Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can our BACK LINE win us a GF ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Grundy is the weak link. Makes too many unforced errors and sides appear to work on getting him back onto the last line of defence to exploit this weakness.
    I reckon this problem is overstated. Obviously last year he was pretty terrible at times, but then it was revealed he'd been battling glandular fever for a couple of months. Having suffered this myself a couple of years back, I'm not in the least bit surprised he was making errors. I could barely put my socks on when I had it. While he made a couple of minor mistakes against GWS, he wasn't alone, and his preseason form has been very solid. I reckon we'll see a much improved Grundy this year.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Armstrong will hopefully be our Yarran in terms of being that way out with precision kicking.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

listen Pet our backline is not the problem! In a pinch I think our lot win 7 out of 10. What we need to do is try to win 6 out of 10 in the forwardline. Bloody near impossible with what we are working with! Not only from the point of view that we seem to play every tom, dick and backman in the forwardline. We have to at least give those playing there a good run at the footy by delivering it to their advantage. We also have to have people who can run to the right spot to get delivered to!

It's frustrating that we're really just one more KPP (forward) away from the top 4. You only need to look at the difference Bradshaw made during his brief stay at the club, we were direct and looked dangerous every time we went forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    It's frustrating that we're really just one more KPP (forward) away from the top 4. You only need to look at the difference Bradshaw made during his brief stay at the club, we were direct and looked dangerous every time we went forward.
    Exactly right. Were just missing that true FF. Id play sammy at FF and goodesy at half forward if i was horse. Will offer us heaps of directness and potency up forward if sammy can get his kicking good.

Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    Exactly right. Were just missing that true FF. Id play sammy at FF and goodesy at half forward if i was horse. Will offer us heaps of directness and potency up forward if sammy can get his kicking good.
    Sam is a true CHF if I am from Broken Hill! The problem is we have not had a good record of treating or knowing how to play CHF's up here due to the short SCG. But there was a time when our ground was not the only short ground and SHF's were appreciated on the SCG! Luffy managed as did Denis Carroll

Can our back line win us a GF? Well if we are actually in the GF then our back line has a 50/50 chance of winning it doesn't it? Let's just take it one week at a time !!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post
    I wouldn't call our win against a flat and tired geelong as a feather in the hat. If emotions hadnt been running high that week for the bloods we could have been beaten by a half arsed geelong side.

I enjoyed the win but i wouldnt call it a win against a very good geelong side on the day.
    Being the glass half empty guy that you are, you would see it that way.

I prefer to think we made them look ordinary because we were so switched on and played to the top of our potential.

Every quarter baby, every quarter.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

We have a pretty good balanced backline and I seriously think in terms of our backline it is one of the top ones in the afl. Teddy, Grundy, Smith, Shaw, Mattner, Malceski and AJ coming through the system as well and developing very well our backline looks very good at the moment. Teddy and Grundy give us the height and spoiling over the key forwards, smithy and shaw our small mobile mopping up backmen and malceski the brilliant user off half back. Aj is so athletic and quick as well, to convert him from a forward to a key backman has been a credit to the swannys coaches.

Full forward solution, ROK. Not the biggest but can mark, lead and kick truly. The younger boys should pick up the slack in the guts, so Ryano to see out his career kicking bags. Hes capable of being easily a 40 goal forward for us I believe.

ROK would probably pack up and leave if tehy asked him to play permanent full forward. He wanted to leave so he could get more midfield time, and he's pretty good at the stoppages where wqe need to harder, experienced players. Wins clearances for us, without clearances, the forward line is not much use
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Kennedy , jack , Parker , Bolton all capable of winning clearances. He should play where he is needed. He's a goal kicker, we need him to kick goals. IMHO of course.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast