Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: free agency

free agency

noticed it has gained a lot of momentum in the media this week

i wonder if we could benefit from the players available?

Goddard for our backline ?

this list is a little out of date but is helpful

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/defa...?newsid=130821
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

a lot of people saying travis cloke would be good for us. i disagree. i mean sure, he"d make our team better - any forward who can kick 70 goals a year would but i think for what we"d have to give up it wouldnt be worth it, id rather go after a gun midfielder. we'll be right for forwards some of morton, tdl, white walsh spang reid have to come good eventually right?? are we going to trade for a ruckman again? if seaby "retires"?

We probably need to start looking for young HBF and running players, maybe another inside mid to go with JPK, Parker and next year Mitchell. Still think we need more speed in the legs, ability to spread and run forward on the rebound, while it would be nice to have a FF of Clokes ability, he's not much good if the ball never gets there or comes in like a balloon and there's no support at ground level. The players on this list are mainly older, I'd rather add young players to grow with the core we have now
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    a lot of people saying travis cloke would be good for us. i disagree. i mean sure, he"d make our team better - any forward who can kick 70 goals a year would but i think for what we"d have to give up it wouldnt be worth it, id rather go after a gun midfielder. we'll be right for forwards some of morton, tdl, white walsh spang reid have to come good eventually right?? are we going to trade for a ruckman again? if seaby "retires"?
    What would we have to give up?....if we were to make a substantial offer, which Collingwood could not match (salary cap restrictions etc) he is free to leave and they would receive compensation from the AFL, not Sydney

The big IF being if Collingwood did not match the offer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettb View Post
    What would we have to give up?....if we were to make a substantial offer, which Collingwood could not match (salary cap restrictions etc) he is free to leave and they would receive compensation from the AFL, not Sydney

The big IF being if Collingwood did not match the offer.
    And if the rumours are true, Freo have already, or are prepared to, make him a substantial offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    And if the rumours are true, Freo have already, or are prepared to, make him a substantial offer.
    What FF would want to go to Freo right now? He'd probably end up in the midfield or with one of the other 14 HB flankers they have. Not sure he'd be terribly impressed with the game style. Money isn't everything to some of the players and I don't think free agency means he has to go, probably gives him the option to choose
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    Hmmm, methinks you don't quite get free agency. We wouldn't have to give anything up to get Cloke in terms of players or draft picks. He's a free agent. We'd have to devote a fair chunk of our salary cap to him however, which might hurt our chances of attracting or retaining other players down the line. I think free agency might be of most value for players who are forced out of their clubs but aren't high profile enough to be picked up via trade or who other clubs don't want to use up a draft pick on. It'll be conservative in its early stages (most players will want to maintain the status quo and not be seen as the guy who became the mercenary) but once it gets going it'll become an accepted part of the way the game works.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Goes up to 11
    I just hope free agency doesn't become the schemozzle that it is in the NRL, with players changing clubs mid-season, players announcing at the start of one season that they'll be playing elsewhere the next, players jumping clubs every couple of years, and players playing for 4, 5 or 6 clubs over a career etc etc. I think the AFL are getting it right so far so hopefully it doesn't get like the NRL.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I just hope free agency doesn't become the schemozzle that it is in the NRL, with players changing clubs mid-season, players announcing at the start of one season that they'll be playing elsewhere the next, players jumping clubs every couple of years, and players playing for 4, 5 or 6 clubs over a career etc etc. I think the AFL are getting it right so far so hopefully it doesn't get like the NRL.
    I don't think it will. I agree that they seem to be on the right track with it so far. The NRL's problem is that they operate with a salary cap but without a trading system or any kind of transfer window.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

yep free agency, so forgot what i said before.. but yeah clokes not worth a million a year, would he win us a flag? its a non issue theres no way he'll leave collingwood. what about one of the extra young talls gold coast are going to shed in the next couple of years.. in the meantime we will just make do and then we can start improving the midfield..

Just reading the requirements there - does that mean the club must publicly state the top 25% of earners on the list?

If so, that creates a line.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    The NRL's problem is that they operate with a salary cap but without a trading system or any kind of transfer window.
    The big problem is the game they play!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast