Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG Redevelopment Stage 2: Noble, Bradman, Messenger

I think we always knew that the next stage of redevelopment was going to be the Noble/Bradman/Messenger stands - the only question would be "when". Well, now we know.

The Trumper didn't look super-full last season, so that is the logical place to temporarily house the residents of the members reserve and the Messenger stand/concourse people. They might have to do something funky like force the members reserve folk to accept reserved seating for a couple of years, as I don't think a mix of reserved and unreserved is going to work! From memory, the lower ladies is considered part of the members reserve so they might cap the members reserve numbers (ballot maybe?) and put the rest in reserved for the time being.

The interesting part is when they go to do the 3rd stage, which would take out the Churchill, BRewongle and O'Reilly stands - they are all categorised platinum.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
    The interesting part is when they go to do the 3rd stage, which would take out the Churchill, BRewongle and O'Reilly stands - they are all categorised platinum.
    Surely they would do this in two stages? - sub-stages maybe. It doesn't make sense to be digging up both sides of the stadium at the same time.

I am actually a bit confused by all this because I thought it was already known that the Bradman/MA Noble would be out of action next season. Isn't that why some red-zone RWOers have already been shifting themselves over to the Brewongle?

As far as I can tell from the information on the Trust's website, stage 3 is an upgrade/refurbishment of those three stands, so we're not necessarily going to see major building work and extended periods of mass unavailability.
    Conrad

I guess we managed with the Trumper Stand. So in the long run it will be better all round, but if they do stuff to the Brewongle/Churchill where does that leave the wraparound Basil Sellers attachment!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

So two seasons af Swans will be effected by this and only a single cricket season, good to see the SCG trust showing how they value the Sydney Swans
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Ha, Ha, Des. It's not April 1.

They certainly won't touch either the Brewongle or Churchill although I think the O'Reilly should have gone with this redevelopment.

An upgrade of facilities would probably mean cramming more seats into the stands. Probably around where Big Al sits. . Rumours are that the seats will become narrower so they can get more in. This means patrons will have to decrease the width of their............................um............... ..............yes, starts with b.

The hill redevelopment took two seasons and that is a distant memory now. Will need a new venue for the aftermatch though.

I hope the light rail goes ahead just as soon so that we can finally say that we caught a tram to the SCG for a game.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
    So two seasons af Swans will be effected by this and only a single cricket season, good to see the SCG trust showing how they value the Sydney Swans
    If you read yesterday's Herald article on the SCG, which ignored the history of Australian Football and our 30 years at the ground, it's not a surprise.

A pitch that paints a thousand words

https://majorprojects.affinitylive.c...port-Final.pdf

Looks like the ground will be 3 metres longer too........

6. Lengthening of the playing field by approximately three metres at its
    northern end; and

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I do hope that the demolition dust doesn't waft over our canapes in the Brewongle. Champers and dust is just so GWS.

Great timing for Primmy and Wardy with your move to our wonderful stand.
    What are you talking about Champers wouldn't get a look in out there. BEER MAAATTEE as my mate says.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    If there's one thing I hate, it's small minded sports administrators.

"It's not about extra seats. If I had my way, it would be a smaller capacity," chairman Rodney Cavalier told ABC Radio on Tuesday.

"The future of spectator sport is not in capacity but comfort for those who come.

"That's the trend across the world, especially in North America."
    Surely you can have both!
    He's not just being small-minded. Cavalier has been so two-faced with his comments over the past couple of days.

In yesterday's Herald, he waxes lyrical in almost hushed tones about how membership of the SCG was impossible to obtain unless it was inherited, and how he personally had to become a politician to get one; today he blathers on about how the ground belongs "to all of NSW, not just eastern Sydney" - even though he'd like it to be smaller, perhaps to maintain the air of virtually British exclusivity?

Premier defends upgrade for 'iconic' SCG

I know he's a former politician from a long-ago, unlamented Labor government, but really.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
    The Swans have 8 games at the SCG per season. The Cricket has a 5 day test, numerous one day games and now the 20 bash thing. To that add State cricket and there are far more people affected watching cricket than there are watching AFL.

So it is unfortunate for us but does make sense.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    The Swans have 8 games at the SCG per season. The Cricket has a 5 day test, numerous one day games and now the 20 bash thing. To that add State cricket and there are far more people affected watching cricket than there are watching AFL.

So it is unfortunate for us but does make sense.
    Well... it is the Sydney CRICKET Ground. I am happy to criticise the SCG Trust for many things, but prioritising the cricket season isn't one of them.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast