Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Sydney Swans win the Premiership?

Of course we can - I've bought myself red and white sneakers that I'll wear to every home game.
    up the guts

Back, strapped and intact dread and might's Avatar
    The hard answer for mine is no, because I believe that too many things will need to go right for them, and wrong for the teams above them.
    This from the article sums it up for me.
    I wish my weed was EMO so it would cut itself

The question is not worded properly.

Can the Swans win the premiership this year? Yes....as can every other team at this time of year.

The real question is .....Will the Swans win the premiership this year? Only time will tell.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Isn't this the reason Morton and Walsh were brought in?
    The club realized that there was too much load on Sammy and have set about trying to correct it. The author doesn't seem to have explored that avenue at all.
    For sure. Morton kicked 41 goals for Richmond last year. If he can do that for us and Reid straightens up, we're 60-odd goals better than last year.

We have a pretty friendly draw, so if we can also improve our field disposal we're a good chance for the four. The big three still look beyond us at this stage.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

As much as I love us I don't think we are quite there due to our ball use.....but there is always the image of that ice skater..Bradley/bradford/bradfield ..to hang on to.Who knows who will get injured or develop tensions etc and we will be the last ones standing....Just watched Shawshank redemption last night and there is always hope.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    As much as I love us I don't think we are quite there due to our ball use.....but there is always the image of that ice skater..Bradley/bradford/bradfield ..to hang on to.Who knows who will get injured or develop tensions etc and we will be the last ones standing....Just watched Shawshank redemption last night and there is always hope.
    Bradbury , one of the great moments in Australian sporting history.

As for goals, looking at last weeks games I think we will adopt a more attacking game plan this year and it may convert into more goals.

I do also begrudgingly agree with the article, will be a stretch to lift the flag. With the potential of the group I think it will take a good run with injury and each player to play to their maximum potential as individuals and as a team. Top four should be the goal for mine and with a little....lot of luck anything can happen from there.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    For sure. Morton kicked 41 goals for Richmond last year. If he can do that for us and Reid straightens up, we're 60-odd goals better than last year.
    It was 2009 that Morton kicked 41 goals. If he can recapture that kind of form this year, we'll be looking good. Also, Pyke needs to play FF/ruck. As well as taking some heat off Sam, he can take a good contested mark and he can kick. Can also ruck. For mine, we need to play both Mumford and Pyke.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Before he was so "lucky", Steve Bradbury twice made it to being among the top 5 exponents of his sport out of all the male human beings on the planet. The guy was an absolute gun. If he is your comparator, you are asking for the Swans to cop a break at the 34 minute mark of the final quarter after having made it to the Grand Final. I think we need a lot more luck than that.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Before he was so "lucky", Steve Bradbury twice made it to being among the top 5 exponents of his sport out of all the male human beings on the planet. The guy was an absolute gun. If he is your comparator, you are asking for the Swans to cop a break at the 34 minute mark of the final quarter after having made it to the Grand Final. I think we need a lot more luck than that.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

The article lacked some depth and foresight. The Swans year ended so well really, due to Spangher and Rohan rejoining. They made a difference and their inputs lifted the weights off the usual suspects. To make the four this year, we will need to have a major lift from McGlyn who was not playing at the same level as he was in 2010 and neither was a few mid-level players. White is a worry. I just cannot see him doing any better than he has and should be replaced by Pike where there is real upside - the guy works at it. Everitt is finished. Just cannot reach the required level. Moore needs to have a big one, and by accounts has really put in the effort For mine, Trent Dennis-Lane and Nick Malceski need to get over the injury blues and win their places back if we are to go higher this year. If they do, we will win. So far Walsh hasn't lived up to the promise. Trust he is a late bloomer and not another Everitt, who played his promised two games and will end up in the SANL.

I think the article is decent, and probably about spot on. However, the season has not started yet, and I have a good feeling we will make more progress again this season. If Sammy really clicks in front of goal (with help from Walsh/Morton/Spangher whoever takes the chance to be the support act), then we will have a key position forward that will become one of the very best players in the game.

There is only upside risk in my opinion this season - and footy is a funny game - rarely does the best list 'on paper' win the flag. I just want more improvement from our team and our younger guys to take those next steps forward. For if they do, I think we are a real good shot to challenge for top 4, and looking further forward I think we will seriously challenge for a flag in the near future!

Veteran Site Admin
    For me the article is a little simplistic about what makes a successful team. It isn't just about the sum of the parts, and the improvement possible in individual players. It is also about how well the team functions together to execute a game plan that can match other teams' styles, and the confidence that comes with it.

It wasn't individual improvement alone that elevated the Weagles from wooden spooners to a top 4 team last year. Or turned the rabble that was the 2006 version of Geelong into one of the powerhouses of recent years. Or enable a team still lacking in experience to win the premiership in 2008. Or even that permitted a team with an ultimate blue collar midfield to win a premiership in 2005.

Rapid improvements in teams can and do happen, and at a rate that can't solely be down to individuals improving.

That is not to say that it will happen with the Swans in 2012. But it certainly could, as it could happen with many other teams who didn't finish top 5 last year.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast