Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swans Free Agents

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Travis Cloke would look pretty good in red and white. As would Salopek and/or Pearce from Port. I didn't see anyone else on the list that was too appealing outside those 3.
    Salopek ??? No thanks.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    most those blokes are too old to be moving clubs, imagine if we could get Mark McVeigh, Ben Reid and Heath Shaw, 3 sets of brothers in one team, of course only 2 of them on the list, just a thought. Wojo for pace and size wld be a good buy
    I like Wojo (probably mainly because I went to high school with him and he was a good guy, unlike Leigh Brown, who was a dick), but he's probably only got the one season left in him and he has a dodgy foot - even Geelong can't say when he'll play again. He also has a young family, which he's unlikely to uproot to maybe play one more year. Despite two premiership medallions, he couldn't command the money to make it with his while

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    goddard, heath shaw, cloke....quality and any one of those guys would add experience and class. The dickhead factor puts a doubt on shaw but in a new city and with rhyce in the same club i'm less worried.
    i still have my eyes on bed reid in future years...that would be a dream come true giving us the Reid bookends! The affect of Nathan Buckley on the magpie group will be interesting. If he's the same coach he was as a captain then it has the potential to disenfranchise the player group. Magpie land has an interesting few years ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    goddard, heath shaw, cloke....quality and any one of those guys would add experience and class. The dickhead factor puts a doubt on shaw but in a new city and with rhyce in the same club i'm less worried.
    i still have my eyes on bed reid in future years...that would be a dream come true giving us the Reid bookends! The affect of Nathan Buckley on the magpie group will be interesting. If he's the same coach he was as a captain then it has the potential to disenfranchise the player group. Magpie land has an interesting few years ahead.
    I'm glad that someone else picked up on the Buckley factor. I know he was a destabilising influence at Port before he came to the AFL. His ego was huge and it didn't get any smaller when he joined the AFL. Because he was a Territorian the Bears had the rights to him. He had to play for them but did not want to. He made a deal to play one season and then move to Melbourne and the club of his choice. His ego was a problem and it became apparent early in his berating of team-mates who stuffed up or did not kick to him. There were many such incidents even after he was made captain of Collingwood.

I am unsure if Buckley can pull off a coaching job because of the standards he expects and his reaction if those standards are not met. Previously he has always reacted badly in those situations so it is going to be interesting to see if he can temper his personality. Good luck to him but I think it will be a very bumpy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I'm glad that someone else picked up on the Buckley factor. I know he was a destabilising influence at Port before he came to the AFL. His ego was huge and it didn't get any smaller when he joined the AFL. Because he was a Territorian the Bears had the rights to him. He had to play for them but did not want to. He made a deal to play one season and then move to Melbourne and the club of his choice. His ego was a problem and it became apparent early in his berating of team-mates who stuffed up or did not kick to him. There were many such incidents even after he was made captain of Collingwood.

I am unsure if Buckley can pull off a coaching job because of the standards he expects and his reaction if those standards are not met. Previously he has always reacted badly in those situations so it is going to be interesting to see if he can temper his personality. Good luck to him but I think it will be a very bumpy ride.
    Yeah, and if you add 'Eddy the Ego' to the mix, you'd think something has to give.
    I look forward to the inevitable fall out.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Senior Player
    No mention of Hodge? Numero uno, IMO.
    C'mon Chels!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12