Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse responds to Hype

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Horse responds to Hype

I was going to entitle this thread as "Horse responds to RWO Hysteria" but thought better of it

Longmire not buying hype around Walsh
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Hey, Kennelly wore number 7.

I did not know that.

Walsh's AFL debut is yet to come but with Kennelly's No. 7 on his back and no shortage of promise,
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I was going to entitle this thread as "Horse responds to RWO Hysteria" but thought better of it

Longmire not buying hype around Walsh
    Nice. I read the headline and wondered "What hype?".
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Warming the Bench
    As I have said before we gave up 2 draft picks for this player who was far from being a star in the VFL.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm keen to see what Tommy can do at AFL level, but I don't think there should be too much hype based on his pre-season games to date.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Just wild about Harry
    To be honest, I was carried away by the early hype but after seeing him a couple of times now I think he is about the same as White. Both of them have potential but White currently reads the game better. I think White is starting to clog our list now so that is how far back I now put Walsh.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    As I have said before we gave up 2 draft picks for this player who was far from being a star in the VFL.
    We gave up a pick in the mid-30s in a draft where the top dozen had already been creamed off the previous year, plus a very late pick we were never going to use. Not like we gave up two first round picks.

I think people are making judgements far too soon on Walsh. He was never going to come in and transform our forward line in an instant. He is yet to play a game. But his workrate looks good, he is keen and he is reasonably physical. Let's give him some time.

Against the Dons he looked very slow, he's got the turning circle of a Mac truck.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think people are making judgements far too soon on Walsh.
    Isn't that the standard modus operandi on this site???

I thought he looked great in the International Rules series and that was enough to give me sufficient hope that Tommy has what it takes. I'm happy to give him some time...

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    As our resident latin scholar (go jono2707) says it is unfortunately our modus operandi on RWO. Or to put it in the words of another football philosopher
    "Darling I don't know why I got to extremes
    Too high or too low there ain't no in-betweens"

The proWalsh hype at the time we traded for him was ridiculous/hysterical/adversarial/vituperative, I think someone actually mentioned him and Lockett in the same sentance for goodness sakes! Talk about great white hopes!
    Now of course he's failed to dominate a few games of kick'n'giggle and even with the season still weeks away, I find myself counting down the days until someone compares him to . . . . . Paul Chambers!
    As Liz says time will be needed, Can anyone tell me how long it was before Tadgh made an impact?

FWIW I am certain (based on last years efforts) that we must have three talls in the forward line. St Sam is one of them, the next one must be some sort of ruckman White/Pike/(LRT?). The other tall posi is probably between Spanky/Walsh/Incy. The former is injured and yes the other two are poblematic, but as there aren't any other alternatives, lets give him time.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veterans List
    Agree with you Ruck'n'Roll on most things you said.

There is a need for a FF/ruckman and I was in favour of Pyke (2nd best tap ruckman at the club) until the Essendon game where I then started to favour White. Would one of them please stand up and 'take the vacancy! I don't think LRT is a good enough ruckman to play this role although as a FF he can take a grab.

I think there is a place for Wash but there is still a lot of development needed. He did look very mobile and athletic in the International Rules game so there is plenty to work with.

Spangher is the one who showed quite a bit in his interupted handful of games last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Isn't that the standard modus operandi on this site???

I thought he looked great in the International Rules series and that was enough to give me sufficient hope that Tommy has what it takes. I'm happy to give him some time...
    They're just warming the keyboard in preparation for the "Sack Longmire" threads that start after a few losses.

Sometimes reading RWO is like reading BigFooty. You have to read the threads very slowly because that is how they were written.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast