10. M.Morton
    17. T.Walsh
    19. T.Armstrong
    23. J.Lockyer
    36. A.Brown
    42. J.Lynch
    44. H.Cunningham
    46. S.Biggs

As per the trend in recent years, no one gets an upgrade to a lower jumper number. 31 gets another year in hiatus while 22 hasn't been claimed.

Veterans List
    As number 10 was free you'd assume that Tom Mitchell was given the option but chose to take a different number than the 10 worn by father Barry.

No problems with 31 being reserved for a suitable future player, maybe a NSW rookie lister who comes good?

Odd about 22 being left unallocated

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Not sure what I think about the mention of a possible emerging trend - the "Irish" number, the "indigenous" number. I can see pluses and minuses.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Odd about 22 being left unallocated
    Not really, existing stock of 22's don't fit anyone. They were all acquired for Saddo, who never bulked up.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Not sure what I think about the mention of a possible emerging trend - the "Irish" number, the "indigenous" number. I can see pluses and minuses.
    Expand a bit dimelb...I don't really see much significance either way.

Pleased to see Mitch get Bob Pratts No.10. Hopefully the spirit lives on...........

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Expand a bit dimelb...I don't really see much significance either way.
    The article sets up the possibility that 17 and 19 are the Irish number (Tommy Walsh follows Tadhg) and the indigenous number (Armstrong follows Mickey O after a brief interruption). An obvious possible advantage is that the holders are seen as special, the carriers of a Swan tradition, and that may encourage performance. On the other hand a lot of people seem to think that it's a mistake to give numbers a special significance. It's the article that makes the connection, not the club, and the club, like yourself, may not see much significance either way. As far as I'm concerned they can wear what they like as long as they produce their best; if the number helps, good.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Young Mitchell chose a very good number if you look at players to have it. John Murphy, Andrew Dunkley, Craig Bolton, Denis Pagan, Stuart McGee, Colin Hounsell & Brett Scott. All very good players who had stellar careers, some for other clubs but what the hell. With the number 17 forget the Irish connection for a sec and look who wore the number before. Ian Roberts was possibly one of the most talented footballers to ever play the game. Bob Pratt, Paul Williams, John Roberts, Barry Mitchell , Peter Everitt and Scotty Watters all wore 10 and we know how good they were. Other than Mickey O the number 19 was worn by Anthony Daniher, the unfortunate Garreth John and Terry O'Niell all very talented. Bob Pratt, Ron Clegg, Matthew Nicks and Glen Coleman all wore 23. Ben Matthews & Adam Schneider both wore 36. David Ackerly once wore 42. Richard Osborne wore 44 and Tony lockett, Tony Moorwood and Andrew Demetriou all wore 46. This has been fun

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Young Mitchell chose a very good number if you look at players to have it. John Murphy, Andrew Dunkley, Craig Bolton, Denis Pagan, Stuart McGee, Colin Hounsell & Brett Scott. All very good players who had stellar careers, some for other clubs but what the hell. With the number 17 forget the Irish connection for a sec and look who wore the number before. Ian Roberts was possibly one of the most talented footballers to ever play the game. Bob Pratt, Paul Williams, John Roberts, Barry Mitchell , Peter Everitt and Scotty Watters all wore 10 and we know how good they were. Other than Mickey O the number 19 was worn by Anthony Daniher, the unfortunate Garreth John and Terry O'Niell all very talented. Bob Pratt, Ron Clegg, Matthew Nicks and Glen Coleman all wore 23. Ben Matthews & Adam Schneider both wore 36. David Ackerly once wore 42. Richard Osborne wore 44 and Tony lockett, Tony Moorwood and Andrew Demetriou all wore 46. This has been fun
    Not to be confused with the fat controller. Ours was actually a reasonable footballer.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Not to be confused with the fat controller. Ours was actually a reasonable footballer.
    Played one game I was just having a lark to see the reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Played one game I was just having a lark to see the reaction.
    I used to watch the reserves in those days, that's why I thought he played more than that.
    Does God believe in Atheists?