Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Media Ladder predictions 2012

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Why get surprised, angry or outraged? The 'experts' have done it for a few years now, and we prove them wrong - what's the big deal?
    Agree, but geez surely the club has earnt the respect by now that we are and have been mostly a top 8 side for a long time. These media 'experts' just cant accept it for some reason. This prediction by crawf is nearly as bad as billy brownless saying the 05 flag was a fluke back in 06 and we will slide.

Veterans List
    Most of these so called "experts" really have no idea and don't follow what's happening with teams personnel or a teams draw to make a sensible decision.

Hawthorn and Freo were cruelled by injuries last year to a stack of key players so I'd expect them to advance up the ladder. Hawthorn really should have made last year's GF and Freo finally have a decent coach and a huge home ground advantage.

Can't see Collingwood, Geelong, Carton or WCE being any weaker this year than last so not much change at the top of the ladder.

North and Melbourne both have the luxury of four games total against GWS and GC so they should rise too.

More importantly, are the Swans potentially a better side than 2011? I'd think so, therefore we should also rise.

From what I've read, tTeams and players talking up the their ladder position over their 2011 finish with "we'll make the eight" talk are North Melbourne, Freo, Wretchmond and Melbourne.

But for every rise there must be a fall, so who in the 2011 final eight is going to drop out to make way for those supposedly on the rise? Essendon, St.Kilda?

It's why the Melbourne based scribes always have us out of the eight, they just can't fit in the Freo's and NM's etc without pushing someone out and the most expendable is us of course.

So understand how they end up with us out of the eight and let's hope we prove them wrong - AGAIN!

Well won't they all be feeling pretty stupid when we win our first 11 games of the Season, have a week off with a bye and then play 3 games at home in a row!

Quote Originally Posted by linko View Post
    That's fine, they will keep underestimating us as they do every year to their peril. I do not see the talent that would make Freo, Nth, Ess, Dogs, StK better than us. I even think that WC will stumble this year after overacheiving last year. We will be competing with Carl and WC for the last spot in the 4 IMO.

Link
    Doggies, Saints on the way down and needing to rebuild. Freo are in a similar possie really as they need to look at height in their forward line. They still haven't addressed that. North I don't see doing much as there will probably be player disharmony when the payments start to slow. Essendon will do OK but I still see them as about 1 to 3 years behind us. Carlton have to win one in the next two or I think players will start to leave. WCE are not going away, Worsfold is a mongrel and mongrels win premierships. Look at all the very successful coaches, Mick, Sheeds, Jeans, Kennedy, Barrassi, Barney, Thompson, Scott and even our own Roosie had mongrel about them. They knew how to win and played it hard.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I must admit that when I clicked on this I thought it was an old thread. He did exactly the same last year and I wouldnt be surprised if this was the same ladder reprinted. He says this to create a storm with supporters so that they can sell papers.
    That's rather cynical Dosser. Why would such a reputable, fair minded, accurate and incisive rag want to do that? Besides they sprout daily that they are the biggest selling paper in Australia. How many more readers do they think they can get? I suspect it is done to hold the line on sales. I heard figures quoted this week that despite the huge increase in population since 1950, they actually sell less papers today than they did back then.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    That's rather cynical Dosser. Why would such a reputable, fair minded, accurate and incisive rag want to do that? Besides they sprout daily that they are the biggest selling paper in Australia. How many more readers do they think they can get? I suspect it is done to hold the line on sales. I heard figures quoted this week that despite the huge increase in population since 1950, they actually sell less papers today than they did back then.
    You can remove all the Collingwood fans from your definition of 'readers' of that rag...

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Briefly off topic Nic, but all newspapers are in that same boat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Kirk View Post
    In today's herald sun Shane Crawford had Sydney finishing in 11th. These are his full predictions.

1. Hawthorn
    2. Collingwood
    3. Carlton
    4. Geelong
    5. Fremantle
    6. West Coast
    7. Essendon
    8. North Melbourne
    9. St Kilda
    10. W. Bulldogs
    11. Sydney
    12. Melbourne
    13. Richmond
    14. Adelaide
    15. Brisbane Lions
    16. Gold Coast
    17. Port Adeliade
    18. GWS

Some of the teams he has us behind astound me, i think i will wait for a more reputable media personality to have his 2c.

There is no link to this on the herald sun website(that i know of).
    Crawf was pretty accurate last year.

2011 Media predictions..

NOT!!

Well the new BFNews site has my tick of approval.

Sydney Swans 2012 Season Preview | The BigFooty News

4th - 6th

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Because, perhaps, most on RWO would be scared he could be right. But that sentiment doesn't seem to sit well here.
    I'm kinda with Frog here. (Or at least, I think I am, if I have understood him correctly.) Predictions are uncertain things. Many things can happen. Most teams will probably finish within a few spots of where they finished last year, but history tells us that a few will move significantly up or down the table. I don't think many would have given much credit this time a year ago to predictions that had the reigning wooden spooner finishing top 4. Yet most seasons there has been a bolter and it could very well happen again.

There is also not a huge amount to choose - typically - between teams that finish 5th-12th or so. An close game early in the season that can go either way, instilling or knocking confidence of the teams involved. Injuries to key players at inopportune times, or build ups of injuries that challenge a squad's depth.

I do think we have the talent and experience to move up to a top 4 spot in 2012 but that is dependent on many (if not most) of the following happening:

Goodes retaining his form;
    Mummy staying fit;
    Someone (or preferably two) standing up in the forward line
    Jack, JPK, ROK and at least one other midfielder having strong, consistent seasons;
    Decent injury run
    A youngster like Rohan or Jetta taking a big step forward
    The team holding its nerve in more close games than not
    etc
    etc

The only one of the teams that Crawford has finishing above us that I will be very surprised if that happens is the Dogs, simply because I think their midfield lacks a bit of depth and (surprisingly, given a past reputation for lots of skilful but soft outside runners) pace and I have no idea who is going to kick their goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Because, perhaps, most on RWO would be scared he could be right. But that sentiment doesn't seem to sit well here.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not scared about it being right at all. If we finished 11th or lower I'd be very surprised.

For sure, pre-season predictions always get a rise out of RWO, but this one is particularly risible because a) Crawford is a professional clown and b) we're asked to believe actual ladder positions can be predicted even before the NAB Cup.

Remember last year a lot of people thought the Bulldogs would challenge for the flag and that the Cats would be lucky to make the four. I don't recall anyone predicting that the Saints would scrape into the finals let alone the West Coast making the four.

The Swans have been in the top part of the mid-table logjam in the last two years. This year we have a friendly draw so with a good run with injuries, positive form from the likes of Mumfood, Jack and Goodes and a better conversion rate, we're a chance for the four. Absent those and we may well struggle to make the finals. Way too early to make any kind of call, unless you're a retired player with zero cred on a News Ltd contract.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast