Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Can the Sydney Swans win the Premiership?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Last edited by dimelb; 11th March 2012 at 12:18 PM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Jake Niall says no:
    Why brown and gold is the new black
    So does Mick Malthouse:
    Old Tiger gives coach new kick
    I actually agree with Malthouse about our game plan. I have said so many times before and believe we have to move to a new level to compete. This means the coaching staff changing the game plan to keep up with modern footy just as Malthouse said. I know how predictable Malthouse found us because he made the same moves to counter our moves out of defence every time. I am hoping the coaching staff will find something new this year. Remember, in AFL you only have about a five year window of opportunity and then you have to rebuild for a new campaign of five years.

Horse has introduced a more flexible game but I still see us turning back to the old shut it down when things get a bit tough. We need to counter punch not shut down as that is the modern game. We have the weapons to do this now and should use them and if we do then we will be in the mix.

Malthouse was a bit condescending of Horse saying he was a nice bloke but the game plan is old hat. The meaning of this is nice blokes don't win premierships. Maybe Horse will get a bit fired up and motivated to bring something new to the table and the park.

I didn't mind reading that from Mick. I agree with what he had to say and I think it can only be a positive thing for us to have it mentioned in the press. Maybe it will encourage a different thought process form us? The Pies read us like a book everytime we play them and it helps that they have the players to help him. Not every Club has those players. I feel at times that some Clubs have us completely worked out but they don't have the cattle to pull their plan off for the 4 qtrs.

Friday night we got showed up for pace again no doubt. The Bombers had us covered when they played on. We were off the ball completely when they moved it on quick. The ball moved down the ground way to easily at times as players dropped off their direct opponent. Anytime the tempo of the game is increased we are flat out on our feet. The thing on Friday was that the Bombers couldn't do it for 4 qtrs otherwise they would have won comfortably. The Pies, Hawks, Carlton can and that's why it's hard to compete against them (amongst other reasons!). It's why we struggle on the big grounds. Play on quick and you'll catch us everytime. Richmond last year, Melbourne previously at the G. Teams just need to understand if they keep the games up tempo against us they will be in it everytime.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I didn't mind reading that from Mick. I agree with what he had to say and I think it can only be a positive thing for us to have it mentioned in the press. Maybe it will encourage a different thought process form us? The Pies read us like a book everytime we play them and it helps that they have the players to help him. Not every Club has those players. I feel at times that some Clubs have us completely worked out but they don't have the cattle to pull their plan off for the 4 qtrs.

Friday night we got showed up for pace again no doubt. The Bombers had us covered when they played on. We were off the ball completely when they moved it on quick. The ball moved down the ground way to easily at times as players dropped off their direct opponent. Anytime the tempo of the game is increased we are flat out on our feet. The thing on Friday was that the Bombers couldn't do it for 4 qtrs otherwise they would have won comfortably. The Pies, Hawks, Carlton can and that's why it's hard to compete against them (amongst other reasons!). It's why we struggle on the big grounds. Play on quick and you'll catch us everytime. Richmond last year, Melbourne previously at the G. Teams just need to understand if they keep the games up tempo against us they will be in it everytime.
    Something that struck me on Friday night was that Essendon manned up on us pretty tightly but we tended to hang off them and they made the most of it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    So does Mick Malthouse:
    Old Tiger gives coach new kick
    Grouchy former AFL coach turned commentator making patronising comments about our coach and game plan. Anyone else getting deja vous? Now if we can only get Andy to put us down a bit, it will be just like '05
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Grouchy former AFL coach turned commentator making patronising comments about our coach and game plan. Anyone else getting deja vous? Now if we can only get Andy to put us down a bit, it will be just like '05
    Unfortunately R&R I think he has a point, we do have to do something different. It is no use going into season after season with the same game plan. We have to upgrade to a new game plan. New players, new plan and a brighter future. The players we had were perfect for our game plan in '05 & '06 but after that it all started to fall apart. We now have a far different list so the game plan should change to make use of the talents we have at our disposal.

The cartoon accompanying the Malthouse story says it all. Sounds like he lost a grand final and got thrown out of his club.

Didn't we nearly beat Collingwood last year at a time when they were massacring every other side?

Our game plan isn't the problem - the problem is our inability to hit targets and to score.

The only similarity with 2005 is we still play contested footy. Then we use to chip it along the boundary. Now we're kicking it long through the middle. Every one of our goals against Essendon on Fri night was from the central corridor.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Nothing surer than the Swans winning the flag this year
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    The cartoon accompanying the Malthouse story says it all. Sounds like he lost a grand final and got thrown out of his club.

Didn't we nearly beat Collingwood last year at a time when they were massacring every other side?

Our game plan isn't the problem - the problem is our inability to hit targets and to score.

The only similarity with 2005 is we still play contested footy. Then we use to chip it along the boundary. Now we're kicking it long through the middle. Every one of our goals against Essendon on Fri night was from the central corridor.
    I don't entirely agree, yes we go more direct and not the greater percentage of time to our advantage. There has to be something better than bombing it in to try and stop the press. We have to be one ahead of our rivals in order to win a Premiership. Roos and Worsfold were way ahead of their rivals with the style of contested footy they expected of their players. It was fierce and some Experts labeled it Kamakazi Footy. We need a new angle and I do agree it has a lot to do with delivery.

Based on Friday night , we are no closer to fixing our forward line and skill execution woes.

Yep, we have some way to go. The upside is the pressure's on Hawthorn as redhot favourites.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Another year, another predictable mountain of money thrown at the Hawks. It's like Sheehan's obsession with the Saints from 2004 to 2010. They had the "best list" for years, how did that work out?

I do like the idea of us finishing ahead of the Eagles, though we have some ground to make up on the criminals.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast