Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 V Tigers

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd like to see us bring in someone to play FF and stay close to goal. Maybe that's Walsh (impressive with his leading, marking and conversion today, albeit against witches' hats) or maybe it's White. Or maybe it's a smaller player, like Nipper or TDL. Reid needs to play further away from the goal square, I reckon. His speed and mobility are almost as good assets as his hands but he seems to be quite static at the moment. More of a roaming role around CHF might free him up a bit. It might also clear out our forward line a bit.
    I completely agree, he has been playing from the goal square a lot this year- most of the excitement last year really came from him playing a traditional CHF role. I'd have no issue with bringing Walsh in and telling him "you start at the goal square and run in straight lines" then telling Sam to start 30 metres in front and just roam. He's struggling with his goal kicking, but the coaching staff are putting him in a position every week structurally by having him play so deep where his main job really is kicking goals- I'm sure knowing he isn't doing that is adding to the pressure on him. Play him higher, make him an avenue to goal and actually scoring goals a secondary responsibility- if some of his goal kicking problems are between his ears then I'm sure removing it as his primary responsibility would help.

They need to do something about it, if he's been carrying injuries then just rest him and don't crush his confidence any further. 9, 7, 5, 6 with only the 1 goal in the past month- I'm pretty sure others would be dropped for that.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    ffs...FFS

His last 4 games:

Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO GA GC I50 FF FA DT SC
    Round 6 5th May Adelaide Loss 94-99 4 2 6 4 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 34 34
    Round 5 29th Apr Hawthorn Win 106-69 3 2 5 3 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 32 27
    Round 4 22nd Apr North Melbourne Win 113-77 2 5 7 1 0 2 3 0 0 0 1 2 0 35 29
    Round 3 14th Apr Port Adelaide Win 105-83 5 4 9 4 1 0 0 0 1 2 1 0 0 41 63

6, 5, 7 and 9 disposals.

Goals: 0, 0, 0 and 1.
    FFS, ffs, FFS

Last 6 games; win win win win win loss

His efforts in taking his 2 men away from contests or manning up the opposition loose defender (ie making it a 2 on 1) had a huge effect on that most important stat.

Reid is a massive worry. If he is playing injured then that's stupid, especially since we have plenty of full forwards in the ressies. His terrible form in the past 2 or 3 games must surely be knocking his confidence.

My changes:

In: White, TDL
    Out: Goodes, Everitt

On the Rookie List
    Don't expect to see many changes, but there are a couple of players who have had a mediocre start to the season who have escaped critism by virtue of the winning streak. I was listening to MMM today and Luffy gave Sam Reid a touch up for his last 3 performances. I wonder if a week in the ressies and kicking 10 goals would ultimately be a good idea.
    Others:

The White vs LRT is an ongoing RWO discussion. Think White should get another run at LRT's expense.

The forward line is getting worse, despite the form of Goodes, ROK and Jetta, so some work needs to be done there...

While Everitt has been serviceable I think there may be more effective in the 2's that could take his place.

McGlynn hasn't been effective as a forward. The same happened last year - then he moved into the midfield in a tagging role and stepped his game up. Unimpressed since his return forward.

So the names to bandy about - Reid, Everitt, McGlynn and LRT.

Expected changes; none.
    I agree, I think he needs to get some badly needed confidence and form back, he isnt doing what he is meant to be and that is kicking goals. I feel for him because this is pretty much his second season and he has this huge expectation on him as the main target in the forward line.....we could bring in anyone of TDL, White, Walsh and also Morton into that forward line. Seaby out aswell please, pyke the replacement. I too am not going to expect any changes unless forced.

On the Rookie List swansprincess's Avatar
    Agree, but Reid is suffering from a severe lack of confidence...
    All the more reason to let him kick some goals and gain confidence in the ressies. In all honesty (and I'm probably going to be berated for having this opinion, but) it is really disheartening to me that Reid is still in the side based on marking skills, potential and the fact he takes extra defenders, rather than an ability to kick goals.
    I'm a fan of Reid, but letting him find his form in the seniors when players like TDL are already able to kick goals and often, is not fair. The best performing 22 should be in the team.
    If the selectors are so set on him being in the side (which they obviously are) then I agree with the suggestion to play him up the field. When he takes marks in the forward 50 it is almost a liability.
    The reason we lost last night was because we do not have a functioning forward line. Reid is, in my opinion, the biggest problem there. And if Goodes is out injured now, I understand why they'd want to keep Sam in (even if I disagree) but TDL or someone of the like, HAS to come in. Great marking players are a good thing to have in the team, but goals win games -something that Reid can't provide at the moment but other who are clearly not being given a chance, can.

Also Everritt playing sub is a horrendous decision.

The drop LRT and keep Reid posters confuse me.

They argue that LRT should be dropped based on form, not history or creidts in the bank. Yet don't want to apply the same standards to Reid.

On the Rookie List swansprincess's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

They argue that LRT should be dropped based on form, not history or creidts in the bank. Yet don't want to apply the same standards to Reid.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

If you can't see the difference betweenwhere these 2 are at I suggest you give up watching football

Reid is a class youngster who will come good again soon. We carried Jetta for 2 years and look at him now. Playing in the ressies won't help him cos frankly the ressies comp is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by swansprincess View Post
    All the more reason to let him kick some goals and gain confidence in the ressies. In all honesty (and I'm probably going to be berated for having this opinion, but) it is really disheartening to me that Reid is still in the side based on marking skills, potential and the fact he takes extra defenders, rather than an ability to kick goals.
    I'm a fan of Reid, but letting him find his form in the seniors when players like TDL are already able to kick goals and often, is not fair. The best performing 22 should be in the team.
    If the selectors are so set on him being in the side (which they obviously are) then I agree with the suggestion to play him up the field. When he takes marks in the forward 50 it is almost a liability.
    The reason we lost last night was because we do not have a functioning forward line. Reid is, in my opinion, the biggest problem there. And if Goodes is out injured now, I understand why they'd want to keep Sam in (even if I disagree) but TDL or someone of the like, HAS to come in. Great marking players are a good thing to have in the team, but goals win games -something that Reid can't provide at the moment but other who are clearly not being given a chance, can.

Also Everritt playing sub is a horrendous decision.
    I thought we had a good set up when Goodes was leading out but if we bombed it in long we had nobody playing under Reid or LRT and on occasions LRT stuffed up the crumbers by diving at the ball as he fell. They were able to clear very easily from our bombing the ball in. Where were the crumbers? They had players at the contest where were ours? If they had three or four players following Reid around, two to fly and one or two to crumb why were we not able to spot up our players who were alone.

Reg needs his eyesight checked, twice last night he had players on the spread and either couldn't see them or ignored them. On both occasions he kicked short, the first worked because of a sensational second kick from Jetts, the second eventually got turned over and Petrenko kicked a goal. In the second instance he had a player so lonely in the centre square he was crying! If he had have got it to him we would have had a sure goal as the forward line was open.

Reid's biggest problem is LRT. As the SEN team we saying last night every contest R eid is up against two to three opponents as LRT is not a threat.

He must go, simply no ability as a forward ruck an

I would be happy with Walsh or White

Im one that think LRT needs a couple of weeks in 2's and I have been one of LRT's biggest supporters when he was RWO punching bag but the difference was LRT was playing in defence.
    He played his defensive role and usually took the best fwd. There is no doubt he tries his heart out but he hasnt been able to imapct the game in 2nd ruck fwd role but why he was rushed back in so soon after injury has done him no favours.

LRT looks out of form and playing with low confidence plus there would be at least 3 options for his role , White . Pyke and on the outside Walsh.

Reid is down on form but we dont know his match day instructions, he is drawing the most attention from opposition defences would White Pyke or Walsh worry the opposition as much IMHO and no disrespect to those guys probably not.

So Reid still has an important role to play in our fwd structure even though his form is down.

IMHO this is why some may be asking for LRT to be dropped but not Reid

Cheers

waz

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast