Thread: Three Swans in Robbo's "draft All-Australian"

Senior Player

Three Swans in Robbo's "draft All-Australian"

You can probably guess two of them, maybe not the third...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226361619677

Robbo does go on a bit at times, but he does seem to have some level of interest in looking outside Victoria and I give him credit for that. His squad seems pretty reasonable and he has justified his opinions. Kennedy should be starting but that's a minor quibble. He's definitely picked our best 3 players so far this season.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Those are the three I would have picked. Interestingly the two who sprang immediately to my mind were probably not the two you were thinking of. But then again, backmen rarely get the glory.

As obvious as these selections may have been to us, it's great to see recognition given outside of the club. Richards was unlucky not to be All-Australian last year, and not having a Sydney person on the selection panel may have harmed his chances. This may sound a bit silly, but I believe there have been many occasions where players from WA and SA have been given spots when not necessarily deserved, purely because they had someone pulling for them on the committee. Mike Sheahan's mention of Mark Ricciuto's inclusion in 2002, when he finished outside the top 10 in the club's best and fairest, because Neil Kerley was a selector is one example. I have it on good authority that Robert Murphy's inclusion last year was purely due to Luke Darcy banging on about it continuously during the selection of the team. Hopefully Teddy continues to have a great season and is rightfully included, just as Craig Bolton eventually was after many years of missing out. Josh Kennedy is a given in this team but, with many great midfielders running around at the moment, it's still a great acknowledgement for him to be selected. I love that Lewis Jetta has been included, because he has been fantastic in his role this year and, as Robbo mentions, to kick that many goals from his position is a great achievement at this stage of the season.

Blog Entries
    Good to see Ted getting some recognition. Has been in great form, and seems to have ironed out the deficiencies he had earlier in his time with us.
    Jetta has just been in sparkling form, and his sizzling pace is a sight to behold. And now he can finish off his speedster work with goals he is really hurting the opposition.
    Several BOG's and Kennedy can only get named on the bench. Tough to get a gig in the middle. Some quality in there. Great to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

Just wild about Harry
    Robbo was just on SEN talking about his selections and he and Harf were raving about the improvement in Jetta.

You have to love Teddy, carrying on the great tradition of undersized full backs playing above their weight
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Jetta has just been in sparkling form, and his sizzling pace is a sight to behold.
    Lewis Jetta: like champagne at a barbecue.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

bubble me !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I notice Robbo has picked two ruckmen in his team. I'd like our panel to think about that.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Speaking of allegedly being undersized for a KPD, let us never forget: the undisputed (to my mind) turning point in the career of an (according to the knockers at the time) soft, slow, indecisive, list-clogging 'utility', was being forced to play as first ruck against Dean Cox in Perth.

Let us return to that well whenever we want to set some underachieving bloke a task. For example, Jesse White.

Would not have occurred to me to even consider Super Ted for AA. Perhaps simply because unless they're goofing up, conceding goals, going on Rhyce Shaw-esque scything runs, or just looking unco and weird (hi, LRT!) I don't think about defenders anywhere near as much as I should.

Also an amazing achievement for Jetta, a guy who as recently as the mid-later stages of 2011 was struggling to get a game for the firsts (and had been written off as a failed project by a few on here), to get named as being on AA pace. Without bothering to go to the stats, the amazing thing for me watching the game over the last 3 or 4 weeks, is that Jetta's suddenly a ball magnet. Previously in his career, 10 or 12 possessions was par for the course, and basically viewed as acceptable because he was regarded as a 'burst' player. But it feels like suddenly he's laying his hand on the pill more like 20 or 22 times a game, without losing any of the excitement when he does touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I notice Robbo has picked two ruckmen in his team. I'd like our panel to think about that.
    Two ruckmen is good if they are noth as mobile and talented as Cox and Nicnat. I think they will experiment with Mummy and Pyke in the same side when Mummy has his first couple of games back. We'll see then, LRT or Walsh would have to make way, so thosae guys need to start racknng up credits
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh