Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Capper back at the SCG

Gee no wonder we were a laughing stock at the start of the 90s. Witches hats, low crowds and the swantits!

They were very hairy from my memory.

And capper didnt wear shorts, they were painted on before each game, i am sure! Gee he was a gun forward but a douche away from footy. What would he be like in todays game? I think it would have suited him more except capper the personlaity would have a problem.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post
    Gee no wonder we were a laughing stock at the start of the 90s. Witches hats, low crowds and the swantits!

And capper didnt wear shorts, they were painted on before each game, i am sure! Gee he was a gun forward but a douche away from footy. What would he be like in todays game? I think it would have suited him more except capper the personlaity would have a problem.
    We need more Wokkers today. Everything is far too sterile. Throw in a couple of Jackos too.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post

I read a great article on him many years ago. The upshot of the interview was that Capper wasn't a Rhodes scholar, but he knew what he was at the Swans for (apart from kicking goals). Edelstein told him at the beginning that he was to be the 'marketing tool' for the team, and he revelled in that knowledge. Capper played his part beautifully while he played for us - both on and off the field.

To this day I respect Capper enormously for his footy ability and for the fact that he knows his limitations in life and has played to his strengths accordingly. If ever he is interviewed I will listen. Whenever he is on TV I will watch, because I think that it is compelling viewing. He knows that his forte in life is marketing (it used to be the Swans but now it is himself) and that is what he is damn good at.

Veterans List
    My brother and I had an interesting talk to Warwick at a club auction in Melbourne in the 80's while he was playing under that "gun" coach Col Kinnear. He was sitting by himself at a break and other players were clearly more in vogue with the fans. We strolled over to him and in our conversation he said he was out of favour with the coach for reasons he didn't know. Sure enough that was his last season of footy. How times have changed; everyone wants to know him now.

I recall watching him in his first season with the reserves and he seriously had the X factor. He grew very quickly as a footballer and was a very exciting player. He was a smart footballer who could get to great heights off one step, and was a serious match winner who gave the best of full backs plenty of curry. He covered plenty of ground and many a time took a handpass for a goal running in after leading up the ground. Had a bit of an awkward kicking style but gee he was accurate.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I remember part of this being played after EVERY Swans goal during the matches.
    So not played very often in the early 90's.

A bearded drag queen cheer squad. We have one of those already dont we?

I'm sure we have at the Sydney games.

I think one of the morning shows has an application for that.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I remember part of this being played after EVERY Swans goal during the matches.
    It was played really loud through a huge P.A. at every goal. If the swans were running hot the noise was appalling, the girls too far away to see. I actually hoped we would stop getting so many goals! That song 3 times in 3 minutes was maddening. The noise at half-time went on and on. I stopped going to the games. Oh the shame.

Goes up to 11
    A reliable source tells me the 3 Swantits are still alive and kicking, but unless the club has tracked them down and booked them in, I don't think they will be gracing the SCG with their presence this weekend unfortunately....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    A reliable source tells me the 3 Swantits are still alive and kicking, but unless the club has tracked them down and booked them in, I don't think they will be gracing the SCG with their presence this weekend unfortunately....
    What a shame! I love these little bits of fan-driven characteristics. I went to my first live Swans game last year, and the "WOOOOOOO" that goes up when the umpire throws the ball up from the boundary is hilarious! But I must admit, the MCG came alive with all those Richmond supporters

Is it possible to encourage to club to do so? I think it would be awsome to see them make an appearance at the SCG this weekend.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    Is it possible to encourage to club to do so? I think it would be awsome to see them make an appearance at the SCG this weekend.
    It would probably scare the kiddies..... And do untold damage to Big Al's telescope....

...And do untold damage to Big Al's telescope....
    I'm a bit unsure whether the Swantits and Big Al have ever been seen at the same game as separate identities. Mmmm.....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I'm a bit unsure whether the Swantits and Big Al have ever been seen at the same game as separate identities. Mmmm.....
    No one's ever seen George Clooney and I in the same room either.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast