Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Waterhouse joins the Sydney Swans

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    I also took a back step when his email hit my inbox - it was the first time I have ever received direct correspondence from a gambling agency, it came from a source (my club) that I would never have expected it to come from and I found it hard to disassociate myself from it because "Tom Waterhouse" is not a brand, he is a dude I see in the social pages or on tele Melbourne Cup day.

It felt icky.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

I was rapt when I heard the MCG had dumped Betfair and now this happens. I have a sportsbet account but don't believe in Betting agencies jamming their product down peoples throats.

It seems the no dick head policy is no longer applicable.
    up the guts

fmd what a bunch of wowsers.

Gambling is legal, but the tone on this thread suggests it shouldn?t be. Responsible adults can spend their money however they like. I choose to spend $10 a game on betting, which adds to my entertainment much like being part of a tipping comp, and its cheaper than going to a movie. It?s not anti-social, it?s not harming others. And rather than whack everyone with a giant stick and make everything illegal how about someone providing psychological help to those with a legitimate addiction.

I will admit, the association with the Waterhouses in particular is the unpalatable part, not necessarily the broader betting issue.

For those worried about spot fixing, you also have to remember that the countries that have problems with spot fixing have a significant underground gambling element. The legality and identification requirements has significantly cleaned up the thoroughbred industry in Europe as one example. Such attempts at spot fixing these days are still only confined to "underground" gambling, and... with significantly more risk.... cash transactions at totalizator betting outlets.
    Last edited by nicko18; 25th March 2012 at 08:52 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet_Observer View Post
    I tend to agree with you to a point DLBIA14. I guess it is not so much the betting but rather "The Waterhouse" brand which to me conjures negative thoughts.

For example, it's a bit like making Kyle Sandilands our #1 ticket holder. I'd have nothing against 2Day-FM, it is more about the individual of choice.
    I too had a problem with the Waterhouse brand until this bloke came on the scene. I follow horse racing and he really knows his oats on the industry. Whenever I have seen him on TV or at racing forums he presents himself as a true professional and is very well respected in the industry. He appears to have shaken off the previous generation's reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I too had a problem with the Waterhouse brand until this bloke came on the scene. I follow horse racing and he really knows his oats on the industry. Whenever I have seen him on TV or at racing forums he presents himself as a true professional and is very well respected in the industry. He appears to have shaken off the previous generation's reputation.
    He's a knob.

This is the first time I remember seeing such backlash re sponsorship..........the Swans have worked so hard for many years to build a brand of character first.........now they have appeared to sell out?

If someone can educate me on how an alliance with waterhouse or any gambling house builds our brand? builds our community message of no short cuts, builds our message of "character first, reputation second"........then I am happy to listen........but I cant think of any good reasons......

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post
    Gambling is legal, but the tone on this thread suggests it shouldn?t be.
    Nicko, this is misrepresentation. I for one do not think gambling should be made illegal. I have no problem with a bet for fun and have one myself on occasion (e.g. Melbourne Cup). But I do have a large problem with the Swans taking money in sponsorship which then obliges them to actively promote betting on Swans matches as a normal part of the Swans culture. They have already done this in two videos on the website and by providing members email addresses for use for Waterhouse's betting spam mail. People who want to bet can find their way to the Tab or betting websites without the Swans assistance.

I agree Meg that the club should not be actively promoting any of their sponsors products without permission. However some in the thread do not want the sponsorship at all and that's where I agree with sentiments of Nicko.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by J_Moore View Post
    He's a knob.
    What has he done to earn that title?? I don't know the bloke so I'm just interested.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by nicko18 View Post
    fmd what a bunch of wowsers.

Gambling is legal, but the tone on this thread suggests it shouldn?t be. Responsible adults can spend their money however they like. I choose to spend $10 a game on betting, which adds to my entertainment much like being part of a tipping comp, and its cheaper than going to a movie. It?s not anti-social, it?s not harming others. And rather than whack everyone with a giant stick and make everything illegal how about someone providing psychological help to those with a legitimate addiction.
    I agree, I like to spend my $ on hookers and that's legal so the sooner the Swans get a brothel sponsor with member special offers (eg buy one get one free?) then so much the better.
    -

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast