Thread: Radical idea; funny, compelling and worth pursuing...maybe

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar

Radical idea; funny, compelling and worth pursuing...maybe

I've had this nagging idea that's been banging on and on for ages now so I'll test it with you smart folk to see whether it's worth a go.

When the little kidlets run out onto the SCG at half time for their Auskick debut in front of a 28,000 strong crowd how awesome would it be (from the kidlets' perspective) if all 28,000 people - minus the 6,458 that are at the bar or in the loo - gave them the biggest roar they've ever heard? I'm talking an ovation, Grand Final style. You'd stop them dead in their tracks! They'd be talking about it for weeks, even months! (1 week kidlet time = 1 month adult time so that's alot)

I mean, it's pretty much dead silent when the run out. Personally, I'd love to give them a big shout of encouragement but I'd look a bit odd doing it on my own (like a drunk, overzealous dad who just couldn't let his failed footy career go).

So, what do you think? How do we make it happen? Should we pick a round, involve the club, get them to help promote it, get some flyers on match day, turn it into a world record (maybe not). And we could get other clubs involved that round, make it spread, kind of like Earth Hour but with a Wiggles theme (ok, maybe not)! The kids won't have a clue what we're planning, I'm pretty sure of that. And if they do, it will be the last thing on their mind when it happens, my goodness.

And I reckon you could line up a sponsor to donate a set sum per decibel recorded to a good cause - something specific rtahre than just a straight donation to a charity, like an upgrade to a wing of a children's hospital or a particular development program for disadvantaged kids.

In all seriousness, I believe the kids will love it, the parents will cry, we'll all have fun and help out a good cause, it will be a great marketing opportunity for the Club, we'll all get lots of YouTube clips and it would be achieved with only a little inspiration and a heck of a lot of word of mouth (supported by the club and its sponsors of course).

Am I mad? Thoughts?

Dan
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Blog Entries
    Radical? Yes
    Worth Pursuing?? Most definitely.

You're right, the kids would love it.

How to orchestrate it and get it going is a little tricky.
    You'd need to get the people who sit near the race where the kids come out to get involved, otherwise the kids may not realise it's for them.
    Then it just needs to catch on.

Great idea. Good luck pulling it off.

I played in what was called 'The Mosquito Fleet' in Broken Hill. That is the same is 'Little League' 'Auskick' or 'Mini League' VFL. AFL and SANFL respectively. In the bush the supporters cheer on the kids during the half time match and give them the same treatment as the big guys. It is easier because there is only one match of Under 12's. I think it a great idea to cheer the kids on and I always clap a good bit of footy if I see it in one of the Auskick games. Any kind of encouragement never hurts and has enormous psychological benefit to the kids.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Alright then. I'll think about how this can be done and will repost some thoughts later. Thanks for the feedback!
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

I love it

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    excellent idea

Warming the Bench
    In 1970 due to zoning I use to have to play for North Melbourne each week in the Little League the captain was Wayne Harmes in those days there was only the one game on the ground and we used the whole ground so there was a little bit more interest from the crowd, the scoreboard actually had the scores up so if it was close there was a fair bit of cheering. I remember in the late 70's South were playing St Kilda at Moorabbin and the saints banner had a derogatory remark about us on it and their players refused to run through it so they put it up for their little league to run through and they wern't allowed to run through it either.