Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG Redevelopment Stage 2: Noble, Bradman, Messenger

Did I hear the video correctly ... ready for the 2014 Ashes series and MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL?

I said to my wife that it looked like a shopping centre. I just wish they would get rid of those piddling little members stands though, or at the very least rebuild them in the same character, but larger and more modern. If they are really serious about spectator comfort that has to be the next step.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by MadCanuck View Post
    Did I hear the video correctly ... ready for the 2014 Ashes series and MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL?
    Yep! Heard that too!
    Swannies for life!

Happy and I know it
    I would have liked to see the view of the field from the seating in the video. That's really the reason I go to the footy.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I said to my wife that it looked like a shopping centre. I just wish they would get rid of those piddling little members stands though, or at the very least rebuild them in the same character, but larger and more modern. If they are really serious about spectator comfort that has to be the next step.
    It will never happen.

Surely you can't be serious. Have you really got no appreciation for the history of those stands or their beauty? Stupid, baffling statement if your not joking (really tone never comes across in writing).

B&F 2014 in that dining room?
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

I just wish they would get rid of those piddling little members stands though, or at the very least rebuild them in the same character, but larger and more modern.
    NotSureIfSerious.jpg
    -

Major League Baseball to be staged at the AFL ground, which is the home of the Swans?

Meanwhile at the Sydney Showground the arena that was designed to host Olympic baseball has been converted to an AFL ground!

As I recall, there was something like $56 million added to the construction budget for the RAS move from Paddington to enable the showring to have the shape required for internation competition baseball. Certainly the grandstands at the new showring were sited along the sides from 'home base' towards 1st and 3rd bases.

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Surely you can't be serious. Have you really got no appreciation for the history of those stands or their beauty? Stupid, baffling statement if your not joking (really tone never comes across in writing).
    Why? Because you disagree with it? Your post adds nothing to the discussion. But just to humour me, what is the historical significance of those stands? Or are you just repeating the "historical significance" line because you can't come up with a better argument. Just because something is old and ugly doesn't make it historically significant.

BTW, it may be helpful if you are able to use more thoughtful terms and not call people's opinions "stupid" just because you disagree with them.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

But just to humour me, what is the historical significance of those stands?...Just because something is old and ugly doesn't make it historically significant.
    Here are the reasons, straight from the Heritage Listing Register:

The historical significance of the Sydney Cricket Ground shows the original links to the British game and the original settlement by the British and their army. The ground has links not only to the British settlement but also to the area of land that was set aside for the residents known as Sydney Common. The Sydney Cricket Ground is a cornerstone of Sydney's sporting history.
    As for the stands being old and ugly, that's far more subjective. I attended the Big Bash game between the Sixers and the Stars a couple of weeks ago, sat in the Trumper Stand, and got a very nice view of the Members and Ladies Stands set against the city skyline on a pleasant evening.

Of course, nice views don't justify the snobbish elitism that pervades the SCG Trust, but the comments on the Heritage Register go a long way to explaining why the SCG often seems more British than Australian.
    Last edited by ScottH; 17th January 2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Surely they would do this in two stages? - sub-stages maybe. It doesn't make sense to be digging up both sides of the stadium at the same time.

I am actually a bit confused by all this because I thought it was already known that the Bradman/MA Noble would be out of action next season. Isn't that why some red-zone RWOers have already been shifting themselves over to the Brewongle?
    no I was moving to get away from a stalker and (along with ORB) having to get there at sparrows to mind seats for people who have never ever offered to mind them for us should we be late. ORB is staying there for the ticket flexiblility and Primmy and I are orf to get a different view and sit with non stalkers. But we always knew that it would happen some day - so they are, and wisely in financial terms, getting it all done in one hit - it makes good business sense really. They are getting it knocked over in one and a half seasons - its a smart move really then it will all be done.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast