Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does Geelong stay within the salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    but the point of this is how do they manage to fit all their stars into the salary cap.
    Good financial managment team, well structured contracts, players like Bartel taking cuts after 2009.

You can't tell me they all take a pay cut and stay around the club for the love of it, that is bull dung.
    They don't, but enough do.

Players salaries increase each year if they are a commodity and they have about 3/4 of a side that would be on the commodity list of every other side.
    They've lost players to salary cap pressure, a few of these considered blue chip. Some have gone on with it at other clubs, others have struggled. Mumford and Prismal to name two.

Shotties the first point is exactly as I said so I don't see your argument with that. Their payments outside the salary cap therefore not included in the salary cap wouldn't you say!
    No, you said Mooney and Ling's payments were outside the cap, I corrected you, as only part of them are.
    Buying premiership glory? - The Drum Opinion (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Backers flood Geelong Cats wanting to sponsor Gary Ablett - Local News - Geelong, VIC, Australia

The deal went ahead and Ablett only made one appearance for the Costa group as far as is known and the AFL allowed third party deals to slip through the net in some circumstances. In the case of GWS and Tom Scully the AFL decided it was a definite third party deal. It is very interesting that if a deal was under 1.4% of the total that is paid to players then it is ok. But payments far in excess of this have been ignored in the case of the Costa/Ablett deal and the deals made by Essendon in the case of Hird and Lloyd.
    Uh, that set up was to prevent Ablett going to the Coast and was being negotiated for the next season going forward. In any case, neither of those articles mentioned the parameters or details of any arrangement.

No neither article does but it was reported in another article that only one public appearance was made and I am still looking for that article.

1. Mumford was not a 'A' Player as far as Geelong were concerned and nor was Prismal.

2.Bartell took a cut for a third party deal.

3. You did not correct anything you said their payments were outside the salary cap.

4. Why are you so vehement in your defence of Geelong are you a Geelong supporter?

5. The AFL has to change Third Party rules so the cannot be manipulated

6. The NRL had to get rid of the Draft because a club challenged it as restraint of trade and won. Maybe, just maybe the AFL is afraid if it comes down hard on third party agreements the same will happen to them

I know why it was set up and it didn't work but it was still set up and GC still managed to better the deal

Most players in the league have Third Party Sponsorship Deals. Those deals are not at issue here it is the deals set up as Salary Cap Boosters with little or no impact from the player on the Third Party Deal that is at issue. i remember many years ago when Rugby Union was an Amateur Game a certain Australian Representative Player was employed by a Hotel Chain as a Cellar-man on $100,000/year. A Cellar-man's Salary at that time was approximately a tenth of that and the player had never stepped foot in the cellar of the hotel. If they hadn't done this the player would have gone to Rugby League. Some of the Third Party Deals are to me stinking of the same backhand deals done then. 'We don't have enough money left in the Salary Cap so who is going to boost our boy's salary for us'.

I am quite happy for players to have Third Party Sponsorship Deals just as long as they are legitimate and not just a Salary Cap Booster in which the player does little or nothing for the money except play footy. That is fraudulent behavior as they are misusing Third Party Agreements to boost the Salary Cap. One of the reasons I dislike this behavior is that it undoes all the work the AFL has been trying to do around the draft and salary cap to get more equity in the competition.

Purely and simply the poorer clubs have no hope in this scenario because they will not be able to compete with the likes of Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon etc, the richer clubs.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    They may also have backended their contracts so when their vets like Ling, Ottens, Milburn and Scarlett retire, their hefty salaries will be able to be paid to the next generation (in age) such as Bartel, Mackie and Taylor.

No neither article does but it was reported in another article that only one public appearance was made and I am still looking for that article.
    Okay, so we're back to square one. The third party deal that Costa was attempting to arrange was for the 2011 season Ablett was to play with Geelong. Just mull that over.

3. You did not correct anything you said their payments were outside the salary cap.
    Your original statement was:
    " Ling and Mooney were veteran listed and therefore not included in the salary cap"
    My first reply:

"No, it means part of their payments are outside the cap."

A portion of a players salary being outside the cap is not the same as the whole which is what's implied by your original post.

4. Why are you so vehement in your defence of Geelong are you a Geelong supporter?
    Vehement defence? You're posting half truths and "I heard"s and extrapolating various scenarios. I'm just correcting.

If you're going to keep on saying X was paid so much to do this or another player took salary cuts in exchange for third party deals can you please provide some kind of back up?

In the Voice of the Outer ? Blog Archive ? Operation Ablett
    AFL stars' secret perks as extra payments revealed - Page 2 - BigFooty
    Costa pays Ablett for "additional services" [Archive] - The Animal Enclosure - Sports Forum
    The Geelong Advertiser

You might like to look at the fourth article I think it of most interest and the percentage of Gary's salary paid by Costa would then be 10%/year of a 5 year agreement. That makes it $600,000 so I got it wrong but it is still a lot more than the 1.4% allowed by the AFL.

In the Voice of the Outer ? Blog Archive ? Operation Ablett
    AFL stars' secret perks as extra payments revealed - Page 2 - BigFooty
    Costa pays Ablett for "additional services" [Archive] - The Animal Enclosure - Sports Forum
    The Geelong Advertiser

You might like to look at the fourth article I think it of most interest and the percentage of Gary's salary paid by Costa would then be 8%/year of a 3 year agreement. That makes it $40,000/year so I got it wrong but it is still a lot more than the 2% allowed by the AFL. The AFL allowed the Costa/Ablett deal because the figure they were given was only five figures and less than $20,000/year. That is not the case according to his ex-manager. He states it is $120,00 over 3 years. OK the figures were wrong but the intent was to prove that the payments overstepped the AFL Guidelines for Third Party Agreements. The other vexation is that the person paying the price is the president of the club which I think should be made illegal. Could you imagine the outrage expressed in the Melbourne Papers if Richard Colless did the same thing.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 9th February 2012 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Players all the time take a lower than market value salaries to stay at a particular club. I recall the Lions players saying just that during their reign in the early 00's.

If you're offered $500k by Port and $400k by Geelong unless the extra money is vital to you you'll take the lower salary to win premierships.

It all up to what the players priorities are at the time. If you have a young family who are entrenched in an area the cash offered would have to be a lot more for you to move whereas a young bloke starting out will chase the cash. There's a particular young Geelong ruckman who got an offer to good to refuse and one Geelong couldn't match.

I would imagine that Goodes has had some huge offers over the years but he chooses to stay at a club he loves.
    The Brisbane players contracts were back loaded which meant they were paid more atthe end of their contracts which were quite long, hence the sudden fall from grace when a few of them moved on or retired, there wasn't enough backup talent to keep the team competitive when the big money had to be handed out to Voss and Co
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    The Brisbane players contracts were back loaded which meant they were paid more atthe end of their contracts which were quite long, hence the sudden fall from grace when a few of them moved on or retired, there wasn't enough backup talent to keep the team competitive when the big money had to be handed out to Voss and Co
    the same thing has not happened with the Cats Gong Swan they are leaving with no extra expense to the club. That to me seems really fishy and as Costa is so good on seafood I would suspect it is

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Don't forget Wolfie, it was widely held (I think with good reason) that we got Mummy because Geelong had salary cap troubles.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12