Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG Redevelopment Stage 2: Noble, Bradman, Messenger

the heritage stands will stay - BUT - their facilities need a major upgrade - the loos are straight out of the 50-'s - however, the seating is good in that you get more leg room - but it will cost millions to give it a bit it a big spruce up. Cavalier is still living in a bygone era - but then what else can you expect from a former politcal gravy train snout in the swill kind of guy?
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

My main fear/suspicion is that, if it weren't for the open upper seating and the age of the stand, the Messenger would probably be platinum-rated. The equivalent position around the ground is platinum or on the very edge of gold, so we may have to pay more to get back into that spot once the new stand is built. I'm thinking that the area in front of the new big screen would be just right.
    Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Here are the reasons, straight from the Heritage Listing Register:

The historical significance of the Sydney Cricket Ground shows the original links to the British game and the original settlement by the British and their army. The ground has links not only to the British settlement but also to the area of land that was set aside for the residents known as Sydney Common. The Sydney Cricket Ground is a cornerstone of Sydney's sporting history.
    As for the stands being old and ugly, that's far more subjective. I attended the Big Bash game between the Sixers and the Stars a couple of weeks ago, sat in the Trumper Stand, and got a very nice view of the Members and Ladies Stands set against the city skyline on a pleasant evening.

Of course, nice views don't just the snobbish elitism that pervades the SCG Trust, but the comments on the Heritage Register go a long way to explaining why the SCG often seems more British than Australian.
    The problem with the "historical significance" of the stands is that they are not the original stands. If they were there might be a justifiable case. In fact an older stand was relocated from the SCG to North Sydney oval many years ago. The Brewongle stand is in either it's second or third incarnation.

IMO if they want to keep the heritage of the stand, relocate them next to the old "Bob" stand at North Sydney.

BTW "Ugly" may be subjective, but old isn't.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    the heritage stands will stay - BUT - their facilities need a major upgrade - the loos are straight out of the 50-'s - however, the seating is good in that you get more leg room - but it will cost millions to give it a bit it a big spruce up. Cavalier is still living in a bygone era - but then what else can you expect from a former politcal gravy train snout in the swill kind of guy?
    I think I said a similar thing and go told my opinion was stupid.

I've never liked the members and ladies stands and wouldn't be at all perturbed if a bulldozer ran out of control down Driver Ave and ran into them. I would love the SCG to have the facilities that the brilliant MCG and Etihad stadiums have.

I know it'll never happen because of the heritage listing but one can dream.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    The Swans have 8 games at the SCG per season. The Cricket has a 5 day test, numerous one day games and now the 20 bash thing. To that add State cricket and there are far more people affected watching cricket than there are watching AFL.

So it is unfortunate for us but does make sense.
    Actually, that is not really true. There may be more games of cricket, but the crowd numbers are not that different. The SCG report for 2011 showed cricket had total attendance of 256,000 versus 232,000 for AFL - with the ashes test being 179,000 of the cricket number (and that was a record). In 2010, the cricket numbers were 183,000 (89,00 for the test) versus 188,000 for the Swans - and that is probably more typical.

So it would be fair to say, we are both as important to the Trust.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I've never liked the members and ladies stands and wouldn't be at all perturbed if a bulldozer ran out of control down Driver Ave and ran into them. I would love the SCG to have the facilities that the brilliant MCG and Etihad stadiums have.

I know it'll never happen because of the heritage listing but one can dream.
    That's why Sydney has ANZ Stadium.... The SCG will always be smaller and will retain the historical stands. As soon as they decided to have the Olympics out at Homebush, the door was closed on a full on redevelopment of the SCG to something more like the MCG.

I like that we'll get a modernisation of the SCG whilst keeping the stands that have real historical significance. Looking to the future whilst having an eye to the past yada yada yada

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    That's why Sydney has ANZ Stadium.... The SCG will always be smaller and will retain the historical stands. As soon as they decided to have the Olympics out at Homebush, the door was closed on a full on redevelopment of the SCG to something more like the MCG.

I like that we'll get a modernisation of the SCG whilst keeping the stands that have real historical significance. Looking to the future whilst having an eye to the past yada yada yada
    The Members stand was built in 1886 and the Ladies stand in 1896. The Members stand at the MCG was the third version built in 1927, so that's why it was demolished and the contents retained in the new stand.

So the building of the Olympic Stadium didn't affect the retention of the old stands at the SCG. They should have pulled the O'Reilly stand down now as well because it will look really dated against the other newer stands.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

The Members stand was built in 1886 and the Ladies stand in 1896. The Members stand at the MCG was the third version built in 1927, so that's why it was demolished and the contents retained in the new stand.
    According to the SCG Trust timeline the members stand was the second one built on that piece of ground. As I stated earlier, it is not the original stand.

The funniest part of that is that 75 years ago they were going to replace those two stands, but it still hasn't happened!

From the timeline (cut and paste) off their website:

1886 Messrs Parry & Son successfully tendered for the construction of a new Members Pavilion. The old wooden pavilion on the site was demolished and the new pavilion was completed in November 1886 at a cost of 6,625 pounds.

1894 The name of the ground was changed to the Sydney Cricket Ground.

1895 The Hill Stand (later called the Bob Stand) was opened. This stand was moved to North Sydney Oval in 1983.

1896 The present Ladies Stand was completed. The Ned Gregory Scoreboard was built. A cycle track was laid around the perimeter of the ground.

1897 The Northern Stand was erected to the north-east of the Members' Pavilion.

1898 Lights were installed around the cycling track and the ground was a popular venue for cricket, athletics, tennis, baseball, football and cycling.

1903 The Members' Pavilion was extended.

1909 The Sheridan Stand was completed on the site where the Churchill Stand would later be built.

Althought the Members is not the original stand, it was built in 1886 and extended in 1903. So it obviously was much better than the original stand they had up.

Another thing to think about with regard to the demolition and rebuild is that the building industry shuts down between late December and most of January.

I used to watch the cricket from the Sheridan stand and was there for the last game that alcohol was allowed to be brought into the SCG legally by patrons. After a massive beer can fight on the hill, they banned alcohol and then for the next game the SCG amazingly sold alcohol in cans in the ground. This equalled the previous beer can fight if not worse. It was another strange part of the history of the SCG that hasn't been repeated.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    the heritage stands will stay - BUT - their facilities need a major upgrade - the loos are straight out of the 50-'s - however, the seating is good in that you get more leg room
    I'm all for the traditional seats and not those flimsy plastic seats they have in loos these days. More leg room in the toilet cubicles I say, where you can store your bag and picnic basket!

Wardy, how lucky will you be next season to rid yourself of the stalker and get to sit in a stand with two fine male specimens of raw manhood !

Another thing to think about with regard to the demolition and rebuild is that the building industry shuts down between late December and most of January.
    You're right there. Even in dedicated football land (Geelong) they are about to start the demolition of the Doug Wade Stand to rebuild it. That is going to take a couple of footy seasons as well.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast