View Poll Results: I have considered this deeply and arrived at the following conclusion:

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 9.52%
  • No

    10 47.62%
  • I will consider it, but if in the meantime it comes off I will claim I thought of the idea months ago.

    6 28.57%
  • ROK is OLD!

    3 14.29%
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sam Reid: Potential Rucking Goliath

  1. #1
    Senior Player Bloody Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Posts
    2,907

    Sam Reid: Potential Rucking Goliath

    Was thinking about ways Sam Reid could be more involved in the game (as you do) and starting considering his potential as a ruckman. Everything about the way he moves, jumps and runs reminds me of a centre in basketball, and we all know of the synergy between bball and aussie rules.

    I know alot of peoples first reaction would be to say NO WAY, thoughts stemming from possible injury and our success of turning KP into this new 2nd ruck/forward role.

    But what if everyone has it the wrong way around? White was a KP being forced into the ruck. What if Reid is a ruckman being forced to play KP?

    I salavate at the thought of Natanui and Reid going head to head....and I thing Reid may have it over him.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

  2. #2
    Oh, you said RUCKING Goliath....
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

  3. #3
    Senior Player Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    RedZone
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    But what if everyone has it the wrong way around? White was a KP being forced into the ruck. What if Reid is a ruckman being forced to play KP?
    A very interesting thought experiment BH. The lamentable sisification of ruckwork by the 'Sooks of the Game' committee makes your propositon at least worth thinking about . . . . .
    However this peoples reaction is still to say NO WAY, and for the reasons you state.
    Bye for now - I'll be back in time for the 150th birthday in 2017. R'n'R

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Was thinking about ways Sam Reid could be more involved in the game (as you do) and starting considering his potential as a ruckman. Everything about the way he moves, jumps and runs reminds me of a centre in basketball, and we all know of the synergy between bball and aussie rules.

    I know alot of peoples first reaction would be to say NO WAY, thoughts stemming from possible injury and our success of turning KP into this new 2nd ruck/forward role.

    But what if everyone has it the wrong way around? White was a KP being forced into the ruck. What if Reid is a ruckman being forced to play KP?

    I salavate at the thought of Natanui and Reid going head to head....and I thing Reid may have it over him.
    I like the idea for the next couple of games to try and get Sam more involved playing as 2nd ruck resting as deep ff, but not as a long term option.

    Cheers

    waz

  5. #5
    It's Goodes to cheer!! Site Admin ScottH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Master of the house, keeper of the zoo
    Posts
    23,499
    Blog Entries
    2
    I wouldn't mind him doing a bit of ruck work as Hally used to do in the forward line, but not to play as a second ruck.
    He is still very young, and still learning the game. He is a work in progress, I think that 2nd ruck may distract him from his current lessons.

  6. #6
    Senior Player GongSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wollongong NSW
    Posts
    1,362
    Maybe when he gets to be 24 or 25 and has fulled out properly he could take some of teh inside 50 contests, right now I wouldn't be wearing him out against big bodied ruckmen and taking away from learning teh possie at CHF
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

  7. #7
    Senior Player BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,379
    I'd play him in the reserves.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

  8. #8
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,764
    Anyone remember Graham Teasdale?

    Potential star full forward until clubs worked him out, who became a Brownlow medallist in the year he was switched to the ruck.

    I have no objection to him being given a run in the ruck.

    Maybe not right now full time, but in a couple of seasons who knows. Has the mobility.

  9. #9
    Senior Player BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Anyone remember Graham Teasdale?

    Potential star full forward until clubs worked him out, who became a Brownlow medallist in the year he was switched to the ruck.

    I have no objection to him being given a run in the ruck.

    Maybe not right now full time, but in a couple of seasons who knows. Has the mobility.
    Sam would probably look good in a brown suit with the big lapelles's.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

  10. #10
    Senior Player Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    RedZone
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Anyone remember Graham Teasdale?
    A former North Shore (SFL) player.
    Bye for now - I'll be back in time for the 150th birthday in 2017. R'n'R

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO