Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can our BACK LINE win us a GF ?

Can our BACK LINE win us a GF ?

After watching the NAB Cup and looking at the rd 1 back lines of the top teams.........i am still worried that we are not a top backline and no matter how much forward press pressure we apply when it comes down to it our lads are not a Geelong nor Pies etc back line

Smithy, Ted, Shaw
    Mattner, Grundy, AJ

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure I agree as feel we match up very well against everyone but more interested in what's missing?

Warming the Bench
    I think our backline in the traditional sense is one of the better ones but other then shaw we have no quick and efficient exits out such as hawthorn's Suckling and carlton's Yarran.

I feel like the area's where sydney lack compared to say hawthorn or west coast is our lack of a good-quick outside mid, predictable forward line and rebound play from defense.

I reckon that if we could improve two of my points above we would be a much better club.

This is a pretty hilarious thread considering our backline is the best line we have.

To put it another way, I seriously doubt it would be our backline that would loose us a GF.

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    This is a pretty hilarious thread considering our backline is the best line we have.

To put it another way, I seriously doubt it would be our backline that would loose us a GF.
    This!

It'll be the success of the forward line that will dictate whether we are a top 4 side or just a side languishing in the bottom part of the 8.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    Grundy is the weak link. Makes too many unforced errors and sides appear to work on getting him back onto the last line of defence to exploit this weakness.

I believe we have the backline and the midfield of a serious top 4 team, its just that we have absolutely no forward line to speak about. Its a shambles and it changes every week.

I think this kerfuffle about our forward line is a bit over the top. Most teams have 2 key forwards, one of which is a backup ruck, the rest are midfielders who can rotate thru the forward line. So what we are missing is the second key forward, Spang or White will have to step into this void or we will be in trouble. If Sam Reid isn't enouigh CHF for anyone I think yr WRONG. With the resting ruckman we will have 3 talls up front and blokes like Benny, Jude, Rohan, ROK, Goodes al taking their turn forward and mid. This is now the norm, the days of a front six are over, really, I'd rather see an open forward line anyway, the more people you put in there the harder and more congested it gets. We just need that one extra blloke to stand up and say I'm the man to foil for Reid and take contested marks. Grundy teh weak link in the backline? MAybe lacks pace, but he and Ted are pretty good marks, and AJ and Shaw are prety good at bringing the ball out, MArty has a long kick, really, the backline works, not many big scores kicked against us and if necessary, we can always swap LRT and Reg over. Nice to have options once yr on the park
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

Smithy, Ted, Shaw
    Mattner, Grundy, AJ
    are we sure this is our best back six? I'm happier when I see Shaw with a run with role than a full-time defender especially when that increases the odds he'll be kicking in. Fingers crossed Armstrong will get a chance in due course. And can we see a role for LRT as a tall defender in place of Reg or Marty?

main reason for the thread is that I think that the Cats and Pies forward line has looked better because of their backs being so dominant

the counter attack and the man on man strength of the Cats and the Pies has allowed their forwards the time and space to look better and perform better

I could be wrong though..........maybe its the Cats and Pies forwards that will go down in history as the best of all time ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Grundy is the weak link. Makes too many unforced errors and sides appear to work on getting him back onto the last line of defence to exploit this weakness.
    In the contest Grundy is very good but it is the kicking on the last line that is woeful. But in saying that Mal, Shawie and Marty have all been guilty of that over a long period of time. Those scrappy kicks have been a part of our backline for far too long and someone should have been doing psych stuff with the offenders ages ago.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by India'sDad View Post
    are we sure this is our best back six? I'm happier when I see Shaw with a run with role than a full-time defender especially when that increases the odds he'll be kicking in. Fingers crossed Armstrong will get a chance in due course. And can we see a role for LRT as a tall defender in place of Reg or Marty?
    This.

I love Grundy in everything he does except his kicking. He will find a target 1 out of 5 kicks and more often than not, his kicks go to the opposition. In theory, he should be there for his marking then give it off to someone like Louis or Eski. I think we still need LRT at fullback to mind the resting ruckmen, but I agree that currently our backline is our strength - it is a lack of outside running and forwards breaking free that gives us heartburn.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast