Thread: Richards and Smith join leadership group

Senior Player

Richards and Smith join leadership group

Teddy's inclusion I find no surprise, but Smith was out of the box. Also interested to note that Bulldog is still in there, despite being in and out of the side.
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...220-1tjpt.html

Ted has come a long way since he was a bit of a whipping boy on here and playing in the reserves week in week out.

Well played Ted.
    -

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Ted's progress is a heartwarming story, and a testimony to the value of hard work, persistence and solid support.
    Smooch the Silent Assassin may not come with bells and whistles but is genuine captain material and has the makings of a great player IMHO.
    Congratulations to both of them.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Congratulations to Ted and Smooch for gaining a seat at the leadership table.
    Along with being a consistent, dependable defender, Ted brings humour to the table, and a broad outlook on life....
    A table I imagine to be overloaded with resolute sternness, and single minded focus....Good to have a balance I think.
    And for Smooch to have risen so seamlessly, from the rookie list, is amazing.
    I suspect Alex Johnson won't be far behind.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I am glad that some of the R&Wers assessment of Doggy has been validated. He is a very v ery good leader, and I suspect a very good teacher. Royboy and I already have him pencilled in for coaching in the future.

No surprises re Teddy. Perhaps they hope to shut him up re his reports now that he has leadership interests. Or not.

Smooch - not sure if I am surprised or not - he does his job with accuracy and concentration. so.... Well the boys vote them in, ,so they would know best. Good on them all.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I'm actually pleased that Bulldog retained his spot in the leadership group. From the limited reserves games I saw, he was still trying hard all of last year.

Reading between the lines a little, seems he is still highly rated by players and Coaches!

I am hopeful that his leg speed has increased with the loss of weight and build change that has occurred during the off season. All of these should give him the best chance of getting a regular game in the seniors in 2012.

His skills are good, however needs a little confidence at the top level.. If he is given game time he will improve.

Could be another dark horse..

IMO

Rod_

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    I'm actually pleased that Bulldog retained his spot in the leadership group. From the limited reserves games I saw, he was still trying hard all of last year.

Reading between the lines a little, seems he is still highly rated by players and Coaches!

I am hopeful that his leg speed has increased with the loss of weight and build change that has occurred during the off season. All of these should give him the best chance of getting a regular game in the seniors in 2012.

His skills are good, however needs a little confidence at the top level.. If he is given game time he will improve.

Could be another dark horse..

IMO

Rod_
    If McGlynn gets more time in the midfield, as I suspect, there could be an opening in the forwards for someone like Moore. In his limited appearances last year at least he helped provide some structure up forward - I reckon he has been told to go after the small forward role where pressure and tackling are now so highly regarded. I think there is still a place for him in the squad - possibly not in the best 22 but he'd be close.

Also he would have to be planning a move into coaching eventually so this is a good sign for him.

BTW I reckon both Teddy and Nick look the school captain types so the Leadership group should be a good fit. Congrats to them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I am glad that some of the R&Wers assessment of Doggy has been validated. He is a very very good leader, and I suspect a very good teacher. Royboy and I already have him pencilled in for coaching in the future.

No surprises re Teddy. Perhaps they hope to shut him up re his reports now that he has leadership interests. Or not.

Smooch - not sure if I am surprised or not - he does his job with accuracy and concentration. so.... Well the boys vote them in, ,so they would know best. Good on them all.
    I have always been an unabashed fan of Bulldog and I hope that he is in the first 22 and makes a lot of R&Wers eat humble pie. His leadership skills & football brain have been greatly undervalued.

Nick Smith has had "future Captain" stamped on his head for several years already. No surprise. I think Bulldog understands just where he sits footy talent wise and that unless he can pull a few rabbits out of the hat he is likely to have another year as captain of the twos. But just as important, it means that the ressies have a true leader. If a criteria of a leader is an assured firsts place then he should be off. But the kids need leadership and direction too. He's a club leader - full stop.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Smith's speaking has improved a fair bit. He's still clearly not as comfortable as, say, Hanners, but when he first started interviewing almost every sentence finished with an "uuum...." or a "Yeah......" and he tailed off a lot.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anyone else think Smith looked like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders in that press conference. As I was watching it you could see the influence of Craig Bolton who was one of Smooches mentors. Very no nonsense.

Yes, a bit more serious, and still very DEFINITE once he gets going. Love the Smooch.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas