Thread: C'mon Seven, get with the program - Chance to have your say

C'mon Seven, get with the program - Chance to have your say

Get onto Rohan Connolly's article criticising Channel Seven coverage of AFL in today's SMH (Monday, 30th April) and have your say in the Comments area. If you want to be heard, and perhaps split the comedy double act (sheesh) etc, now's your chance.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Hear! Hear! No wonder attendance at AFL games is so good, when the coverage is so bad. The only exception I can recall is the coverage of yesterday's Swans game. I thought it was brilliant actually - made me think "this is what we've been missing". Reposting my comment from the game day thread:

The commentators were more interested in discussing the game than being stand-up comics, they actually provided *analysis* of team structure and the play, they called what was happening off-screen and the vision included lots of pulled-out, wide angle shots so you could see what was going on. I wish all games were covered like this. As for eulogising Buddy, I don't blame them. He is probably the best forward in the competition and you have to worry every time the ball goes anywhere near him. Makes the job that Teddy & Reg did shutting him down all the more impressive and the commentators rightly praised them for it.

It's here
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

On the Rookie List
    I'm just eternally grateful that we're finally getting heaps more footy into the lounge room via 7MATE. Yesterday, after the Swans match we had coverage of Tigers and West Coast, nailbiting towards the end, especially with the prospect of the Weagles losing and leaving us undefeated on top of the ladder.
    What I have disliked about the coverage is the switching of camera angles as Connolly points out: you lose continuity. My main bugbear however is the pre and mid match interviews with coaches, players etc. I just don't care for them. And I hate all this "miking up". I'd like to see a bit more "arms length" in the coverage. But that's me, I'm sure some people think it's great.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Oh my, didn't think this would happen. You have got to have a look at the article. there are up to now 142 comments, not one challenging the notion that channel seven's call is a mess.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

This comment pretty much summed it up for mine

"They can start by telling Dennis and Bruce that they aren't funny so stop trying to be. And the producers show us replays of FOOTBALL, not a super slo-mo replay of a high 5 or fist pump or which wags or D grade celebs are in the stands
    Commenter
    Mick"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    This comment pretty much summed it up for mine

"They can start by telling Dennis and Bruce that they aren't funny so stop trying to be. And the producers show us replays of FOOTBALL, not a super slo-mo replay of a high 5 or fist pump or which wags or D grade celebs are in the stands
    Commenter
    Mick"
    Sums it up for me!!
    Add BT learning players names.

Senior Player
    There's a response from C7 to the article today. It's not what you'd call apologetic.

The one virtue of me catching up with this whole debate is that I've now been alerted to Brett Kirk's 'energy exchange' video (it's on YouTube), which is totally bizarre. Perhaps kind of in a good way, but mostly in a bizarre way.