Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shattered for Gary

Robbo started to question Thomas's approach to the ball on SEN, but the issue was brushed aside in 20 seconds.

Edit: they are talking about it now.
    Last edited by DLBIA14; 23rd April 2012 at 02:28 PM.

Regular in the Side
    Robbo discussed it in his column in Herald Sun today - suggested it should definitely be looked at.

Will probably be discussed on AFL 360 tonight then ... As long as they don't show the footage again!

Agree is was dangerous but don't think it should be more than a few weeks - needs to act as a warning and like Longmire has said to Goodes, players just have to keep their feet.

Hopefully Gary's injury acts as a catalyst to stamp these tactics out of the game ... Just shattered it had to come at this cost!

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Robbo started to question Thomas's approach to the ball on SEN, but the issue was brushed aside in 20 seconds.

Edit: they are talking about it now.
    I was going to tweet Robbo about it before tonights AFL360. He was adamant last year that McPharlin had a duty of care to not run into Jono Brown but was one out with nobody backing him up. In fact most thought he was stark raving mad and I must admit I thought he was drawing a long bow to blame McPharlin. This one however is much more worthy of questioning.

I reckon this incident will get a long hearing tonight on AFL360.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Poor Gaz was warming for a ripper season and its come to a shattering halt. Best wishes for his recovery, but he definitely looks to have the mindset to get through it!

In regards to sliding, it should be fairly straight forward.. no sliding whatsoever unless it's head first at the ball.
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

You know what - i been waiting for an injury like this to happen. I am gobsmacked that what happened to poor gaz yesterday doesnt happen often. The amount of times i see hard bodies fall on top of ankles..and then it happened. I didnt look at all because i still remember watching Nathan Browns break years ago and it took a while for it to leave my mind.

And i doubt the MRP will look into it. If they don't then it's a bloody disgrace.

The main concern i have for Gaz if he ever comes back is - will his pace be the same? The realist in me says we have seen the last of a very good player BUT the glass half full person in me says he will.

Happy and I know it
    Tweet from Gary just came through. What a sweetie, still thinking of the team.

Gary Rohan ? @RohanGary
    Thanks for the loving support from everyone great win by the boys #goswans
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Happy and I know it
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

http://t.co/twx8Qua7

Have NO idea how to do this, but twitter, Gary got Jed Lamb to post a twitter photo after his op. Its pretty ok. What a @@@@ty thing to happen!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

What a kid. So likable. Imagine breaking your ankle and then giving the crowd a thumbs up when they're stretchering you off and you're in immense pain. Unfortunately his got such a serious type of break. Long road back and I wish him well, but its a very uncertain journey in front of him. Good luck Gaz, we do love you.
    Last edited by DLBIA14; 23rd April 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Well at least we know he is in very goods at the swans. Dr Gibbs should take care of him.

Dr Gibbs..dam how longs he been with us for?

As a kid he was the card i needed to finish the south sydney scanlens set!

Anyone watch the vid with Barrett & Darcy on AFL.com.au??

There was a piece on Gary Rohan and players sliding in around the 5:25 mark. The incident was compared to that of Goodes and they came to the conclusion that it was nowhere near as severe as what Goodes had done in the NAB or the incident with Surjan. I am 100% behind the decision in the NAB which I believe to be the crudest form of sliding (with studs up) but the play on Surjan was 50-50 with both players sliding at impact and Goodes being a "bigger", more imposing player I believe was unfairly targeted. Had that ball of landed towards Goodes and Surjan the infringing player, I believe it would have been a non-issue. If you look at the footage closely both players slide in knees first and feet towards the other player.

But getting back to how they viewed the incident, here is what I find disturbing:

Darcy: "Goodes got suspended, quite rightly so. It was a dangerous situation and he put his knees in."
    Barrett: "Should Thomas be looked at?"
    Darcy: "Nah I don't think so. I don't think there was any intent for him to maim or injure Gary Rohan, it was an accident"

The wording from Darcy was what really bothers me or I may be reading too much in to it.
    Well, is it just me or is Goodes being remonstrated with unfairly and the "smaller" Thomas getting off lightly? I may be opening a small v big guy debate as well but this sliding issue has to be dealt with before another broken foot ruins another player's season/career.
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast