Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We owe the tigers a belting.

Warming the Bench
    If you look at the team stats, this on paper looks like a team the Swans should easily account for.

Avg contested pos: Swans equal 1st; Tigers equal 16th
    Clearances: Swans Equal 1st ; Tigers 15th
    Tackles: Swans 2nd; Tigers 13th

Only big concern is the Swans record at the MCG. Yeah I know stats aren't everything but for me this weekend will be more about how we use the ball going in to the F50, we 'should' be able to win the middle. Hopefully White/TDL/Pyke/Morton (in that order) get a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby_bolts View Post
    Games unexpectedly lost to Richmond; Swans 1st

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Sadly true....lol

I think getting beaten on Sat night should have a positive influence on our chances this Saturday. Had we got out of gaol the other night we may well have had a letdown this week. Should be hungrier now...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Sadly true....lol

I think getting beaten on Sat night should have a positive influence on our chances this Saturday. Had we got out of gaol the other night we may well have had a letdown this week. Should be hungrier now...
    Hopefully the boys respond by actually wearing their boots in the first quarter instead of their slippers
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby_bolts View Post
    If you look at the team stats, this on paper looks like a team the Swans should easily account for.

Only big concern is the Swans record at the MCG. Yeah I know stats aren't everything but for me this weekend will be more about how we use the ball going in to the F50, we 'should' be able to win the middle. Hopefully White/TDL/Pyke/Morton (in that order) get a crack.
    A lot of commentators and pundits like to use the clearances stats to show what a great contested ball side we are but the main reason we are always high in that stat over the Roos-Longmire era is that we attend the most ruck contests of any side in the league. If you rank the league on the clearances percentage rate, (clearances / ruck contests) you'll find we're just slightly better than average.

There is a similar degree of verisimilitude with the tackles stat too - we're high up there but we also average the highest tackles against (1st or 2nd) in the league too. It's just a reflection of the contested style of football we play. A more relevant stat would be tackle completion rate but I don't think the public has access to that stat.

Unfortunately I can't poke any holes in the MCG stat

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    A lot of commentators and pundits like to use the clearances stats to show what a great contested ball side we are but the main reason we are always high in that stat over the Roos-Longmire era is that we attend the most ruck contests of any side in the league. If you rank the league on the clearances percentage rate, (clearances / ruck contests) you'll find we're just slightly better than average.

There is a similar degree of verisimilitude with the tackles stat too - we're high up there but we also average the highest tackles against (1st or 2nd) in the league too. It's just a reflection of the contested style of football we play. A more relevant stat would be tackle completion rate but I don't think the public has access to that stat.

Unfortunately I can't poke any holes in the MCG stat
    Fine, I'll go back to being worried about this game.

There is a similar degree of verisimilitude with the tackles stat too
    So I had to look up "verisimilitude" on dictionary.com since the most complicated words starting with V that I know are Velour (noun: a soft, smooth fabric) and Vacuum (noun: As in vacuum cleaner ... something I get nagged about not using). For those like me, it apparently means something having the appearance of the truth ... e.g. most words said by politicians, most words posted on R&WOnline, etc.

I'm in the glass-half-full camp for the Tigers game. We lost against the Crows in a game where they were able to match us in the hard midfield stuff plus beat us in the forward line conversion (we had a clear win in inside 50s). Yet we only just lost. I don't see Tigers being able to match us in the midfield and I think our backline will hold the Tigers forwards OK. Despite our lack of a true forward set up, we are averaging about 100 points per game scored and I think that will be enough to win. Tigers have only cracked 100 point once this year (against Demons). All their other games were mostly under 90 points scored. Even the win against Port they only scored 91 (13:13). Riewalt did kick 4, so negating him will be critical. But I expect we will do this by starving his supply from the midfield.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Pyke had kicked his first goal and that was about teh last one that we got. Kirk showed he had slowed down when he was easily run around for the Tigers to kick the sealer. It was a disappointing day.
    Like a dog with a bone
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Opening market has the Tigers 1.85 favourites, Swans 1.95.

Situation restored, we're the nobody-rates-us underdogs again.

Happy and I know it
    Opening market has the Tigers 1.85 favourites, Swans 1.95.

Situation restored, we're the nobody-rates-us underdogs again.
    Strangely, that makes me feel better.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Strangely, that makes me feel better.
    Yes
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast