Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Another thread about the Melbourne media having NFI about Sydney Footy...

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Because being a passionate swans supporter in Melbourne, where you're saturated with everything AFL 24/7, you look forward to these guys/shows talking about and analysing your team in the same manner they would a Collingwood or Carlton, but they dont, in fact most of them clearly know nothing about the Swans, or choose not to.

Now I know the more mainstream media people are ex players and have there own favourite team(most likely the one they played for), but the way these guys sometimes talk about us, I'm convinced they are annoyed with the success we have had(win/loss ratio, never having to bottom out, 2005 premiership, consistently making finals) and at the same time watching their sides linger down the bottom of the table, or not playing much finals. But it still @@@@s me to no end that they constantly underate us or are very dissmissive of us winning certain games.

Theres nothing I look forward to more than when we have a good win on Sat afternoon or Saturday night and than tuning into the 2 Sunday morning footy shows on Ch 7 and Ch 9, only to have them analyse a Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon/hawthorn/Geelong game with the finest of tooth combs, for 10 minutes or until there is nothing more to say and then come to the Swans game and cover it for 30 seconds, trott out the same crap about us playing "that lockdown style of football that the Swans are known for..." and then the host of the show comes back on says we have to go to commercial and I just sit there with a 'What the hell is going on here!!!!' look on my Chevy Chase.

And if thats not bad enough, the Thursday night Footy show has for years, and I am convinced deliberately, previewed our game last out of all the others, even if we are playing on Sat Afternoon, and then go over it for, at best, 5 seconds before rolling the final credits because they've run out of time.

As I said, I'm convinced that its done deliberately as Sydney viewers get the AFL footy show on late after the NRL footy show(the reverse for us here in Melbourne), and when they preview the Swans last on Sydney TV, its going to come on at around 1:00am Sydney time!!!

God, some of these twits had us missing the 8 after our premieship in 05, and some of these twits also had us missing the 8 after we backed up in 06 and lost by a point to West Coast!!!!!

Rant over.

Johnno - that is EXACTLY why I dont watch any of the footy shows on FTA any more. I dont have Foxtel either, so I have to rely on RWO for a completely unbiased view...

I don't watch any of the footy shows nor do i read the afl print media.

The AFL is a big business these days and we all know that newspapers exist to sell papers and make a tidy profit. The AFL has created it's own media and it;s main objection is to make as much money as it can. The biggest clubs are all melbourne based, well thats what the AFL thinks anyway, so it makes perfect business sense to just talk about these victorian clubs in melbourne while glossing over the lesser teams with a less supporter base who will bring in less revenue.

Another massive issue for non victorians who realy on the AFL media is it too centralised in melbourne. The day the AFL decentralise itself and move to a neutral location then we will see less about vic clubs and more about the whole comp. This won't happen though because us victorians are just so invoved in aussie rules that doing so might be to the detriment to the whole league.

It's funny, us Victorians want the game to grow, we want the code to be global, we want it to be the premier sport in Australia BUT at the same time we want it to be a victorian game. The attitude seems to be "Sure you can play in OUR league but remember interstates this is OUR game and should be treated as such"

Also the AFL can start sending a directive to the victorian media to drop the word interstaters. That in itself shows that the AFL is still the VFL in many aspects.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post

The AFL is a big business these days and we all know that newspapers exist to sell papers and make a tidy profit. The AFL has created it's own media and it;s main objection is to make as much money as it can. The biggest clubs are all melbourne based, well thats what the AFL thinks anyway, so it makes perfect business sense to just talk about these victorian clubs in melbourne while glossing over the lesser teams with a less supporter base who will bring in less revenue.

Another massive issue for non victorians who realy on the AFL media is it too centralised in melbourne. The day the AFL decentralise itself and move to a neutral location then we will see less about vic clubs and more about the whole comp. This won't happen though because us victorians are just so invoved in aussie rules that doing so might be to the detriment to the whole league.

It's funny, us Victorians want the game to grow, we want the code to be global, we want it to be the premier sport in Australia BUT at the same time we want it to be a victorian game. The attitude seems to be "Sure you can play in OUR league but remember interstates this is OUR game and should be treated as such"

Also the AFL can start sending a directive to the victorian media to drop the word interstaters. That in itself shows that the AFL is still the VFL in many aspects.
    Dammit WHTG! I hate it when you make sense!

Thanks for that, I sort of knew that already but it still bugs me. I mean these guys are paid lots of money for what I believe to be one of the more simplest jobs in the world, they have to watch games of football!!!!

How hard is it to work out who the good teams are, who's in form, how teams are playing, and most importantly in the swans case, who's game style has changed dramatically since 2005!!!!

Yeah but it's not going to change, the AFL made sure after the last time no vic team made the finals. You ignore collingwood, carlton, essendon, hawthorn, geelong and you have already eliminated a large amount of revenue right there.

There is no way known to man that the AFL will revert back and allow an even spread of coverage after what victorians consider "the debacle of the first half of last decade" when most of the non vic sides dominated year in year out.

it's why i believe we will never see an interstate side go back to back to back like brisbane did. It's just not in the best interest of the AFL or for footy in victoria. Look at the winners and who has played in GF since 2006..see the pattern?

Everything at present is catered and engineered so that vic clubs have priority exposure in the media and through advertising. Thats why we have a FIXture and not a draw.

Veterans List
    Mark Robinson on SEN a few minutes ago:

Daniel Harford: The Swans are sitting pretty at 3rd at the moment.

Robinson: I wouldn't say that, I thought Port was pretty good.

Next throw away line was something like: I suppose it was an away game so you have to give them some credit.

When Robinson is on there is hardly a mention of interstate sides. He just bangs on about Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond (?) Hawthorn and to a lesser extent Essendon. For the record he gave North a rap today. For North even to get a mention is monumental. Problem is they seem to be playing down the win and more Geelong's hard game the week before as the reason for the result.

Unfortunately for a radio station that in its infancy said they didn't care about ratings, they seem to have gone away from their initial mantra of giving a comprehensive coverage of AFL.

They are now similar to the TV shows in that every presenter seems to bang on about the same few topics every week, so you are listening and watching the same crap every day until the next round.

It's like they can't wait for us to really fail miserably, so they can sap finally come out and say...."see, told ya swans aren't that good!!!".

SEN is a disgrace of a radio station. SEN should just be allowed to broadcast in the melbourne metro area and not advertise itself as the home of football..when clearly its not.

Whats the bet tonight on Footy Classifieds they will dedicate the opening 20 mins to carlton which will then lead to collingwoods woes which will then lead to geelong losing a bit of their aura and then we will have 10 mins about the demons..because Garry is there. I mean who cares about the demons? They have been a rabble since norm smith was coach yet because there are a few ex demon legends in the melbourne media then we have to hear about them every week.

Then they will bang on about how GCS and GWS.

With 2 mins to go they might mention the swans or west coast..maybe.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Mark Robinson on SEN a few minutes ago:

Daniel Harford: The Swans are sitting pretty at 3rd at the moment.

Robinson: I wouldn't say that, I thought Port was pretty good.

Next throw away line was something like: I suppose it was an away game so you have to give them some credit.

When Robinson is on there is hardly a mention of interstate sides. He just bangs on about Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond (?) Hawthorn and to a lesser extent Essendon. For the record he gave North a rap today. For North even to get a mention is monumental. Problem is they seem to be playing down the win and more Geelong's hard game the week before as the reason for the result.

Unfortunately for a radio station that in its infancy said they didn't care about ratings, they seem to have gone away from their initial mantra of giving a comprehensive coverage of AFL.

They are now similar to the TV shows in that every presenter seems to bang on about the same few topics every week, so you are listening and watching the same crap every day until the next round.

In the beginning they may not have cared about ratings, but I think they had a rethink when the station nearly went under a few years ago. Their sister station MTR just hit the wall, so they are pandering to a metro audience here to get their advertising $.

By the way, I imagine that Lions supporters down here have the same issues as we do, but there arent as many as them, so the media would simply say 'who cares'?

Who brings in the big revenue? Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton (when on top), Essendon (when on top) are all big money spinners. But alternatively, Eagles, Crows, Lions (when on top), Swans (when competitive) bring in the next best results. North, Bullies, Saints and Melbourne hardly draw and Richmond haven't got back to their full potential crowds for years, even when in the eight. Froe are starting to draw but Port are a problem and GWS, GCS are just starting.

I would think you are looking at certain games as to the crowd pulling ability of sides. Hawks v Cats always draws so does Collingwood v Essendon. Swans and Eagles draw here and in Perth. The Western Derby draws so does Showdown even if Port hasn't won a game.

It is games that draw these days more than teams on their own except teams with a high Membership list. Even then the seats might not be used as many supporters don't go to the pushover games. So the AFL I would think should be looking more at the Matches that draw than particular sides, except possibly Collingwood.

I'm not talking about crowds. I am talking about the amount of money the supporters of the top 4 vic sides bring in through media exposure of these clubs. Big drawing interstate sides hardly put a dent in victoria and to the AFL thats where the money is.

Sure they bring in revenue to their respective states or clubs..but in Melbourne these clubs hardly draw an audience which therefore can bring in the $ to the AFL. Melbourne is the HQ and thats where the money is atm.

The herald sun/age would sell less papers if they featured more crows, port, lions, weagles, freo or Sydney every single day. Collingwood fans don't buy the paper if there is a tiny paragraph about their pies. Same with the other top 4. Heck its known that the herald dumb puts a photo of a collingwood player on page 3 and sales go up 30k! Was mentioned in court a few years ago.

The same goes for tv. Ch 7 can't sell premium ad slots if only a qrt of people are watching Port play Brisbane as opposed to collingwood vs carlton on a friday night.

As i said the problem is that the AFL is based in Melbourne. In order for the game to be a true national comp they need to be based in somewhere like say Canberra.

they need to be based in somewhere like say Canberra.
    We tried that with Parliament and look what happened..........

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast