Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: Game Day Thread - Round 7 against the Tigers (please play nice)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Bring back Ray Chamberlain!
    It wasn't that bad!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Our problem was the same as it has been for 4 or 5 years....inability to spread and inability to stop the spread. This gets horribly exacerbated when losing the contested possession. When we win contested possession etc...we can sometimes go on and win the game if the other team is only average (roos) or off it's game (hawks). But we are the worst team in the league at getting CLEAN ball out of congestion...that is to say a player FACING FORWARDS who can kick or handball directly ahead. Tiges ALWAYS had a spare man around every contest and if they won a contested ball they could shove it a bloke in space. we can never, ever seem to do this. hence inside 50s for the game were 49 to 48!!!!!! Yet we were never in the game. we had a million entries of the kick over the shoulder and hope variety. When we entered properly (10 times or so) we actually look OK.

As for why we lost the inside so badly, I'm afraid i have to say that Seaby is the number one reason. I don't know if he is stupid or incompetent but to see the number of timeds he palmed down to his knees directly to an opponent (not just at the weekend) is staggering. Does he not have any idea where the Swans are?? I'm not talking about sharking (where the ball is directed to a Swan but is cut off) I mean he actually palms it straight to the opposition. Added to which he cannot pick up the ball....or run...or tackle.

Pyke is a properly clever ruckman....AND he can run....AND he can tackle. Give him a bloody go!

Someone mentioned beating direct opponents. Well said. perfect example v Adelaide....game there to be won a goal or so down in the 4th...getting momentum back....good entry to 50 .... one on one 30 metres out....O'Keefe in best position....outmarked by Reilly...2 uncontested possessions....goal....game over (OK I exaggerate, if Jetta had snapped straight we would still have pulled off a miracle). it was a perfect example a single moment where our player was not good enough. That's when you end up losing even when the endeavour was good. Contrast Nick Smith beating Hawks through the middle. There was a Tiger did a Nick Smith on Saturday....beat 4 or 5 Swans at the back of the square....waltzed straight up the centre for an uncontested mark 30 metres out. We really have had this ability over the years to bring out the best in average teams.

UNfortunately the worst is yet to come. The three best spreading teams are Carlton, Essendon and West Coast. we just cannot get numbers to the contest anywhere on the ground....or stop the uncontested possessions.

Someone wondered why we didn't go up the corridor...well d'uh we are the worst spreading team in the comp so there are no free players ANYWHERE on the ground when we have the ball....let alone up the middle! Clearly we were wrong, it was a matter of the Hawks going to sleep not us suddenly being brilliant. Even against GWS, Roos and Freo we only won 2 quarters.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Our problem was the same as it has been for 4 or 5 years....inability to spread and inability to stop the spread. This gets horribly exacerbated when losing the contested possession. When we win contested possession etc...we can sometimes go on and win the game if the other team is only average (roos) or off it's game (hawks). But we are the worst team in the league at getting CLEAN ball out of congestion...that is to say a player FACING FORWARDS who can kick or handball directly ahead. Tiges ALWAYS had a spare man around every contest and if they won a contested ball they could shove it a bloke in space. we can never, ever seem to do this. hence inside 50s for the game were 49 to 48!!!!!! Yet we were never in the game. we had a million entries of the kick over the shoulder and hope variety. When we entered properly (10 times or so) we actually look OK.

As for why we lost the inside so badly, I'm afraid i have to say that Seaby is the number one reason. I don't know if he is stupid or incompetent but to see the number of timeds he palmed down to his knees directly to an opponent (not just at the weekend) is staggering. Does he not have any idea where the Swans are?? I'm not talking about sharking (where the ball is directed to a Swan but is cut off) I mean he actually palms it straight to the opposition. Added to which he cannot pick up the ball....or run...or tackle.

Pyke is a properly clever ruckman....AND he can run....AND he can tackle. Give him a bloody go!

Someone mentioned beating direct opponents. Well said. perfect example v Adelaide....game there to be won a goal or so down in the 4th...getting momentum back....good entry to 50 .... one on one 30 metres out....O'Keefe in best position....outmarked by Reilly...2 uncontested possessions....goal....game over (OK I exaggerate, if Jetta had snapped straight we would still have pulled off a miracle). it was a perfect example a single moment where our player was not good enough. That's when you end up losing even when the endeavour was good. Contrast Nick Smith beating Hawks through the middle. There was a Tiger did a Nick Smith on Saturday....beat 4 or 5 Swans at the back of the square....waltzed straight up the centre for an uncontested mark 30 metres out. We really have had this ability over the years to bring out the best in average teams.

UNfortunately the worst is yet to come. The three best spreading teams are Carlton, Essendon and West Coast. we just cannot get numbers to the contest anywhere on the ground....or stop the uncontested possessions.

Someone wondered why we didn't go up the corridor...well d'uh we are the worst spreading team in the comp so there are no free players ANYWHERE on the ground when we have the ball....let alone up the middle! Clearly we were wrong, it was a matter of the Hawks going to sleep not us suddenly being brilliant. Even against GWS, Roos and Freo we only won 2 quarters.
    Firstly I think we were out-coached from the beginning. Horse had Parker on the pine, WHY? By the time he got him on they already had three goals. TDL as a Sub, just stupid! We had a forward problem why leave the one bloke that may help to fix the problem as Sub? He kicked a goal and had a hand in two more and yet a few fans want his blood? He also chased and tried as best he could on a rampaging opposition and with a forward line one down because ROK was playing loose in defence.

About putting a player loose in defence! It normally means you are getting carved up and have no idea how to stem the flow without stacking their forward line. But that left a loose player in their defence and they used him far better to set up than we did ROK. That is why in the end they won by so much. Ta Horse, you handed them the game by going defensive! But of course he doesn't know this as he said he has no idea why we lost!

..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I'm with u al
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    TDL as a Sub, just stupid! !
    I agree with this bit.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233