Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: It's going well for GWS and AFL

On the Rookie List
    I went to the game with two others on Sat night and really enjoyed the look of the new Showground Stadium and it is a great viewing ground. The crowd number was a touch disappointing and clearly a lot of people didn't turn up. Where we sat there were rows of seats with cards taped to them. The cards had names on them. Those would be reserved seats (and I assume paid for in some of the membership categories) but the people didn't turn up for whatever reason. For people that purchased a three and five game package (unreserved) it was necessary to pre-book a seat for this game and the Collingwood game which are designated as blockbuster games. Effectively, everyone has to have a reserved seat for these two games. For other games, you just turn up and scan your card. Perhaps this proved too cumbersome for some people.
    In my case, I had to leave home before the end of the Swans game on the teev: midway through the third quarter (which felt strange because I always watch games to the bitter end even when we're getting done!).
    I want GWS to succeed as a footy team and I'm more than happy for them to be my second team. Unfortunately, for most of this year and next they'll lose many more than they'll win and games will continue to be one-sided against stronger opponents.
    When they do start winning and the Showground gets anything like its full capacity (I think around 25K) the place is really gonna rock!
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    GWS had 4 'home grounds' thru necessity this year, but that will be back to 3 next year I'd imagine. It's doubtful they'll play at BOP next year, they were forced to play there this year due to Easter, Skoda not being ready and the AFL's desire for the standalone Rd 1 game.

Reading the article it appears they will be going to 4 home games in Canberra next year, so you can almost bank on the draw next year being Rd 1 at Skoda before the show (depending when Easter falls I guess), 2nd home game in Canberra, 3rd home game v Swans at ANZ, 4th home game in Canberra and finally back at Skoda about Rd 9 after the ground is fixed up following the fun and games of the show.
    That's a pretty shambolic arrangement for GWS if they have to wait until Round 9 every year because of the Easter Show, before playing their first game at their true home ground.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    I think one of the problems GWS have had, which is really not good enough, was availability of training grounds. Due to the late finish of cricket, they were unable to train at Blacktown and had to move around a bit and train on two other local ovals, which also had problems IIRC. I apologise but I'm unable to recall which other training ovals they used but someone else will know.
    Gipps Rd Oval at Greystanes was one, Bruce Purser Reserve at Rouse Hill was another. Sometimes the athletics track at Blacktown Olympic Park, or kick to kick around the baseball diamond. They have gym facilities at Blacktown and will still use those facilities - last year in the NEAFL, until the gym was finished, they were using Rooty Hill RSL's gym.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Reading the article it appears they will be going to 4 home games in Canberra next year, so you can almost bank on the draw next year being Rd 1 at Skoda before the show (depending when Easter falls I guess), 2nd home game in Canberra, 3rd home game v Swans at ANZ, 4th home game in Canberra and finally back at Skoda about Rd 9 after the ground is fixed up following the fun and games of the show.

BBB, you may be right about the venues for their early home games, but they are already at four home games in Canberra this season. The number includes the NAB Cup game they play there, i.e. three H&A games and one NAB game = 4 home games per year in Canberra. That agreement is why the Giants were in Canberra in pre-season on the same day as we played a practice match at Blacktown.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    This is a great post from the other board from a Sydney-based Geelong fan explaining how he has come to support GWS. I thought it was worth sharing, because it sums up everything that's great about our game. I would imagine that there would have been a fair few on this board who came to support the Swans this way after having supported Victorian clubs before moving to Sydney.

My journey's far from unique among Giants. I love Geelong: the city, the culture, the way that the Cats are run. I love the humility of the club, the players & the fans, and they really do "play the game the way it should be played". It's a fantastic organisation at every level, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them surge in the second half of the season right through to another premiership. I will never, ever bag the Cats.

But I live in Sydney. I don't have access to either RuperTel or 7Mite, so my only chance of actually watching the Cats as they play will be one Friday night in late June (and as I've just realised that I've already missed the cut-off to give 4 weeks notice in order to get seating in the Cats' area for that SCG game, even that lone chance has evaporated). So I won't get to use my interstate membership to attend a single Geelong game this year.

I live in Sydney. Every Thursday night after work I public transport my way out to Breakfast Point and help make the cheer squad banner. And since the Bullies' game in Canberra, I've been there on the field holding it up as the players charge through it for every 'home' game (plus for the Brisbane away game, thanks to a flukey winning of a Virgin Airlines competition). A large number of the club's managers, admin staff & players come out to those banner making sessions and chat with us or actually get down on hands and knees and help make the banner. Yes, even players (how many other teams can claim the same?). There are three of the regular AFL team with whom I am on first name basis (but it's not just me, as all of the core Cheer Squad members have struck up similar friendships with various players).

I am very actively involved annoying the crap out of two superb staffers (all credit to Andrea & Kirsty for their infinite tolerance) with a barrage of suggestions each week, and they even act on some of them (I played a very minor part in getting the 6 big flags which debuted in the cheer squad against Essendon made up). I've spoken to Sheeds on a number of occasions, and Choc a couple of times (again, a highly unexceptional situation for any Giants fan), and like so many Giants' members, I've had the chances to talk to anybody and everybody within the club after games at the club functions. As per the GWS membership ads, we fans really do "own this club". GWS is not a 'family club': it's a family.

Now as much as I love Geelong - and I do still love Geelong - there is no way that I can have these sort of experiences with the Cats while I live in Sydney (there isn't even a SydCats supporters' group). I actually feel as though my minor volunteer activities with GWS are actually helping to spread the love of our great indigenous game throughout what has traditionally been an Aussie Rules no-go zone. I deeply believe that, through the Giants (and the Suns), a group of passionate True Believers can spread the AFL to every last previously untouched corner of this wide brown land, and that when we do inevitably succeed in establishing our club, the entire AFL, including my blessed Cats, will benefit.

My closest friendships are rapidly becoming those I have with my fellow members of the GWS cheer squad currently sharing my odyssey. I have been told at work that I am looking fitter, stronger and happier than anybody there has ever seen me (and I've been in my current office for six years).

I can't have these experiences, nor establish these relationships with Geelong. So I guess that I have become a Giant. Albeit, one who will always have a very soft spot for the Cats.

Thanks for sharing XS. That sounds like it would be pretty special to be a part of. Interacting with the players on a regular basis, I can only imagine how awesome that would be. Hope it's not enough to turn too many of our Sydney swans into Giants though.... Being a cats supporter is Sydney must be a pretty lonely existence.

Not getting their first game at what will be their main home ground until late-May was mad. I have spoken to a couple of people who went and they raved about the ground, the view, the food etc. I suspect that with that kind of feedback the crowds will grow. I don't understand why people would want them to fail though. This is a national competition and it will be all the more vibrant for having clubs all over the country. It'll take time but they'll get there.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post
    Why would I.

Fact is the AFL is pouring millions into GWS, this include creating a little live-in community complete with all the trimmings in a gated community. This is costing the AFL a lot but if it guarantees success then our esteem dicta..i mean leader will just give himself a nice bonus of say half a mil.
    Should be feeding starving children instead.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeHaveTheGoodes View Post
    No GWS will not succeed not matter what you GWS diehards think. LOL
    Yes, whatever you think. Case of mind over matter.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

They did well today up until half time. They were still in it I think at 3/4 time but it was all too much in the last. They ran out of legs. I like the efforts they are putting in and love the supporters as they are beginning to become nice and proud of their club. I love that.

They will definitely not only survive but I think thrive in Western Sydney .They have the right people to make it happen. I wish them all the luck in the world just not playing us!

I thought they were going to be based at BOP but play sometimes at Homebush. Are they now to be completely based at Homebush? That's classed as inner west. A long from the greater west which is supposed to be where they draw their crowds from and where the AFL are supposed to be developing the game.

They have performed really admirably so far, it's hard not to like them. They have a crack week in week out, more than can be said of quite a few established teams.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast