Thread: Valentine's Dinner - Can you beat mine tonight?

Valentine's Dinner - Can you beat mine tonight?

Well you're probably wondering what on earth I'm on about. No I hadn't met some old chook off an internet dating website. I gave that away before Christmas when I realised I just wasn't crazy enough.

So, guess who I had dinner with tonight?????

I had dinner tonight with the following: Jarred MCVeigh, Matt Spangher, Dylan McNeil and Tom Mitchell.

It was a very quiet setting of 12 of which 4 were the Swans guys and dinner was at the Terrigal Hotel.

The four of them are up here on the Central Coast as part of the Community Camps. Jarred and Tom were at my son's school (Point Clare Primary) this afternoon for a special school assembly. I got to meet the two of them out the front and then took them over with our local AFL Representative.

Jarred asked the school does anyone know when the Swans last won the Grand Final. My son yelled out 2005. I was talking about that at dinner with Jarred and he said the two teachers next to him were saying 199.....something.

Matt and Dylan did a training session for an hour later in the afternoon and they got about 70 kids there. Which was good for up here.

Tonight we went to dinner as it was part of the guys meeting the local Junior Club Presidents and interested teachers. It being Valentine's Day didn't help but I sat opposite both Jarred and Tom for most of the night and it was great.

Sorry as much as I was tempted to quiz the guys over things, I tried not to be too intense.

Intra-Club will start at about 9am with a 20 minute warm up and then the game. Jarred said he hated that game and thought it was the worst of the year. Basically because everyone knows what everyone else is suppose to be doing.

I asked him about Bevo and he said that he is really enjoying it over in Perth. Poor Bevo was shocked not to have ended up at GWS.

We spoke about GWS and the guys were looking forward to beating them but had to be very careful about not becoming complacent.

They visited Gosford Hospital between 4 and 5 pm and I imagine that would have been hard for Jarred. Fortunately there weren't too many kids there and I think none with serious illness. They did talk to a girl who had just had her knee reconstruction and she was so impressed with them as they knew what she had been through.

For those of you that are into 2 degree of seperation, I won't wash my hand so that those that go on Friday can shake it.

Reminds me abit of the Stephen Fry special when he toured the USA and he shook hands with two ladies who were in their 90's. Their grandfathers had fought in the Civil War and Fry was just amazed how he touched someone who had
    touched someone from the Civil War. I told you I wasn't crazy enough for internet dating.

OK, back on track with dinner.

Tom is really quiet. However, his build is the same as Jarred's and I would be very surprised if he didn't play in firsts this year. He was chalk and cheese with Dylan in terms of the way they came across. You would have thought Tom had been playing firsts for a few years.

Dylan seemed too young to be playing but he has a good cheeky sense of humour.

Matt is a really funny guy. More on him later.

We ordered our meals as a group as the AFL was shouting and when the buzzer went off, Dylan and Tom stood up and Jarred still seated looked at them seriously and said - "You guys can bring my meal back for me". You should have seen the expressions on their faces because they weren't sure if he was serious or not. He then realised and started laughing.

According to Jarred:

When one is eating soup, one must make sure that the spoonn is inserted into the soup and pushed away from one's self. The spoon is then lifted to the mouth and the soup is poured into the mouth. Under no circumstances is the spoon permitted to touch the lips or mouth

So there you go, you heard it from the Captain and remember that next time you're eating soup.

One of the other President's ( female) said to Jarred, what about missing out on Valentine's Day with your wife. He said; "Every day is like Valentine's Day at his place". I make no further comment in case his wife reads this!

Jarred went through their week and they actually have someone from Masterchef (past contestant) come in and cook for them 3 times a week at the Club. It's amazing how busy they are during the week, If it's not training, then its weight sessions and meetings. They get 2 massages a week.

He turns 27 this year and hopes to be playing many seasons yet. Touch wood for injuries.

They were concerned about the renovations at the SCG because of it affecting fans.

Normally they play their best team in the last two games of pre-season but with having the second week off, the Club was still working out how to manage it. The break was too early in the season.

He said the new Fitness guy they got from Easts has been really good and their fitness levels have improved on previous years.

I spoke to Matt and told him about the RWO Strut thing and how it originated. He just laughed and said that some of the guys did find the clip and show it to him.

I asked him about his injury. He said last week it was 6 to 8 weeks but this week it's 4 to 6. He said he tore it pretty well but if he had torn it off the bone it would have been the season, so he was very relieved. He is a really funny guy and for you ladies he is SINGLE. I told him how he reached cult status with us here in the way that he finished off the season.

It was funny as Jarred's Dad and Mum were in the pub having dinner as well and we said go and join them and he stayed with the rest of us until their duties were finished and then he went and joined them whilst the other guys went back to the Hotel.

They all wore Swans gear in the afternoon but tonight it was just T-shirts and jeans and I don't think anyone in the Pub even knew who they were.

They were all really down to earth and polite. We spoke about alot of things that weren't football and some things I can only repeat verbally. Ha Ha.

So it was a great Valentine's Day dinner and one to remember for many years ahead.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Blog Entries
    Wow. What a night bas.

Great write up.

Btw, the masterchef chick is Courtney. She posts on twitter fairly regularly about her feasts for the boys.

Sent from my phone.

I gues its about time you had all the luck, but still......nice coverage, see you at the game......weather permitting......showers ok, thundering rain not ok. xx
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Btw, the masterchef chick is Courtney. She posts on twitter fairly regularly about her feasts for the boys.

Sent from my phone.
    Scott, it is Courtney. I wasn't sure if it was a Swans TOP SECRET weapon this year.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Scott, it is Courtney. I wasn't sure if it was a Swans TOP SECRET weapon this year.
    Her pic was on the website a few weeks ago at a lunch for the boys.The lovely nutritionist was in it also..I forget her name but she is a charming Scottish lass.

I'm sure Jarred is glad he foresook a romantic dinner with Mrs Mac for the chance to meet you, Bas.

Is Tommy M. fit to play? I see he's getting nominated by a lot of DT/Supercoach experts but I thought he was recovering from a big injury and was unlikely to play much this year.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Interesting read and write up

Thanks for sharing the experience

Rod_

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    I'm sure Jarred is glad he foresook a romantic dinner with Mrs Mac for the chance to meet you, Bas.

Is Tommy M. fit to play? I see he's getting nominated by a lot of DT/Supercoach experts but I thought he was recovering from a big injury and was unlikely to play much this year.
    I reckon we should start some sort of a DT/Supercoach thread (DT for me) to discuss this sort of stuff. From what I understand Tom M's injury wasn't great and shouldn't hold him back too much this year (fingers crossed). However when I last saw him playing on TV last year he looked like he needed to do a reasonable amount of bulking up. I don't know if he'll be in the squad from round 1 due to this, and also the really strong competition for spots that we've been discussing already. However I reckon he will see game time throughout the year and I might jump on him in DT when he gets his time in the seniors...

ps Great story Bas

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Look, having dinner with your wife on Valentine's Day shouldn't count. It's only for unmarried couples who still haven't realised what that got themselves into. Once you married - too late!

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I last saw him playing on TV last year he looked like he needed to do a reasonable amount of bulking up. I don't know if he'll be in the squad from round 1 due to this, and also the really strong competition for spots that we've been discussing already. However I reckon he will see game time throughout the year and I might jump on him in DT when he gets his time in the seniors...
    Tom wasn't physically any different in size from Jarred. It was especially noticeable when they were standing at the kids assembly. I'm guessing he will debut through mid season.

I'm trying to rememeber what Jarred was saying about their fitness and how GWS will find it hard as the season progresses because of the demands placed on their young guys for fitness. However, as he said any Club can end up like that if you have injuries to a few senior players and then the demands are placed on the youngsters.