Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NAB Cup Round 1: Swans v Saints v Cats

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Bolton, Jack, Lockyer and Walsh played the Saints game only.
    Mcglynn, Bird, Moore and White played the Cats only.
    ROK, Kennedy, Rohan, Lamb, RLT and Mummy are the few who were named but did not play

Hannerby, Armstrong, Mitchell, Meridth,DLT, Spangler and Brown etc were not named
    I reckon you typed that post at 100WPM Aaron.

I'll have a BLT myself.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Just back from Etihad. It was Etihot tonight. Boys were impressive in the Saints game and pretty much whacked in the Cats game, noticeably in the second half.
    Agree about Cunningham, knows where to be, lost his man very nicely. Defence was good all night, despite the Cats getting away a bit; Reg saved a 9-pointer by touching the ball. I didn't see Walsh do much, but he'd have to need time. Pyke was impressive both in the ruck (those neat palm-downs!) and up forward, positioning himself well. Quite often the forward line was Macca, Walsh, Morton, Reid and Pyke with Goodesy floating in and out; an enormous forward line and Macca looked like a midget.
    Morton played well, Parker was impressive and so, at times, was Lockyer - I kept mixing them up at first. The centre was uneven, awkward at times, sublime at others, but I guess it's that kind of game.
    (Added later) There were some nice touches from Bulldog, and while Jesse didn't do a lot down front, he was also playing a kind of CHF/midfield role, where he did some good things.
    All in all a good night out with lots of encouraging signs.
    Last edited by dimelb; 24th February 2012 at 10:32 PM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Sticking with the young guys......

The family in Wagga called as soon as Harry signed with us and i got on the this site and relayed that the kid is classy and works like kelpie........ and they called him the mini Paul Kelly..........frankly at the same age
    the kid has more skill......did you see him push 100m down the field tonight and bang a hard left foot drive on the run at full pelt - on his wrong foot !

We really havent had a player that can push as hard forward as Harry for a while and push back again in defence with his touch on the ball

Rohan and Jetts can push forward on the run and carry........ but harry has the endurance to push back after a successful raid.......and go again !!!!

Parks - looked sharp enough and played Kennedys role well........ but not as well as Josh in clearing the ball but has more in his game then Josh.....imagine Parks in a couple of years at the same age and experience as JPK
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 24th February 2012 at 10:27 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

wasnt it lovely tonight.........to not see us just kick over the top of the pack...........ROK not doing his kick forward to no one and backing our midfield was awesome and I thought Shaw played really well off the half back line
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Warming the Bench
    I think there will be 2 people suspended by the match review panel this week anyway, Adam Schneider for a dirty knee on parker in the first quarter and Josh Hunts sling tackle on parker.

Pyke looks good cant wait.

We were impressive in the first game and the saints were equally as dismal. I hated how the commentators regularly forgot that Sydney had already played a game in 36 degree heat in the Geelong match. Dwayne Russell is the worst.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Kirk View Post
    I think there will be 2 people suspended by the match review panel this week anyway, Adam Schneider for a dirty knee on parker in the first quarter and Josh Hunts sling tackle on parker.

We were impressive in the first game and the saints were equally as dismal. I hated how the commentators regularly forgot that Sydney had already played a game in 36 degree heat in the Geelong match. Dwayne Russell is the worst.
    Agree totally Cpt! The heat must have had a massive effect - it was at least 34C at the start and why would you push yourself in the last game in those conditions?

Listen to Dwayne when he commented when we beat the Cats at home - not a happy camper.

Across the 2 games Luke Parker was the highlight for me. I keep forgetting that he's only 19. I was disappointed that Jed didn't play as I was looking forward to seeing him running around. Pyke was, by far, the most impressive of the ruck/forward options.

It was of note, IMO, that Horse chose to run our first choice backline, LRT aside, through both games. I thought they all clicked well. AJ is continuing to develop and Ted has become so confident in his ability that you can trust him implicitly when he approaches a contest. Reg and Shaw also did well. The one who impressed me the most was Nick Smith though. It's no coincidence that he has been voted onto the leadership group. What I loved even more was that the commentators didn't discuss him once. They called his name when he was involved but that was it. The less he's named, the lower his profile and the better off we are I reckon. Leave him as the Silent Assassin. I'm probably not the first, but he's the AFL equivalent of former NBA "glove" Gary Payton for mine.

You can't read much into game 2 as they were fresh and we weren't, but the signs from game 1 were positive. I was concerned about the lack of drive from the fresh guys in the game 2 though, aside from Nipper. Moore also tried hard. White may not play a senior game this year though.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Had trouble concentrating but whitey stood out as useless and parker looked sharp.

I like the blue citi bank on the guernsey i need a new one now
    Theres not much left to say

Great to play Geelong in Melbourne.
    Won't see that again soon...
    Fun night, odds were always stacked against us when we play the *fresh* reigning premiers after having already played (effectively) half a game.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Kirk View Post

Dwayne was a cats player remember.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yeah, i am more saying that he is a dismal commentator his views are that of footy decades ago, and some of the things he says makes him look silly and not in touch with afl in 2012. He is a dismal commentator in more games then just the geelong ones. But then again i don't like most commentators.

Sam Reed looked amazing, and considering CHF is considered the hardest position to learn for a 20 yo he is doing amazingly, hopefully his kicking accuracy improves.

Parker will replace Jude as the hardnut and mitchell will replace ROK. (in 2014)

Cunningham was brilliant i reckon.
    Last edited by Cpt. Kirk; 24th February 2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I know. It's rubbed in our faces every time he commentates one of their games. If they were fair dinkum they wouldn't ask him to cover their matches. games. It's really not all that different from Eddie calling Pies games.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph