Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 3: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 3: Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves

NEAFL Round 3
    Sydney Swans Reserves v Gold Coast Suns Reserves
    Saturday 7th April 2011 10.35am
    Sydney Cricket Ground

After a bye that was designed to coincide with the seniors' week off, the Ressies return to the SCG for the first of many cross-conference clashes, coming up against a strong Suns Reserves outfit. The Reserves didn't play many matches at the SCG last year due to the unbelievable amount of rain that saw their matches moved off to Lakeside Oval and players, coaches and fans alike will be praying the rain stays off in the coming 2 days. The return of Ryan O'Keefe and Rhyce Shaw to the senior side and the injury returns of Tony Armstrong and Jordan Lockyer has resulted in a very strong lineup named and as there are no restrictions on listed players (as both teams are AFL reserve grade side) this is a match that many are looking forward to.

Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsForAgainstPercentagePoints
    Queanbeyan2200341170200.50%8
    Reserves110015134444.12%4
    Eastlake110013575180.00%4
    Belconnen211024124399.18%4
    Hills Eagles211021422296.40%4
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ainslie211019325077.20%4
    Sydney Uni202018022181.45%0
    Tuggeranong202012733537.91%0
    UWS10103415122.52%0

Northern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsForAgainstPercentagePoints
    Labrador2200228138165.22%8
    NT Thunder2200268168159.52%8
    Brisbane Lions110012461203.28%4
    Suns Reserves110013165201.54%4
    Aspley2110244201121.39%4
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Southport211022423196.97%4
    Redland211023324296.28%4
    Broadbeach202015021868.81%0
    Mt Gravatt202015826459.85%0
    Morningside10105514238.73%0

Past Meetings
    R7 Reserves 18.12 (120) defeated Gold Coast Reserves 3.10 (28)
    Another relocated wet-weather game to Lakeside Oval saw the Reserves defeat the Suns with surprising ease. Jarred Moore starred in the damp conditions with his grunt work out of the middle while Trent Dennis-Lane destroyed Suns defenders Josh Toy and Harley Bennell with a 7 goal haul.

Goals: Dennis-Lane 7, Johnston 3, Meredith 2, Malceski, McKaigue, Robinson, A.Moody, Bevan, Seaby
    Best: Moore Dennis-Lane Meredith White McNeil Bevan Seaby

R15 Gold Coast Reserves 21.15 (141) defeated Reserves 9.8 (62)
    A few late withdrawals were compounded with in-game injuries and an unusual 'sending off' for Nathan Gordon resulted in a smaller than expected squad playing out the majority of this game. After an encouraging first quarter when they only trailed the Suns by a goal, the Reserves lacked the offensive sharpness that we've often come to associated with them and only managed another 5 goals in the last 3 quarters.

Goals: Everitt 3, White 2, Gordon, Sumner, McNeil, E.Moody
    Best: Seaby White Sumner McNeil

Recent Form
    Reserves
    R1 UWS Away WIN 151-34
    R2 BYE

Gold Coast Reserves
    R1 BYE
    R2 Southport Away WIN 131-65

Last Round
    The Reserves officially had a bye but organised another matchup with the UWS Giants as a practice match. The match was much closer than the events that transpired 6 days previously with the Swans winning through their accurate kicking 15.3 (93) 9.13 (67)

Southport 10.5 (65) defeated by Gold Coast Reserves 19.17 (131)
    Goals: Magin 3, Gillbee 3, McKenzie 2, Stanley 2, Patrick 2, Toy, Napiorkowski, Weller, McNamara, Fraser, Day, Klessens
    Best: McQualter, Coad, Horsley, McKenzie, Fraser, Gillbee

Team List
    Listed players
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    1Mark SEABY126Senior emergency
    8Trent DENNIS-LANE165 
    10Mitch MORTON110 
    11Jed LAMB120 
    13Andrejs EVERITT000Senior emergency
    17Tommy WALSH100 
    18Jesse WHITE143Senior emergency
    19Tony ARMSTRONG000 
    23Jordan LOCKYER000 
    28Dylan McNEIL111 
    33Jarred MOORE124 
    35Campbell HEATH100 
    38Mike PYKE120 
    42Jack LYNCH102 
    44Harry CUNNINGHAM000 
    45Nathan GORDON100 
    Changes
    In: Everitt (senior demotion), Armstrong (injury return), Lockyer (injury return), Cunningham (senior demotion)
    Out: Brett Meredith (Unknown?), Shane Biggs (Unknown?)

The first official run for Armstrong in the red and white and we've only had a glimpse of Lockyer in the first NAB Cup match. The balance of the side will be interesting with Seaby, TDL, Morton, Everitt, Walsh, White, Pyke and Gordon all very capable players in the forward line, and with a senior spot more likely in the forwards than in the backs, coach Jared Crouch will have to make switches throughout the match to provide an opportunity for all. Walsh and Morton spent time in defence against UWS and Gordon was seen further upfield than the forward role he occupied in the second half of the 2011 season.

Pyke has shown Wolverine-like qualities in recovering from what sounded like a serious PCL injury. The absence of Meredith and Biggs robs us of some run with McNeil, Lamb and probably Gordon, Moore and Lockyer likely forming the nucleus of the midfield.

Heath and Lynch will have their hands full as undersized defenders against the (very) tall forwards named by the Suns. It is likely one or more of Everitt, White, Walsh or even Pyke will be assigned defensive roles to counter the height of the Suns.

Academy Players/Topups
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    47Jackson POTTER100 
    51Daniel ROBINSON000 
    52Stephen WRAY000 
    53Brandon JACK000 
    54David LYCAKIS000 
    55Lachlan KILPATRICK000 
    60Rory PRYOR000 
    Changes
    In: Jack, Kilpatrick, Lycakis, Pryor, Robinson, Wray
    Out: Bryce Addison, Josh Cass, Andrew Gulden, Beau Heeney, Nathan Kenny, Monty Krochmal, Tim Wales

Academy kids return after being unavailable against UWS due to their match against the GWS academy. All bar Kilpatrick and Lycakis played for the reserves last year

Reserves leading goalkickers

• Trent Dennis-Lane 6
    • Jesse White 4
    • Josh Cass, Jed Lamb, Jarred Moore, Mike Pyke, Mark Seaby 2

For full list: 2012 Goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters

• Mark Seaby 6
    • Trent Dennis-Lane 5
    • Jarred Moore 4

For full list: 2012 Best Votes - RWOwiki

Talking points
    • In parts of the UWS game, Dennis-Lane was seen further up the field than his usual station deep in the forward 50. Playing as a pure forward and kicking bags of goals against substandard defences will not teach us anything new about his game. A different role either in the midfield or even in defence, for TDL may be a coaching masterstroke. It will allow him to work on his tackling and his fitness - 2 areas of his game that have been criticised by the coaches.
    • Mitch Morton has been disappointing since his transfer from the Tigers. He has failed to have any real impact, firstly in the NAB Cup and recently in the 2 reserves matches. It wouldn't surprise to see him assigned an on-ball role as the named team is lacking a little in the midfield department and it will also allow Mitch to get his hands on the ball.
    • Tommy Walsh hasn't been much better than Morton and Swans fans will be keen to see him replicate the barnstorming performances when he led the Irish forwards in the International Rules series. Having continually switched him between defence and attack during the pre-season, a settled position may help Tommy adjust and contribute to the team.
    • Jesse White has started the season well kicking 3 goals in each of the 2 games against the Giants. He has led well and provided a strong option up forward and will need to continue this form if he is to force his way into the seniors.
    • Very keen to see Armstrong in action, he looked very lively in the highlights package against the Giants at Blacktown. Has been continually praised for his kicking skills and if/when he gets into the senior team, this accuracy will improve the standard of the sometimes slipshod kicking amongst our otherwise solid back 6.

