Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant struggle in Sydney's west

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar

Giant struggle in Sydney's west

A good honest article about the real issues facing this new bastard child of a club. There is this thought down here that the GWS have already started well. What grates me is most people can't see the massive spin and the way the AFL has engineered the game on Saturday night to make it look like GWS have already garnered a nice supporter base. I came across one person who said they went to buy some GA tickets and when they were asked red or gws they choose RED (swans supporters) and were told no GA seats availbel..but then when they selected GWS there were GA tickets available.

Pretty poor form from the AFL and ironic given that NRL takes a battering from other AFL fans for using the same tactics to increase supporter numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post
    A good honest article about the real issues facing this new bastard child of a club. There is this thought down here that the GWS have already started well. What grates me is most people can't see the massive spin and the way the AFL has engineered the game on Saturday night to make it look like GWS have already garnered a nice supporter base. I came across one person who said they went to buy some GA tickets and when they were asked red or gws they choose RED (swans supporters) and were told no GA seats availbel..but then when they selected GWS there were GA tickets available.

Pretty poor form from the AFL and ironic given that NRL takes a battering from other AFL fans for using the same tactics to increase supporter numbers.
    Exactly right,

I must admit I am sceptical of the press saying that Great Waste of Space fans will outnumber ours.

There is no way that would happen and I would be stunned if that were the case.

I know Facebook doesn't give much of an indication of anything but our official page has over 78,000 people who have "liked" the page.

At this stage GWS is just over 13,000.

Don't forget to double-count some of our members!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Don't forget to double-count some of our members!!
    Exactly

I disagree with you here.

I was impressed by how much support there actually was for the Giants on Saturday night. They were all sat at the southern end of the ground, and if people were expecting threadbare levels of support, well, it didn't happen.

I was more surprised by how many of our own supporters showed up. I was worried there'd be something of a boycott, but it didn't really happen. That's good, because as the Giants improve, our derbies are going to become hotly contested, and we're going to need all the support we can get.

Would love to see an independent survey to gauge the following:

a) How many people who attended were new to the game.
    b) Of the people who attended the game, how many where ex Victorians or non sydney people.
    c) The amount of people who had previously followed the swans for the sake of following a football team but have converted over to GWS. Steve Waugh is a perfect example.
    d) How many non true AFL fans are coming back to watch GWS next game.

What were the ratings like? I read somewhere 150K it peaked.

Regular in the Side
    TV ratings from Media Week - Seven + 7mate 689k FoxFooty 196k ... Total 885k

Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    TV ratings from Media Week - Seven + 7mate 689k FoxFooty 196k ... Total 885k
    Are they Sydney or melbourne?

Would love to see an independent survey to gauge the following:

a) How many people who attended were new to the game.
    b) Of the people who attended the game, how many where ex Victorians or non sydney people.
    c) The amount of people who had previously followed the swans for the sake of following a football team but have converted over to GWS. Steve Waugh is a perfect example.
    d) How many non true AFL fans are coming back to watch GWS next game.
    You're not the only one who wants to know the answers the those questions!

I'm sure both clubs would just love to know that sort of information - especially question 3. Maybe you should start a market research company?

Looking at the draw, the next test for GWS in Sydney will be in April when they play the Eagles at Blacktown, but as there's virtually no seating out there, and it's too far away, I certainly won't be going.

Then they play Essendon sometime in May at the newly renovated Sydney Showground. The crowd will probably be inflated due to the novelty/curiousity factor.

It's Round 14 at ANZ that interests me, because this time it's our home game, and the Giants will probably have more than 10,000 members by then. That's when we'll get a good idea of how many people are going to stick with them.

Regular in the Side
    Are they Sydney or melbourne?
    I assume both? That's the only reference to ratings I have seen so far but will keep my eyes out!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post

Looking at the draw, the next test for GWS in Sydney will be in April when they play the Eagles at Blacktown, but as there's virtually no seating out there, and it's too far away, I certainly won't be going.
    10,000 capacity , with 1,500 seated ! Maybe it's a nod to the West's Rugby League traditionalists who get nostalgic for "quaint" suburban stadia ?

Skoda would be better (not sure if the redevelopment is completed yet) , but to host WCE at Blacktown is an insult.
    It's more Trabant than Skoda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast