Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home games at Skoda Stadium?

Home games at Skoda Stadium?

Let's face it. If we can only draw 13,505 people to one of our home games - a crowd the Giants would be pleased with - we may as well give Skoda Stadium a try.

There just isn't any excuse for so many of our Sydney members not attending a home game.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It was pretty awful weather, I don't really frown on anyone who didn't get along to the game.

Were you there, Cheer Squad?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    It was pretty awful weather, I don't really frown on anyone who didn't get along to the game.

Were you there, Cheer Squad?
    Are you serious???

Today's crowd - 13,505 - was the smallest crowd at the SCG since Round 9, 1989 - way back at the beginning of the club's dark ages in the early 1990's.

In fact, it's the smallest crowd seen at the SCG since the club began it's ascent to general competitiveness in 1996.

How can anyone seriously make excuses for a no-show from so many thousands of our Sydney membership?

And yes, of course I was there.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I am serious that I don't really frown on anyone who didn't get along to the game. Are you serious that because of one small crowd the Swans should be playing at another team's home ground?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Maybe it's a reflection of the time slot, I'm not a fan of these twilight games, it really is a time slot that is betwixt and between.

It works ok on a Saturday - I quite like the 4:40. But the 3:15 Sunday is neither here nor there...

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Senior Player
    3pm on a Sunday in appalling conditions during rennos against a low-drawing opponent.

Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Maybe it's a reflection of the time slot, I'm not a fan of these twilight games, it really is a time slot that is betwixt and between.
    Whatever it's a reflection of, it's pathetic. Whenever and wherever the club schedules a game in Sydney, I attend.

And if you're right, then our Sydney members, having held the club to ransom over the scheduling of games at Homebush, are now trying the same tactic over the timing of matches at the SCG. It is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Today's crowd - 13,505 - was the smallest crowd at the SCG since Round 9, 1989 - way back at the beginning of the club's dark ages in the early 1990's.

In fact, it's the smallest crowd seen at the SCG since the club began it's ascent to general competitiveness in 1996.
    Huh? Is it 1989 or is it 1996? The correct answer was round 2, 1996, when we drew 10,965 to watch us play Freo. And I think you mean 'Swans game at the SCG' not 'smallest crowd at the SCG', as the Roos drew 7k when they played Port Adelaide at the SCG (what a marketers' nightmare!) in 2000.

Anyway, while the crowd was poor (perversely, I was there, and I don't get to that many games these days), in 2002 we got a 14k (vs Roos in their 'home game' experiment, of course) and two 16k crowds (St Kilda & Freo); and I'm sure that none of those 3 games had a weather buildup as dire as this weekend. Iffy crowds like that do happen; the important thing is that there are some 30ks on the good days against strong-drawing opponents, to balance them out.

It's a tough competitive market; in some ways GWS can make things better for the Swans (mostly with the 2 local derbies a year), but in many ways they will make things tougher, and I'm sure everyone associated with the Swans went into 2012 with open eyes in that respect.

Skoda isn't the answer to anything for the Swans, and isn't even a theoretical option.

I just hope that while full houses are hard to come buy, Swans' admin can start making a bit more of an effort to trade off $ for bums on seats, to grow the game longer-term. For example, general admission tickets were 'sold out' to today's game by the time I came to buy tickets today (!)-- meaning I had to pay another $25 for an adult and child, than I should have had to pay (given that there must have been literally thousands of seats available in the GA area). Most waverers wouldn't have bothered.

Nobody's holding the club to ransom. I don't know about other people, but I have to prepare work for Monday. In addition there was track work and bad weather. People have many more obligations than footy you know...

On the Rookie List
    Whilst the concourse areas are out in the open, the Trumper stand provides really good dry viewing. As often happens though the thought of wet weather was much worse than the reality. Except for the first quarter the skies cleared and it was good for the rest of the match. The ground was a picture and except for the centre square didn't cause any problems. Having said that, I don't think I saw any umpire bounce a ball, they were all "ball ups".
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Few reasons for poor showing and I don't think we should tear our hair out but:
    - Dogs don't draw crowds interstate. Ever!
    - 3.15 timeslot on a Sunday does not work in Sydney
    - horrific weather until the start of the game.
    - track work

It was a very disappointing showing but no need to race off to the G Spot.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast