. Tommy Walsh
    3. Andrejs Everitt
    4. Tom Mitchell
    5. Brett Meredith
    6. Jed Lamb
    7. Nathan Gordon
    Nice work, except that IMO, barring injury (or simply horrendous preseason form), Walsh will line up at FF Rd 1. The reason we chased him so hard, and the reason he was so keen to come to us, is because we see a place for him at FF. Mark it down, Walsh will be considered best 18 next year, at least to begin with.

Also, Parker is very much in the "in the running" group. I'd probably also put Mattner and even Rohan there. Tom Mitchell will be in the running as well, he's physically ready to play, the only obstacle is his shoulders. I'd say Jarred Moore isn't in the running at the moment; he's got to prove he has the fitness and speed (training with Matt Shirvington atm) to play at senior level, which means busting a gut in the ressies for a while.

Also, PYYYYYKE! I'd have him at least in the second category, and possibly first. He's better than White, and if he hadn't been injured for most of last season he'd have played a lot more games. He's a perfect 2nd ruckman/forward.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

I disagree with you Liz I think Parker is definitely in our top 22. I also think they could turn Jesse into a defender quite easily. People are saying don't write LRT off just yet but I think he has been retained because he epitomizes what this club is all about. He would die for the jumper. Several players need to be more consistent this year as I think they depth is very good and they will need to perform to keep their place. Ryano, Shawie, Marty, Benny, Macca (although understandable last season), Bird and even Bolts need to be a little more consistent to hold their spots.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I disagree with you Liz I think Parker is definitely in our top 22. I also think they could turn Jesse into a defender quite easily. People are saying don't write LRT off just yet but I think he has been retained because he epitomizes what this club is all about. He would die for the jumper. Several players need to be more consistent this year as I think they depth is very good and they will need to perform to keep their place. Ryano, Shawie, Marty, Benny, Macca (although understandable last season), Bird and even Bolts need to be a little more consistent to hold their spots.
    I think you're being a bit tough on Rhycie there, he was wonderful this season as shown by him coming second in the Skilton.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Oh get real - the 5 players you've mentioned above are pretty much the backbone of the team and are the reason we are so tough. I agree with a fair bit of what you have to say but this one is waaaaaay off the mark.

Spang, White, Mcglynn
    ROK, Reid, Macca

Shaw
    Mummy
    Jude
    Jack
    Kennedy
    Goodes

Smithy, Grundy, AJ
    Mattner, Teddy, Armstrong

Bench:
    19.Rohan
    20.Hannes
    21.Parker
    22.Morton or Lamb?

The amazing thing is that only 5 from the 38 players listed so far have not played Seniors - and 2 of that 5 were drafted in 2011 anyway !!........the depth is very exciting

So the players under pressure I have put in RED. I think Walsh could take on Spangs role and I think White they will persist with initially if he has a good pre season and NAB. Armstrong for me is a walk in and I dont know who will get the nod for spot 22 ie TDL, Jetta, Nipper, Tom Mitchell, Birdy, Mal etc could all fight Lamb and Morton for that spot

The only reason I went with Morton or Lamb initially is because we need to persist with a genuine goal kicker medium small forward coming from the bench to replace ROK, Bolton, Macca - we need more goals and these two can kick them !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast