Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: It's going well for GWS and AFL

Roy's just making up for lost time because at one stage his wife was an AFL big wig- it wouldn't do having the insignificant other( ie Roy) in the relationship making waves about the biggest code in the country. Roy is living in the past - he's never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

On the Rookie List
    On Offsiders this morning Roy actually complimented the AFL on having a very good competition amongst the top teams (which is plainly obvious when you see some of the game we've been fortunate to witness). The bottom teams are a problem though. Creates a lot of one sided games.
    Still, you can't script games like the Dees knocking off the Bombers: delightful...hehe....
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Roy's a dill. In a slightly different direction, I'd rather be in the Giants' camp than the Suns' right now.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1226390292930
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Jesus H. Christ. Roy has written exactly the same column again.
    Lonesome George meets his end - will GWS go the same way?

You'd think an old hack on a Fairfax newspaper would be wary of making cheap jokes about extinction.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    God, it's all the same old drivel isn't it.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Jesus H. Christ. Roy has written exactly the same column again.

Lonesome George meets his end - will GWS go the same way?

You'd think an old hack on a Fairfax newspaper would be wary of making cheap jokes about extinction.
    More rubbish from Roy.

I like his line about GWS receiving privileged treatment from the media. Roy, and most of the media establishment in Sydney, have been death-riding GWS since their inception.

1) time for Roy to retire he's just making himself sound old bitter and stupid. (which he is so we really don't need to read about it)
    2) GWS are not the devil, they are just another footy club getting started - why put so much time into worrying about something you can't control and really doesn't effect the way you live. It's just footy !!!

Goes up to 11
    Whilst I'd say that this article was not one of Roy's better pieces, I wouldnt underestimate his intelligence and his ability to get a reaction from his audience. He's pretty much reflective of a lot of league die-hards here in Sydney who are not taking too kindly to the AFL's 'invasion' of Sydney's west. Whilst the AFL seems to think that all of the unwashed masses in the west will convert and commence bowing to the almighty Sherrin, there are plenty of people who love league and will fight the real or perceived threat of AFL.

The reason some people are worried is the concern that the AFL has started a team for which there is not a great level of demand. They have stated they will throw loads of money at the concept and are in it for the long-term, but there are already some concerns as to the long-term viability of the idea. The AFL themselves are also throwing out some mixed messages about the concept - having a foot in Canberra and moving out of Blacktown being two examples. The issue is that if the GWS experiment doesn't work out as planned, don't think that the Swans won't suffer collateral damage. That's my concern. The damage the AFL could do to their brand here could hurt the Swans. I have a right to be concerned about this as I still think the AFL has made a mistake in putting GWS into the competition to start with - I'm not death-riding them, I just don't see anything yet that will change my view that this is a concept that is not going to take off in Sydney.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Priceless :-)

It's a footy team - its not a military invasion or the building of a second airport in the western suburbs precinct - the over reaction is just not warranted.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    It's a footy team - its not a military invasion or the building of a second airport in the western suburbs precinct - the over reaction is just not warranted.
    At least there's the demand for a second airport and people would show up from day 1 without Kevin Sheedy having to stand outside with a megaphone

Veterans List
    Aren't they starting up an A League soccer team in the GWS next year? I wonder what the fossil thinks of that.

Will he have a big fat cheque thrust into his hand in the near future?

The paranoia about AFL in Sydney in that media is staggering. In Melbourne both NRL and soccer get a fair run in the HS and on SEN. Most people in Melbourne couldn't give a rats toss bag about how many rugby and soccer clubs there are in town.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456