Thread: AFL season launch

Veteran Site Admin

AFL season launch

Fox Footy televised this tonight. For those who didn't catch it but have FF, I have no doubt it will be replayed several times over the weekend given the lack of footy they have to cover.

It was held at Sydney Town Hall, and understandably, a large part was given over to welcoming the Giants to the compettiton. But along the way, the evening celebrated AFL in Sydney and NSW on a much broader level, including much tribute to the Sydney era of the Swans and an acknowledgement of what the Swans have contributed. Indeed, there was probably more talked about the Swans than the Giants. For those (like myself) who have occasionally got frustrated by talk of the Giants being trail blazers and opening new frontiers for the AFL, it was great to hear the Giants' chairman and Andy D speaking extensively about how the Swans had made it possible, and noting the difficulties the Swans have gone through. It also served as a reminder to me of why I am so proud to be part of the Swans "family".

Would definitely recommend it to those who have access.

You will also get to see AFL life memberships awarded to Goodsey, Jude and Bazza, amongst others. And to hear a short (and humorous) speech from Magic Mick about his impressions of Sydney when he first arrived. Speeches from an Auskick volunteer and a young Muslim lady who plays footy for a western Sydney club were also noteworthy in terms of providing a sketch of the footy landscape in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Fox Footy televised this tonight. For those who didn't catch it but have FF, I have no doubt it will be replayed several times over the weekend given the lack of footy they have to cover.

It was held at Sydney Town Hall, and understandably, a large part was given over to welcoming the Giants to the compettiton. But along the way, the evening celebrated AFL in Sydney and NSW on a much broader level, including much tribute to the Sydney era of the Swans and an acknowledgement of what the Swans have contributed. Indeed, there was probably more talked about the Swans than the Giants. For those (like myself) who have occasionally got frustrated by talk of the Giants being trail blazers and opening new frontiers for the AFL, it was great to hear the Giants' chairman and Andy D speaking extensively about how the Swans had made it possible, and noting the difficulties the Swans have gone through. It also served as a reminder to me of why I am so proud to be part of the Swans "family".

Would definitely recommend it to those who have access.

You will also get to see AFL life memberships awarded to Goodsey, Jude and Bazza, amongst others. And to hear a short (and humorous) speech from Magic Mick about his impressions of Sydney when he first arrived. Speeches from an Auskick volunteer and a young Muslim lady who plays footy for a western Sydney club were also noteworthy in terms of providing a sketch of the footy landscape in Sydney.
    Now live in Melbourne but born and bred in Sydney. Have flown in tonight for the game on Saturday with the family. As one of Australia's best ever writers would say (Fitzy - Do yourself a favour and read "Batavia" or "Tobruk" or any other in his catalogue of great non-fiction efforts), "Gotta love this city".

I thought it was very well done.

Andrew Demetriou spoke very well. He did a lot of quoting without refering to notes. Must be why he is paid the big $.

Nice tribute to Jim Stynes. The Captains on the stage Harbour Bridge looked good as well.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Happy and I know it
    The season launch was so important that The Age Real Footy page doesn't even mention it.