Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Waterhouse joins the Sydney Swans

I just don't understand the fuss. Betting is barely blip in the radar in my life. I've had a small bet maybe once or twice, but nothing significant. That's not to say I don't understand that gambling is a social issue in the community and that addiction is debilitating in numerous ways.

Nevertheless, the relationship between sport and gambling is not one that will disappear anytime soon. It's a stretch to call the association between the Swans and Tom Waterhouse an ethical problem. Frankly it's about unethical as alcohol and sport and its not like people make a big deal about beer being sold at the game.

The club hasn't done a thing wrong in my eyes. Just my 2 cents.

Warming the Bench
    Clever post Bs.

But for what its worth, I had my first positive thoughts about North Melbourne for 16 years when they announced their intent not to pursue gambling dollars a few weeks back.

I kinda wish the club I support was prepared to take a similar stance.

To be honest, I don't even really know what they are trying to say in the story on the Swans site with this paragraph:

"Like all of the club?s partners, the Swans were extremely impressed with TomWaterhouse.com?s brand values, which strongly align with those of the club."

After the signing of Waterhouse I found this picture of Andej Everitt.

http://sportsbetblog.com.au/wp-conte...9/05/lance.jpg
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

below was my email to the club

[email protected]

Dear Sir/Madam,

.........I am a long time supporter of the Swans

I have sent through this email, because I would like some clarity, around one of the partner announcements, on the Swans website during the week.

I couldnt help but wonder why the Swans have decided that promoting an alliance/relationship with a gambling Company (such as Waterhouse) is a good image for the Swans Members Senior or Junior ?

It just seems to be an alliance, that is totally the opposite to what the Swans stand for, in character and leadership in the community.

Looking forward to your feedback.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    I just don't understand the fuss. Betting is barely blip in the radar in my life.
    I tend to agree with you to a point DLBIA14. I guess it is not so much the betting but rather "The Waterhouse" brand which to me conjures negative thoughts.

For example, it's a bit like making Kyle Sandilands our #1 ticket holder. I'd have nothing against 2Day-FM, it is more about the individual of choice.

I tried to send my comments to the Club through the 'feedback form' which is on the 'contact us' part of their website. It goes nowhere; no form appears.

What email should one use?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Not happy Richard, and John, and anyone else who made this (in my view) altogether unsuitable choice.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Nevertheless, the relationship between sport and gambling is not one that will disappear anytime soon. It's a stretch to call the association between the Swans and Tom Waterhouse an ethical problem. Frankly it's about unethical as alcohol and sport and its not like people make a big deal about beer being sold at the game.

The club hasn't done a thing wrong in my eyes. Just my 2 cents.
    I understand what you are saying. I think in this case it has something to do with the sponsorship source.

Even Russell Crowe banned pokies at Souths.

Vonsteinman, that last line is certainly a I hadn't seen the site and that story. Where's Pauline H?
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I understand what you are saying. I think in this case it has something to do with the sponsorship source.

Even Russell Crowe banned pokies at Souths.

Vonsteinman, that last line is certainly a I hadn't seen the site and that story. Where's Pauline H?
    Yes, that was the line that got me too.!!??!

Pushing for Selection
    I penned a very sharp email but decided against sending it from work - so it will be going over the weekend from my gmail account. I feel really strongly about this - one of the plusses about being away from the mainstream AFL community is the chance to be different. We seem to have gone the other way and have folded in with the pack. It is bad enough odds being shoved down my throat while watching the game on TV.

Very, very unhappy... Not quite send my membership back unhappy (15th year) but close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    To be honest, I don't even really know what they are trying to say in the story on the Swans site with this paragraph:

"Like all of the club?s partners, the Swans were extremely impressed with TomWaterhouse.com?s brand values, which strongly align with those of the club."
    WTF?

What on earth does Tom Waterhouse and gambling have to do with the values of our club? I thought we were a clean cut "family" brand. At least, I always thought we were.

I think the association will damage our brand, to be honest.

Who came up with this idea?

My company also sponsors the Swans, albeit on a very minor level, and I found out about the TW sponsorship several weeks ago at the sponsors cocktail party. It even got a mention in the speeches.

Whilst I dislike Tom himself and his love of the social pages, I don't see much wrong with the sponsorship and feel it certainly won't tarnish the Swans brand.

Coke is a company lacking ethics which produces unhealthy products, hopefully the same people emailing the club complain about them too.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast