Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horse responds to Hype

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Well it was always right in the Bevan vs. Goodes debate.

Edit: I say that without having checked if it's by name or guernsey number!
    Ah, I see what you did there...

It was a very heated debate as well, from memory.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    and I'll throw in something from left field......Alex Johnson. As good as he's been in defence he has played forward. I love his leadership and composure under pressure. Worth a try for periods in a game to throw the opposition around. Grundy, Richards and LRT would more than cover the key forwards
    Good thinking - if all are fit then LRT, Grundy and Ted can cover the talls freeing up AJ to go forward. I think all four of these are in our best 22 so deploying them that way means they all play in the 22 and may solve our forward worries until Spang returns. We know AJ can play across half back and he played CHF at U18 level so worth a shot. Unless Jesse steps up at last (how many times have I and others penned that!?)

On Walsh, lets clarify what he really cost us at the trade table. Fact - we gave picks 35 and 68 for him. Probability - I doubt we would have used pick 68 anyway and given our surprise at Jordan Lockyer slipping through to us at 43 we obviously would have taken him with pick 35. Therefore, in reality Walsh has cost us pick 43, which is a good gamble in my opinion. He just needs to play with the confidence he showed in the International Rules games. Patience is required from us :-)

On the Rookie List
    Where exactly would you play AJ in the forwards? I think he would be monstered at FF ,Reid has a mortgage on CHF and we have ROK, J. Bolton, MacGlynne for the HF flanks and a resting ruck for the pocket plus exciting crumbers like Lamb,LRT for the pockets plus the need to try Spangher,Walsh and White at FF. Where is there a spot for AJ?

He could potentially play the role Spang was playing for us which was neither full forward or CHF but perhaps a tall, lead up HFF. If Spang is still out and Walsh and White cannot prove they are up to it, I think it could be worthwhile seeing what AJ can offer as a third tall type In Our forward half. As has been mentioned, he has played forward in juniors so it's not foreign to him, and with the season Fast approaching, we really need to settle on a forward set up that is going to give us the best chance of making the top 4.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    He could potentially play the role Spang was playing for us which was neither full forward or CHF but perhaps a tall, lead up HFF. If Spang is still out and Walsh and White cannot prove they are up to it, I think it could be worthwhile seeing what AJ can offer as a third tall type In Our forward half. As has been mentioned, he has played forward in juniors so it's not foreign to him, and with the season Fast approaching, we really need to settle on a forward set up that is going to give us the best chance of making the top 4.
    Yeah I agree with most of this but it would have to be a situation where Spang is out and Walsh and White had been tried and discarded as you say. A settled backline is a great thing and with the amount of talk AJ brings he gives confidence to those around him and helps keep the backline honest. Players get used to each others style and positioning. We all know our forwards are unsettled and that is our main problem as a club.We don't want to do anything to unsettle the backline which performs heroically even when the Centre line is getting done and the ball is constantly there.I would think that if AJ was to go forward he should have been there already in the NAB cup so I don't hold out much hope for this to happen. I agree it might work though but I doubt if Horse will do it.

Just wild about Harry
    It will never happen. As has been pointed out in this forum before, most junior players who are any good get placed in the forward line or midfield. If you look at our backline, I think LRT may be the only one who didnt start their career as a mid or forward. Just because they played there as a junior really means nothing when they step up to AFL level.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123