Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Waterhouse joins the Sydney Swans

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    The way people are reacting you would think Waterhouse ran a brothel and sold cigarettes to 10 year olds.

Where do we draw the line. Obesity is a bigger problem than gambling so where's the outrage over fast food sponsorship. Cars accidents kill many people every year so we should say no to car sponsorship. Insurance Companies and Banks in the pursuit of profits adversely effect lives as well so we shouldn't associate ourselves with these industries.
    We draw the line at gambling. It's not a family-friendly activity.

Just wild about Harry
    I am impressed. I didnt know I would be in the majority in here. I think we have sold out by going down this route and aligning with a sponsorship that will legitimise gambling to juniors who follow the Swans. I am disappointed that we have chosen to accept this sponsorship. Believe it or not, there are plenty of sponsorship $ out there (the company I work for threw $5mil at Essendon). Some of you may remember when the government banned tobacco sponsorship and cricket thought the world was going to collapse. Surely, chasing gambling dollars is the wrong way to go.

And for those who believe it is the same as alcohol sponsorship - it is, and that shouldnt be associated as well. However, the AFL has already gone down that route and to a certain extent it is too late. We are only just starting here so now is the time to voice our disapproval.

To adapt one of Diettrich Bonhoffer's quotes, the test of the morality of a football club is what it does for its children.

I am not very happy about it at all either. I love to have a punt, don't doubt that, but I don't want it shoved down my throat by the club, and I certainly don't think our younger supporters should be exposed to it either. We still have far too much advertising of gamblign in this country for my liking. I have nothing against giving the people the opportunity to gamble should they choose to, but I don't think it is an activity a football club should be actively promoting. Most people can control their gambling, but for those people that can't, the negative costs of it can be very large indeed.

from me as well on this towards the club!

The way people are reacting you would think Waterhouse ran a brothel and sold cigarettes to 10 year olds.

Where do we draw the line. Obesity is a bigger problem than gambling so where's the outrage over fast food sponsorship. Cars accidents kill many people every year so we should say no to car sponsorship. Insurance Companies and Banks in the pursuit of profits adversely effect lives as well so we shouldn't associate ourselves with these industries.
    Exactly my point.

I can't say I'm surprised to an extent. Being a bit reflective, it's a microcosmic example of society's fickleness in picking what really matters and doesn't. Injustices are everywhere, travesties happen every day yet we are so selective it really irks me.

I'm sure for those who suffer a gambling problem the TW association may be hard to accept. However if they tell the club they're not interested in their betting advertising they'll remove them from their mailing list where appropriate. Nevertheless it isn't different to an alcohol addict. How hard would it be for them going to a game?

Very personal objections aren't exactly a legitimate reason to starve the club valuable sponsorship dollars. It's not like this club is exactly rolling it in. Over-the-top reaction and I'm a little surprised to be in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I am not very happy about it at all either. I love to have a punt, don't doubt that, but I don't want it shoved down my throat by the club, and I certainly don't think our younger supporters should be exposed to it either. We still have far too much advertising of gamblign in this country for my liking. I have nothing against giving the people the opportunity to gamble should they choose to, but I don't think it is an activity a football club should be actively promoting. Most people can control their gambling, but for those people that can't, the negative costs of it can be very large indeed.

from me as well on this towards the club!
    How is the club shoving it down our throats?? I thought you had to give permission to the club to receive third party offers. Admittedly I haven't seen the Swans email so was there an offer from Waterhouse in that communication??
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

How is the club shoving it down our throats?? I thought you had to give permission to the club to receive third party offers. Admittedly I haven't seen the Swans email so was there an offer from Waterhouse in that communication??
    Big Al, the email came from the same Swans Communications email address that sends members all the team news, updates, etc. yet was worded as a personal email from Waterhouse (complete with his photo and a photo of him with the Swans boys) and it included the offer:

"My website, tomwaterhouse.com, will offer markets on every Swans match, including head-to-head, line and margin betting, and this special offer is exclusive to Swans members and supporters.

SWANS FREE BET OFFER.

Back the Swans prior to Round One to make the top four, and if they don't I will refund your bet, up to $50.
    Click here now to place your bet."

I call that shoving it down our throats. And I assume it means that junior Swans members got the email as well. As others have said, the Swans are giving a message of encouragement to bet on their matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Big Al, the email came from the same Swans Communications email address that sends members all the team news, updates, etc. yet was worded as a personal email from Waterhouse (complete with his photo and a photo of him with the Swans boys) and it included the offer:

"My website, tomwaterhouse.com, will offer markets on every Swans match, including head-to-head, line and margin betting, and this special offer is exclusive to Swans members and supporters.

SWANS FREE BET OFFER.

Back the Swans prior to Round One to make the top four, and if they don't I will refund your bet, up to $50.
    Click here now to place your bet."

I call that shoving it down our throats. And I assume it means that junior Swans members got the email as well. As others have said, the Swans are giving a message of encouragement to bet on their matches.
    Thanks Meg,
    I'm pretty sure I ticked a box where I said I do not want third party offers from anyone. While I still don't have any issues with this particular sponsorship that email sent is unacceptable. Unless you're giving me a free VW I don't want any correspondence from our sponsors.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Companies and Banks in the pursuit of profits adversely effect lives as well so we shouldn't associate ourselves with these industries.
    FYI - Cold War is over! You lost pinko!
    -

Yep that is the email Big Al I didn't like! I don't like advertising of odds at games either (I believe that is going to be reduced this year), but I certainly don't like emails such as that.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The alcohol was, I think, in place before I got here. But (a) I already drank the stuff, and (b) it's red and white, so I could wear that.
    The gambling excursion is a new venture. I wasn't asked (and no, I wouldn't expect to be) and I don't approve.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

So if the swans loose a game that they were expected to win, I wonder how long before we get the "waterhouse tanking" question raised.

Say Teddy was to play forward and kick the first goal... Odds will be high and someone will just imply that is was a "insider trading"

I am sure it will come. We have by association put the Swans in that bucket. Guess we needed this sort of controversial situations..?

And I posted this, just so I was first to imply something before a game was played.

No room for the extent of gambling in Sport, there are to many options and conditions.

Still not a fan of gambling in sport!

Rod_

Totally agree with you Rod. As a sports lover I hate the way gambling is now pervading so many games. Look what has happened in cricket. Every unusual result is now greeted with suspicion. I would hate that to happen with our much loved Swans.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast