Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Home games at Skoda Stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    It was pretty awful weather, I don't really frown on anyone who didn't get along to the game.
    Neither do I.
    I stayed at home with family and friends, cooked a risotto with pancetta and saffron, drank way too much and had a thoroughly nice time.....and funnily enough... I don't even feel the slightest bit guilty.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

The 3.15 Sunday timeslot is a shocker in my book and will always struggle to draw a crowd, especially if the weather is poor like today. By the time you get out of Moore Park and if you have any amount of distance to drive, you can remove any productive use of Sunday night from the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I just hope that while full houses are hard to come buy, Swans' admin can start making a bit more of an effort to trade off $ for bums on seats, to grow the game longer-term. For example, general admission tickets were 'sold out' to today's game by the time I came to buy tickets today (!)-- meaning I had to pay another $25 for an adult and child, than I should have had to pay (given that there must have been literally thousands of seats available in the GA area). Most waverers wouldn't have bothered.
    That was a disgrace. I was told that the upstairs level of the Victor Trumper was "sold out" when trying to get some friends who'd bought GA tickets up to sit with us in the red zone, given it was raining and there were free seats everywhere on the top level. How people can argue that a section is sold out when there are thousands of empty chairs staring them in the face as they say it is beyond me. Good thing there are like 6 different staircases up to the top levels.

I've also had a couple of experiences this year being told that GA tickets are sold out when trying to get friends in to games that were anything but sold out. And it's happened before this year, too.

Blatantly lying to members isn't good enough. I know it's more to do with Ticketek and the SCG, but the Swans should demand more from their service providers.

But Sydneysiders do love a whinge about weather/time slots/traffic/whatever, as evidenced by this thread. Compared to Melbournites, they're bloody soft.

Seriously, people in Sydney would have you believe Melbourne football supporters are carried to the game on individual palanquins by teams of oiled eunuchs, and that's what accounts for the good crowds.

The fact is they're more committed to their teams and less inclined to whinge about minor inconveniences. They face bad weather, @@@@ transport and unhelpful time slots, but they still get to games.
    Last edited by J_Moore; 4th June 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Goes up to 11
    There were 3 of us (2 regulars and a guest) out of our normal group of 11. 4 or 5 of them opted for the Alexandria Hotel - and I don't really blame them due to the weather. However it cleared up ok and I didn't get very wet, and we do sit in the open in the O'Reilly Concourse. A very poor crowd overall but the weather here all weekend has been terrible and frankly, lots of supporter aren't into the Swans that much that they're willing to go through all the hassles of getting there and back at a funny time.

The idea of playing our games at Skoda Stadium is one of the zaniest I have seen during my time on here.....
    Last edited by jono2707; 4th June 2012 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Huh? Is it 1989 or is it 1996? The correct answer was round 2, 1996, when we drew 10,965 to watch us play Freo. And I think you mean 'Swans game at the SCG' not 'smallest crowd at the SCG', as the Roos drew 7k when they played Port Adelaide at the SCG (what a marketers' nightmare!) in 2000.

It's a tough competitive market; in some ways GWS can make things better for the Swans (mostly with the 2 local derbies a year), but in many ways they will make things tougher, and I'm sure everyone associated with the Swans went into 2012 with open eyes in that respect.
    Yes, you're right. I missed counting the Freo game in 1996. And yes, I did mean 'Swans game at the SCG'.

I still think the way in which we lost to the Tigers and the Saints did us a lot of damage in the fickle Sydney market.

Happy and I know it
    I went, I cheered and I enjoyed seeing a trouncing. My choice, my decision. I doubt that it means I'm somehow morally superior to people who stayed away.

Honestly, it's ridiculous to rubbish people for not going. There's more to life than footy, as difficult as some on this list seem to find that idea. We all still love our Swannies.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I wish I could get to more games, it's not always easy, but a move to Skoda stadium wouldn't encourage me to go more often, I don't even know where it is
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    I went, I cheered and I enjoyed seeing a trouncing. My choice, my decision. I doubt that it means I'm somehow morally superior to people who stayed away.

Honestly, it's ridiculous to rubbish people for not going. There's more to life than footy, as difficult as some on this list seem to find that idea. We all still love our Swannies.
    Yep, spot on Erica.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post

+1. Each to their own - I was there and that's all I can control!

I wondered how long bewfore someone could find a negative out of a 92 point victory.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I wondered how long bewfore someone could find a negative out of a 92 point victory.
    Maybe.

But there's no denying that yesterday's "turnout" would have seriously hurt the club's bottom line. I'm amazed that so many posters on this thread don't appear to care about that.

Goes up to 11
    A lot of us care about it - in fact I'll be contacting the club this week to clarify some of the ticketing issues that seem to be impacting us this year.

I generally miss one or two home games per year due to other engagements that I can't get out of such as birthdays, weddings etc. Footy doesn't outrank certain things in most people's lives. I feel that the weekend's weather moved the footy down many people's lists and there's no problem from me about that.

Only when we get an undercover stadium with a train station at its doorstep will I take offence at people being no-shows due to bad weather....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast