Thread: Favourite Paul Roos moments

Favourite Paul Roos moments

Just realised today how much I miss Paul Roos' humour as a coach (I don't get to hear him much as a commentator). Thought I would ask people to share their favourites. Here are a couple of mine...

• Asked what the strategy was in sending the Swans out on the ground early after a quarter-time break (they were being hammered by the Bulldogs): "I was seeing if I could get on an earlier flight home and they just ran out!"
    • When asked if Brett Kirk had done a hamstring after pulling up lame: "Kirky can't run fast enough to do a hamstring!"

On the Rookie List
    Not so much dry humour like that - though I do miss his pressers where you could expect insight, sarcasm and the odd gag - but I was there in '05 for the "Here it is" moment. Still get goosebumps thinking about it.
    Twitter: @tp_rose

You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Not humourous, but pretty memorable Paul Roos moments:

His jelly snake snacking. Well before the Bomber sandwich.

His imfamous 'go forward, just don't kick a goal' to Macca and the match-fixing drama that ensured from one dry comment.

That almighty spray he gave the players at quarter time vs Collingwood. Got right up to their faces and threw that photo in their faces before storming off.

The look on his face when Jude kicked the goal that arrived way to the right of the goal square, bounced the wrong way and went up and left and straight between the posts.

Way back when playing for the Swans, he was directing traffic while on the run - coaching even then.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Blog Entries
    The look, (or not) each time Baz was dragged!!

On the Rookie List swansprincess's Avatar
    I still vividly remember his and kirky's last game against the doggies in 2010. I was sitting right near the race down at the fence and roosey was so choked up with emotion he started to walk down the race after the siren and he looked at us swans supporters right there and at this stage I already had tears but I just remember him looking me right in the eyes and just giving a simple nod that pretty much said everything. I guess it's not really that much, but as a swans supporter it is one of my most treasured moments.

I like how he used humour to defuse dumb controversies.

In 2005, when we beat Collingwood by a point in 2005, Buchanan had the ball in our backline just near the death and seized up with cramp. Roos: "Funny how no-one seems to mind players wasting time in the forward line."

2008 or 2009, the St Kilda chairman accusing us of something ('tunnelling'?). Roos, who used to work for him, said: "Maybe I didn't sell enough photocopiers for him."

2008 Jesse White '19th man' affair. Roos said something like: "Jesse ran to the other end of the ground so it actually disadvantaged us."

Not humorous but classy was after the 2006 grand final: "I'd prefer 2-0 but I'll take 1-1."
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

My Favourite Roos moment was actually a couple of weeks after he ceased coaching at an afl function with Andy d sitting close by Roos finally got to say what he thought of the AFL and really let fly,the look on demitrious face was priceless.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    He even had an AFL By-Law created in his honour. Now that is had to do.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Also when White took that screamer near the interchange and Roos was yelling at him, don't lay there, get up and play on you spud, or words to that effect
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Mine will always be....."HERE IT IS
    Does God believe in Atheists?