Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Waterhouse joins the Sydney Swans

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    I just don't understand the fuss. Betting is barely blip in the radar in my life. I've had a small bet maybe once or twice, but nothing significant. That's not to say I don't understand that gambling is a social issue in the community and that addiction is debilitating in numerous ways.
    The fuss is about two things, I think:
    1) Those of us who struggle with gambling, who work hard to avoid it, getting a here's $50 to gamble email under the banner of their treasured club.
    2) "The Waterhouse name is synonymous with Australian horse racing, with four generations of Waterhouses? involved in the industry for over a century."
    For many of us its synonymous with Fine Cotton, one of Australia's most infamous sporting fixes.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

In life you either take a stand or you take an order !!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

This is the smug looking guy with his 'Gambling IQ' adverts? Do. Not. Want.

Poor showing by the club.

Gambling is for suckers and some of those poor suckers can't help themselves, with disastrous effects.
    -

Is it gambling itself? Or this particular company?

While I understand some people's concern due to the devastating effects that gambling can have on individuals and families, as well as the corruption concerns... How is this different from the one or two alcohol companies we have sponsoring us? Alcohol is another product that is technically legal, yet with serious repercussions if abused.

If I don't like a sponsor, I will simply ignore them - as I would in this case. Perhaps I don't feel strongly enough about this issue to complain.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Blog Entries
    Obesity epidemic - sugar we throw at kids nowadays ... sponsoring of AFL by McDonalds / Hungry Jacks / Coke ...

And you are really worried about gambling? Wow. Next we'll have cigarette companies sponsoring sport .... sheeshhh

It's like this ...

Without sponsorship there'd be no team, there'd be no game, without other teams (GWS included), there'd be no competition - with so many teams and the rules around tobacco, alcohol and competitor sponsorship, where do you think they should go next ... How about your company throw a few dollars their way? Maybe there is a brothel somewhere that can give some dollars, special rates on a win, but I suppose that will upset people also ... How about no sponsorship? How long would we last? A season? Two?

How about those of you that are so vehemently against Waterhouse sponsorship actually pledge to pay the club the same money so they don't need him?

Didn't think so.

So how much is the sponsorship you are talking about?

No one knows but I notice that none of the other sponsors that you have mentioned are handing out a free $50 for a bet.

Yes there are lots of double standards but this one comes with a hook.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Not the part of sport I am interested in and agree 100% Swans don't need betting or gambling!

Pleased that we have like minded people that say so!

Rod_

Warming the Bench
    I don't like the sponsorship.

Gambling causes serious problems and shouldn't be promoted by a family club just as other adult things are not such as cigarettes. He should also not be clogging up swans tv with his segment which i pray is not on the website every week.

There is plenty of other sponsors and they dont have market updates on the swans website, it would be the same as citibank having a segment talking about their home loan rates, or QBE talking about packaging options for insurance.

Totally agree with Cpt. Kirk. Nor should Waterhouse be clogging up my personal email box with an unsolicited, personally addressed email inviting me to lay bets with him. I object to the Swans Communications team using my email address for this purpose and will be telling them so.

Goes up to 11
    I'm totally against gambling and I'll bet anyone 50 bucks that we'll be able to get the Swans to discontinue this sponsorship once their first contract runs out

This is interesting. Three pages of mostly No Do Not Want posts in under a period of six hours.

How many times in the past have we said NO to a sponsorship? Never. I hope the club listens to us.

Also for those who are having difficulty, I just sent a "reply" email over the waterhouse one, it goes to a Swans email address. You may like to do that. Its a start.

I have also asked Jenny to perhaps run off this series of posts (all of them) and hand them over to Richard Colless....or someone. They may listen to us.
    Last edited by Primmy; 24th March 2012 at 07:52 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

The way people are reacting you would think Waterhouse ran a brothel and sold cigarettes to 10 year olds.

Where do we draw the line. Obesity is a bigger problem than gambling so where's the outrage over fast food sponsorship. Cars accidents kill many people every year so we should say no to car sponsorship. Insurance Companies and Banks in the pursuit of profits adversely effect lives as well so we shouldn't associate ourselves with these industries.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast