Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Another thread about the Melbourne media having NFI about Sydney Footy...

I really dont believe that GWS are putting up an us v them type mentality any more than carlton do against collingwood or fremantle do against west coast. I bet not all of the players from those teams are forced to live and breathe the ethos of those suburbs/areas just to play for them ( unless the ethos in fremantle generally is that we never know how to win a premiwership , we cant write songs and we love purple as a fashion statement).

As for repreresenting the region - what part of the names , Essendon, Carlton, Richmond , Collingwood suggest they are not representing that region / suburb. I accept that many people from outside that suburb may support that team but if they didnt want to associate with the area , they would just become the Magpies, the Blues, the Tigers and the Bombers.

Lets face it the only reason Geelong players live in Geelong is probably because its too far to drive from Melbourne every day and as for Gold Coast - whats the alternative - Brisbane? I know if someone said to me , Ill pay you a million bucks to come and play footy for me and we would prefer you live in the area which is a popular beach holiday destination , I would hardly think you would need to really convince me.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I really dont believe that GWS are putting up an us v them type mentality any more than carlton do against collingwood or fremantle do against west coast. I bet not all of the players from those teams are forced to live and breathe the ethos of those suburbs/areas just to play for them ( unless the ethos in fremantle generally is that we never know how to win a premiwership , we cant write songs and we love purple as a fashion statement).

As for repreresenting the region - what part of the names , Essendon, Carlton, Richmond , Collingwood suggest they are not representing that region / suburb. I accept that many people from outside that suburb may support that team but if they didnt want to associate with the area , they would just become the Magpies, the Blues, the Tigers and the Bombers.

Lets face it the only reason Geelong players live in Geelong is probably because its too far to drive from Melbourne every day and as for Gold Coast - whats the alternative - Brisbane? I know if someone said to me , Ill pay you a million bucks to come and play footy for me and we would prefer you live in the area which is a popular beach holiday destination , I would hardly think you would need to really convince me.
    I think we agree with each other on most things here, except I think the suburban tribalism had pretty much disappeared from the Melbourne footy landscape about 30 years ago. These days you would find the same proportion of Essendon supporters living in Richmond as you would Richmond supporters, etc. To live in a certain suburb doesnt necessarily mean you follow that team any more.

Pickering on League teams said the real stuff starts tonight. Goes to show you don't need a long neck to be a goose.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Name a collingwood player who lives there? Actually its very hipster and very fashionable so i would say a few might live there. Harry O hangs out on Smith St.

I guess essendon is a more realistic example.

Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post
    Well before 1980 - didnt NSW always select Qld born players who were then playing the NSWRL comp? Isn't that the main reason state of origin was born? Arthur Beetson played for NSW up until 1980..didnt he?
    SOO was born because WA and SA got sick of being trounced by the Vics in the interstate clashes. The NSWRFL liked the idea and adopted it, however, in Aussie Rules club football has always been more important than interstate football, so it is only played occasionally now.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    SOO was born because WA and SA got sick of being trounced by the Vics in the interstate clashes. The NSWRFL liked the idea and adopted it, however, in Aussie Rules club football has always been more important than interstate football, so it is only played occasionally now.
    State of Origin footy stopped because the Vics wouldn't support it. The reason they wouldn't support it, because they were starting to get beaten regularly. This hadn't happened before because they had the best from the other states playing for them, bunch of cheats if you ask me just like NSW in the RL.

Looks like we've had a massive change in our player list.

Sydney Swans | Herald Sun

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    State of Origin footy stopped because the Vics wouldn't support it. The reason they wouldn't support it, because they were starting to get beaten regularly. This hadn't happened before because they had the best from the other states playing for them, bunch of cheats if you ask me just like NSW in the RL.
    You seem to have missed the point of the post. It was the VFL/WAFL/SANFL that came up with the concept, not the NSWRFL.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt View Post

It's probably the red in the guernseys that got them distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by wyatt View Post

Ha ha love it! I wouldn't mind G Ablett though.

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    It's probably the red in the guernseys that got them distracted.
    This is something I am really annoyed about. Why were the Suns allowed to choose footy outfits so similar to the Swans?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    This is something I am really annoyed about. Why were the Suns allowed to choose footy outfits so similar to the Swans?
    I wonder if Geelong, Norf and Carlton fans ask the same question regularly.

Not a biggie to me, the red and yellow of the lifesaver looks a pretty natural fit for the Gold Coast as far as I'm concerned.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast