Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: First game of the season - Swans v GWS

First game of the season - Swans v GWS

I always get worried when its taken for granted that we, or any other team, will automatically win a game because the world at large has deemed that the other team is going be weak. It should be remembered that we got beaten by GWS preseason. And that was last season. OK, it was stinking hot, and had played half a game against GC prior to it, but .....

I cannot see us automatically winning this game, however rest assured I do not see us as automatically losing it either. Its a seriously young team with a seriously old head which is cunning as a rat in a tip. the world at large, and by that I mean most of Victorian sports reporters, should remember this. GWS may have had almost no senior exposure, but it doesn't automatically make it a crap team. They have been doing a LOT of work, A LOT. We have many many young players as well. We could well be given a shakeup.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I always get worried when its taken for granted that we, or any other team, will automatically win a game because the world at large has deemed that the other team is going be weak. It should be remembered that we got beaten by GWS preseason. And that was last season. OK, it was stinking hot, and had played half a game against GC prior to it, but .....
    Do you possibly have GC and GWS mixed up there?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I'm expecting us to smash them, remember with the GC game last year in the preseason which we lost it was incredibly hot and humid, and we had already played half a game of footy.

Our senior team defeated GWS 83-4 at Blacktown in the NAB Cup early this year.. then lost to the GCS. Only our (very senior-listed-depleted) reserves team have lost to GWS.

Goes up to 11
    GWS will not come close to us. As its the first game of the season, we'll come out firing. The second match up later in the season will be more dangerous but they will be nowhere near as good as GC were this year...

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Do you possibly have GC and GWS mixed up there?
    Ah, could be, but that was then and again proves my point. GC had by then been together for a couple of years, and so now have GWS (ish)
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post

I cannot see us automatically winning this game, however rest assured I do not see us as automatically losing it either. Its a seriously young team with a seriously old head which is cunning as a rat in a tip. the world at large, and by that I mean most of Victorian sports reporters, should remember this. GWS may have had almost no senior exposure, but it doesn't automatically make it a crap team. They have been doing a LOT of work, A LOT. We have many many young players as well. We could well be given a shakeup.
    Did you have a bad nights sleep last night and get up on the wrong side of the bed Prims??
    No way on Gods green earth will GWS get within five goals of us, and I'm not someone who tends to be that overly confident or optimistic!
    In my opinion on what I have seen so far, they don't seem to be anywhere near as organized as GCS were at the same time last year and Sheedy looks and reads more and more like a loony tunes character every week.
    And then, above all other reasoning for why we will comprehensibly beat them is the pure and simple fact that on the night we play them, I shall be relaxing in a deck chair, drinking cocktails, somewhere on the Pacific Ocean - Trust me, this fact more then any other, guarantees our sucess!

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    GWS will not come close to us. As its the first game of the season, we'll come out firing. The second match up later in the season will be more dangerous but they will be nowhere near as good as GC were this year...
    Hmm. That's what I thought would happen in 2011.

Still even firing on wet powder we should account for our cross-town rivals (how awesome does that sound BTW!).

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    This year's debacles against Melbourne and Richmond underlined the warning that NO game should EVER be taken for granted.
    Even so, we really ought to flog GWS, and that intention should be the mindset when we take the field.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    There is no reason in god,s earth that we shouldn't flog GW$ (no, that is not a typo with the $)..............same goes for Gold Coast $uns

Bury the bums Swans.

Only a Swans supporter I'm afraid and I don't wish GW$ any good wishes.............just the same attitude as our players and staff

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Realistically, after seeing how the Suns went in their first season, it's going to be a massive ask for GWS to win their first ever AFL game and I don't think anyone really expects them to, but stranger things have happened!

Regular in the Side
    It really concerns me that yes, the Swans will definitely win their first Round 1 game in 7 years. HOWEVER, with an effective bye the next week, I worry that playing Fremantle two weeks later in Round 2 will almost certainly result in a loss. Byes this early in the season are usually fatal, with the lost of necessary momentum. Freo will have played their Round 1 games just a week earlier. They are also developing a good record at the SCG with now back to back wins, 2010 and 2011, (although they were aid and abetted by a 23rd player in the latter win, a certain R.Chamberlain).

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast