Thread: Go the Academy Kids!

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Go the Academy Kids!

In their desperate draw with GWS Academy they kicked 12.1!
    Amazing stuff - what do they have that the firsts don't?
    http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/n...3/default.aspx
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    In their desperate draw with GWS Academy they kicked 12.1!
    Amazing stuff - what do they have that the firsts don't?
    http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/n...3/default.aspx
    Coached by former Swan Nick Davis....

There may be a coaching requirement at senior level for a certain Nick Davis - "Come and Save us"again

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Coached by former Swan Nick Davis and assistant coaches Paul Roos and Jarrad Sundqvist
    Can you imagine that at half time?
    Roosy: "Nick, Nick"
    Davo: "Not now."
    Davo: "Not now, Roosy!"
    Davo: "I'm busy!"
    Davo: "FINE, WHAT IS IT?"
    Roosy: "I've got an idea for the forwards!"
    Davo: "Yes?"
    Roosy: "Let's make them all midfielders, too!"
    Davo: "Ummm..."
    Roosy: "Whaddya think?"
    Roosy: "Nick? Nick?"
    Davo: "Can you grab me a coffee?"
    Roosy: "Sure thing, boss!"
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Can you imagine that at half time?
    Davo: "Not now."
    Davo: "Not now, Roosy!"
    Davo: "I'm busy!"
    Davo: "FINE, WHAT IS IT?"
    Roosy: "I've got an idea for the forwards!"
    Davo: "Yes?"
    Roosy: "Let's make them all midfielders, too!"
    Roosy: "Whaddya think?"
    Roosy: "Nick? Nick?"
    Davo: "Can you grab me a coffee?"
    Roosy: "Sure thing, boss!"
    funny.

Veterans List
    Notable names in the best players :-)

Is Dylan the oldest of the two Roos boys?

If Dylan Roos made it to a National draft, would he be a Brisbane father/son option?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    If Dylan Roos made it to a National draft, would he be a Brisbane father/son option?
    Yes, he can be offered a F/S by Brisbane or a placement via his Academy status with the Swans.

It is up to the player to agree to a F/S or Academy placement and I'd reckon Dylan would take the Swans offer if it was made :-)

The process for the Swans drafting Dylan or any other Academy players is the same as F/S. There's a pre Trade Week process of allowing other clubs to bid for the player using one of their picks. The Swans, if they want the player must use their next ND pick to draft him. If they aren't prepared to use that pick then he goes to the other bidder.

I've never known a club not to use the requested pick so I assume it's all worked out amicably behind the scenes beforehand by the clubs.

This happened last year when Freo bid their ND Pick 16 for Tom Mitchell so we had to use our next pick after that which was ND Pick 21.

The biggest value with F/S or Academy players is if you can get two in the one year like the Bulldogs did with Wallis and Liberatore in 2010. You then may get a highly rated player by only having to use a much later pick.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Yes, he can be offered a F/S by Brisbane or a placement via his Academy status with the Swans.

It is up to the player to agree to a F/S or Academy placement and I'd reckon Dylan would take the Swans offer if it was made :-)

The process for the Swans drafting Dylan or any other Academy players is the same as F/S. There's a pre Trade Week process of allowing other clubs to bid for the player using one of their picks. The Swans, if they want the player must use their next ND pick to draft him. If they aren't prepared to use that pick then he goes to the other bidder.

I've never known a club not to use the requested pick so I assume it's all worked out amicably behind the scenes beforehand by the clubs.

This happened last year when Freo bid their ND Pick 16 for Tom Mitchell so we had to use our next pick after that which was ND Pick 21.

The biggest value with F/S or Academy players is if you can get two in the one year like the Bulldogs did with Wallis and Liberatore in 2010. You then may get a highly rated player by only having to use a much later pick.
    The added twist with the Academy selection process is that the club has to nominate "possibles" sometime in May. Presumably this is to narrow down the numbers so that opposition clubs can focus on those who the selecting club has their eye on. Not sure if there is a limit on how many can be nominated. I think the Swans nominated half a dozen or so last year (none of whom was subsequently selected).

The bidding process for FS and Academy players is interesting in that players who are clearly round 1 calibre picks will be bid for, to keep the recruiting club "honest". In almost all instances other clubs will know that the nominating club will match the pick. But for those who are clearly of draft calibre but not first rounders, I suspect most will slip through and be available to the recruiting club with their final pick. Clubs won't want to risk committing a mid-draft pick on a particular player several weeks out from the draft. Not only does it reduce flexibility in the draft itself, it also means the nominated pick isn't available to be traded. Even if a club expects to land up with, say, a second or third round pick, they might trade out their original pick in that round and later trade in a very similar one. One a pick is earmarked for a specific player, they can't do this. We probably saw this wih Curran and the Hawks last year. Even if they were quite interested in him, they didn't want to have to tie up a 2nd or 3rd round pick that early. I think this means that there are bargains to be had with mid-draft range players. FS picks are relatively rare so clubs probably aren't that fussed with other clubs getting relative bargains. But if the four clubs with acadamies start producing a number of players who fit into the 2nd or 3rd round range, it will be interesting to see how other clubs respond, particularly knowing that the academy club will know far more about the capabilities of those players than other clubs can possibly know. It is unlikely to be a factor for a few years yet, though - it will take time for the development benefits of the academies to manifest.

Veterans List
    Nice thoughts there Liz, it hadn't occured to me that was why mid draft players didn't get a bid and were allowed to slip through into bargain territory like Buckley at 62 and Bews at 86 when both were probably better than that.

I think the Academy will be a good source of players for us in an ever tightening draft situation, that's why we should all support it financially as we are able.

Hopefully our Academy will manifest itself as early as this year, hopefully.