GC Squad

• 1. Jaeger O'MEARA
    • 6. Alik MAGIN
    • 10. Jarryd KLESSENS
    • 12. Sam DAY
    • 13. Hayden JOLLY
    • 15. Jamie SKENNAR
    • 16. Keiran BRENNAN
    • 17. Josh FRASER
    • 19. Charlie DIXON
    • 20. Josh TOY
    • 22. Tom NICHOLLS
    • 25. Danny STANLEY
    • 27. Michael COAD
    • 29. Taylor HINE
    • 31. Jackson ALLEN
    • 34. Jack HUTCHINS
    • 36. Sam ILES
    • 37. Alex SEXTON
    • 38. Joel WILKINSON
    • 42. Kyal HORSLEY
    • 46. Josh HALL
    • 49. Jacob GILLBEE
    • 50. Henry SCHADE
    • 51. Andrew McQUALTER

A very strong squad with 21 listed players and just 2 topups. There is a good mixture of young up-and-comers intermingled with senior bodies such as Fraser, Coad, Stanley, Iles and McQualter. Besides those mature players, names to keep an eye out for include:
    • O'Meara - still a year from being officially added to the Suns' list, he has impressed in the NAB Cup with his lighting pace and exquisite (alright delicious) foot skills.
    • Dixon - Giant forward/ruckman who gave us some trouble last year in the corresponding match last year. Struggles to get into their senior side due to a combination of their surfeit of tall forwards/ruckmen but also because of his inconsistency. He can dominate periods of a game with his strong grabs and goalkicking but is just as likely to go missing for long periods without touching the ball.
    • Day - Number 3 pick in the 2010 draft, he only managed 7 senior matches last year. An athletic player with a great leap but doesn't accumulate enough posessions to impact games.
    • Schade - The Suns first pick in the 2011 draft (#24 overall), a no-nonsense defender who will have his hands full against White, Walsh, Pyke or Seaby.

Summary

These are two very strong teams who should provide an entertaining battle on Saturday morning. While the Suns may have more listed players at their disposal, the Swans have more mature bodies, whose experience and physical strength at the contested situations may provide the edge for the Swans.
    Last edited by ugg; 7th April 2012 at 01:02 AM.

Oh I see some of the players that should be playing in the A's here! This side will annihilate the Suns! I can't wait to see tony Armstrong play. I also look forward to seeing Jordan Lockyer.

Great summary ugg! Hopefully I'll get to see the game on Sat. Still confirming when I'll be able to get to the ground!

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

I just hope some drunk walking home from Fox doesn't have a piss thru the gates and gets the game moved....

And great work yet again uggmeister
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

We need to find a different word here ugg. Harry having a "demotion" is kind of harsh. He is more like "being rested", "being played in", "working towards", umm, any other suggestions for a seriously talented first gamer in his first season and etc?

Other than that, great and faabulously appreciated work.

Oh and nice work too BBB. I am praying that the rain gods don't hit us before 5pm on Saturday. Couldn't bear it.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

GOod work Ugg.

The Suns have a few quality players so it should be a good game. We should have too much experience for them, though. Let's hope Armstrong plays a big one.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

I'd love to know how Brandon Jack goes if anyone there can keep an eye out for him.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I just hope some drunk walking home from Fox doesn't have a piss thru the gates and gets the game moved....
    Haha, I suspect the SCG trust might consider it, God they treat us shabbily. I'm actually going to miss this game which is pity, because Ugg makes it sound full of interest. Their team looks a lot more experienced I wonder whether we could get rolled.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

I hope they put a dustbin out for Brandon!
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
    I hope they put a dustbin out for Brandon!
    ?????
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    ?????
    Yeah, me to ???????????
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Look up YouTube

I'll be tweeting from @swansreserves

I'll have the twitter client ready and open as we make the mad dash from the gate to the seats!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast