Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can our BACK LINE win us a GF ?

Gee i think we need more than a good back 6 to win the flag. How about we start with a midfield that can actually hit targets?

I think 6th-8th is our position with the current line up. It's good that you sydney fans are now able to watch footy live..then you will see how far behind we are from the top 4 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post
    I think 6th-8th is our position with the current line up. It's good that you sydney fans are now able to watch footy live..then you will see how far behind we are from the top 4 teams.
    Cruel......but true.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    main reason for the thread is that I think that the Cats and Pies forward line has looked better because of their backs being so dominant
    ...the counter attack and the man on man strength of the Cats and the Pies has allowed their forwards the time and space to look better and perform better....
    This is probably down to their better kicking, more than being just good stoppers. Hitting consecutive targets on the way out of defence can make rebounding a LOT easier and a forward line more functional. This a team problem, not just a back six problem.
    Then again we are sitting on top of the ladder so we can't be doing too much wrong.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

our backline ( like most of our team) lacks a bit of class. We have no Yarran, Deledio type that can run out with some toe and distribute the ball cleanly and creatively. Not saying he is in the same calss as these guys, but Armstrong could improve us in that area.

It's good that you sydney fans are now able to watch footy live..then you will see how far behind we are from the top 4 teams.
    Which top 4 sides should we concentrate on watching, the two that beat us last year or the two that we beat at their home 'fortress' ???
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Its all well and good winning a once in a blue moon game against a cat side with nothing to play for ( i dont want to belittle that win, it was great sticking it to cats supporters ), its another thing losing to bottom 8 sides in crucial games that determine our place in the 8.

Goes up to 11
    Gee i think we need more than a good back 6 to win the flag. How about we start with a midfield that can actually hit targets?

That sounded really patronising - I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it or anything, but plenty of us Sydney people watch plenty of games not involving the Swans and have a very good idea of other teams' styles, strengths and weaknesses etc. The free to air channels up here have always played a couple of games over weekends, and a number of us also have Foxtel. I think you'll find most of us here have just as much knowledge of the other teams in the AFL as anyone else....

My 10 cents worth is that I think our backline stacks up pretty well against the other teams in the league, and Armstrong was definitely recruited to provide a bit of class so hopefully he can develop into a role similar to that of Malceski. We could always do with a bit more pace and skill in our midfield group, we have some nice x-factors in Rohan and Jetta, and we are struggling up forward in getting decent support and structure around Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Its all well and good winning a once in a blue moon game against a cat side with nothing to play for ( i dont want to belittle that win, it was great sticking it to cats supporters ), its another thing losing to bottom 8 sides in crucial games that determine our place in the 8.
    That's a problem with our consistency not capability. Top teams have uncharacteristic losses too. I don't care about losses we know we could have won, I'm more concerned about the games we were never in with a chance of winning in the first place. Carlton/Hawthorn especially.

On another point I have no idea why Grundy cops a lot of @@@@ for his disposal when half out team is of the same ilk. He offers a bit of run an counter attack too which is unusual for a key defender. He's not worse that LRT in my mind. Both are good defenders, but both have some degree of limitation with their disposal.

Our midfield and forward line let us down more times that our backs did last year. In fact, I'm certain that we won games on the back of their significant contribution. At least the forward line has an excuse - their not really quality so you can't expect much. The midfield on the other hand looks very classy on paper, but I felt like we lost the clearance count and contested ball numbers against teams who have a less rated collection of players.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    That's a problem with our consistency not capability. Top teams have uncharacteristic losses too. I don't care about losses we know we could have won, I'm more concerned about the games we were never in with a chance of winning in the first place. Carlton/Hawthorn especially.

On another point I have no idea why Grundy cops a lot of @@@@ for his disposal when half out team is of the same ilk. He offers a bit of run an counter attack too which is unusual for a key defender. He's not worse that LRT in my mind. Both are good defenders, but both have some degree of limitation with their disposal.

Our midfield and forward line let us down more times that our backs did last year. In fact, I'm certain that we won games on the back of their significant contribution. At least the forward line has an excuse - their not really quality so you can't expect much. The midfield on the other hand looks very classy on paper, but I felt like we lost the clearance count and contested ball numbers against teams who have a less rated collection of players.
    I disagree. As stated before, I am a Grundy fan but his disposal is very, very poor. Yes, our guys are generally bad, but his is worst. Just watch him this weekend with this in mind. He will limit his opponent very well and will repel a number of attacks, but he will hand the ball over to their midfield with his kicks more times than not. *

* Now he will play a blinder...

Just wild about Harry
    Actually, when I first saw this thread I was intrigued as to how Teddy was going to find me a lady...

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Which top 4 sides should we concentrate on watching, the two that beat us last year or the two that we beat at their home 'fortress' ???
    I wouldn't call our win against a flat and tired geelong as a feather in the hat. If emotions hadnt been running high that week for the bloods we could have been beaten by a half arsed geelong side.

I enjoyed the win but i wouldnt call it a win against a very good geelong side on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Actually, when I first saw this thread I was intrigued as to how Teddy was going to find me a lady...
    Now there is a subject for the Richards Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast