Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: contested possession and tackles down against Saints !

contested possession and tackles down against Saints !

Is the game plan the issue ie it doesnt allow us to have our players competitive OR are our players not as competitive as we thought to execute the game plan?

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

I think we have been exposed under pressure. Simple as that. We just don't handle a high pressure game well
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Veteran Site Admin
    ???

What does the game plan have to do with chasing and tackling? It is players who do - or don't do - that, not game plans.

The tigers put us under constant pressure, and thrashed us. The Saints put us under constant pressure, and thrashed us.
    No doubt we'll play better next week at the SCG, but the reality is we wilt under pressure.
    Horse needs to change things up...and I don't mean, just dropping Walsh.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Liz the point I am making is that Bloods Football is all about dominating contested possession and tackles.......

Then does our game plan provide us with the greatest opportunity to be the most dominant team in these two areas ?

OR is it as simple as we dont have the players to execute this hard ball win football week in week out in comparison to other top 8 teams?

I am absolutely shocked at the lack of intensity we showed against the Saints but worse again is that we couldnt adapt to their fast break footy. Our game plan must be able to adapt !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    The tigers put us under constant press
    ure, and thrashed us. The Saints put us under constant pressure, and thrashed us.
    No doubt we'll play better next week at the SCG, but the reality is we wilt under pressure.
    Horse needs to change things up...and I don't mean, just dropping Walsh.
    What is this thrashing business?
    We lost by 28 points.

We won 2 quarters, they won 2 quarters.

We did not get thrashed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swans_premiers View Post
    We lost by 28 points.

We did not get thrashed
    It was a thrashing. We fought back for a more "honourable" loss. But they toasted us in the middle 2 qtrs where we had no answer.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

OMG you are Kidding

Quote Originally Posted by swans_premiers View Post
    We lost by 28 points.

We did not get thrashed
    WE GOT TRASHED!!! St Kilda should have been about 80 points up at three quarter time. Dont tell me we outscored them in the last quarter, when St Kilda were not trying. Blind Freddie could see that.
    And let me say: St Kilda is not a top four side. Imagine what will happen when we meet a Essendon or west Coast. OMG it is going to be embarrassing.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    WE GOT TRASHED!!! St Kilda should have been about 80 points up at three quarter time. Dont tell me we outscored them in the last quarter, when St Kilda were not trying. Blind Freddie could see that.
    And let me say: St Kilda is not a top four side. Imagine what will happen when we meet a Essendon or west Coast. OMG it is going to be embarrassing.
    I dont know how it looked on the telly but live we were well and truely outplayed.

Veterans List
    We are too slow to carry out any game plan against good sides without the quality of Goodes and Mumford playing. It is no coincidence that the 2 best in our semi final win in 2011 were those 2.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    ???

What does the game plan have to do with chasing and tackling? It is players who do - or don't do - that, not game plans.
    I'll try- I think you could possibly argue that a game plan may leave players out of position to be able to chase/tackle effectively; so perhaps either over committing on the spread or setting up a zone that doesn't match how the opposition's midfield spreads... or perhaps at stoppages simply instrucing players on where to stand- for a while AJ was on Goddard and I noticed that he generally stood goal side of him (good) at stoppages- but also at ones as deep as our forward 50 (kinda ok, kinda get it ish but maybe not as needed), he was then facing the opposite direction to Goddard and once or twice he got away from him to get into space to receive purely because AJ was literally on the back foot and with a paddock in front of you there's a bit more room to move.

I'm really clutching at straws here, though.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Is the game plan the issue ie it doesnt allow us to have our players competitive OR are our players not as competitive as we thought to execute the game plan?

StKilda and richmond destroyed us with their spread we couldnt counter it, our game plan works on smaller ground where our 1 on 1 works and stiffles the spread but harder to maintain on larger ground.

We have lost the art of tempo football, we have found it hard to change or slow the momentum. We dont transition well from long kicking play on game to slowing the game down with shorter passes and holding the game up, probably the biggest change from Roos to longmire game plan?

Cheers

waz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast