Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 12 v The Cats

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I would personally start Goodsey on the bench and give him 70-80 minutes of game time. Not worth the risk of playing him for a full game.
    I'd just start him at FF with instruction to stay inside f50
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Pyke

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    If they drop Pykie it would be sheer stupidity. This ruck combo is working really well. Both lads provide a big target in the Forward line and take heat off Sammy. Longmire was grinning from ear to ear about how our rucks have gone the last two weeks and I can't see him changing them.

If Goodes is fit he may come back depending on his assessment to match fitness. He is due to resume. Benny will be back and the pocket rocket will be ready to get revenge for being outed. If they both come in then I think Mal will definitely go. Drey will probably too which I think is sad. I think if they gave him a bigger role in the mids he would do well as well as KO duties with Tony Armstrong. LRT is probably not needed against Geelong but against say Carlton he would be. Horses for courses. We need to attack against the Cats and I think Morton, Drey & TDL could be good with Goodes & Benny. But who is the third out? Don't have a ruddy clue! Too many playing too well.
    I absolutely agree and truly feel that Pyke is trending upwards in the same way he was before that unfortunate injury last season against the dogs. He is super conservative with his release but can mark and tackle and kick straight and run real hard - perfect against the cats - he could easily bag three goals in the advanced position while bruising up the Rucker's while Mummy can roam. Yeah I am a big fan. Remember what he did to the dogs in Canberra?

White needs better ruck work and to stop giving away free's - Spangher on last season's form would be impossible to omit, when ready. LRT has a knack for sporadic yet inspirational plays but can go missing here and there.

Just would like to see big Mike get one or two more games to see if the trend continues. I pretty much agree with the rest of the general consensus here. Cannot wait for the biggun.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by New-eon Jack View Post
    White needs better ruck work and to stop giving away free's - Spangher on last season's form would be impossible to omit, when ready. LRT has a knack for sporadic yet inspirational plays but can go missing here and there.
    I don't want to bag Spangher because I think he did a reasonable job last year and offered something in the forward line, but lets not get too carried away here. It seems the longer he is absent the better his season was.

To put it in perspective, his last game in the seniors was the semi final against the Hawks which yielded 6 posessions and 1 goal. In his 6 games he averaged 10 posessions, 2.5 tackles and 1.3 goals per game

Whilst stats don't tell the full story, he is going to need to step up a notch before he can be labelled our forward line saviour

I wouldn't say Spang is a forward line saviour but he certainly provides that extra tall forward option. I think his marking is better than LRT or White. He is able to do it on the lead or in a pack. If you look at that game against the Hawks we were totally outplayed. Our delivery was very poor, especially to our forward line. All we did was bomb it up to Sammy and all that happened was Josh Gibson punched the ball out of bounds and the Hawks rebounded. We looked for Sammy all day and ignored alternatives. So don't blame Spang for a bad game blame either the Coaches in their game plan or the mids for not carrying off the game plan.

The only changes are;

In; Goodes & Benny

Out; Mal & Drey

I don't know, with Mal out, I expect anyway, that leaves Marty as our only really long kick out of def. I also think that with Benny and Goodes in, Goodes playing primarily forward I'd think TDL is a chance to suffer. The heat is on for spots, with teh bottom 6 players needing to really show something, good for the team, tough for selection

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    I don't know, with Mal out, I expect anyway, that leaves Marty as our only really long kick out of def. I also think that with Benny and Goodes in, Goodes playing primarily forward I'd think TDL is a chance to suffer. The heat is on for spots, with teh bottom 6 players needing to really show something, good for the team, tough for selection
    Mal was the sub last week and did nothing practically. I'd drop him frankly. TDL certainly wasn't brilliant, but he wasn't obviously bad or anything. I think we look a little tall TBH if Goodes, Pyke, Mumford, LRT all stay in the side. It would be sad to see Pyke omitted, but arguably for team balance, he or LRT are the most appropriate to go.

It's a little hard to read Everitt. Valuable is some patches, but then in others you would hardly notice he was there. However, for a relatively tall player he plays better small so his mobility could be useful as the sub?? He's done the role before with mixed success, but yeah, the sub role will probably be between him, TDL and Mal.

Very hard at the selection table this week, but I'm trusting the coaches. I absolutely canned their choices last week, but we had a good win so what would I know...

Just an aside, but the team we have now with the addition of Gary Rohan and Luke Parker looks quality. Sad to loose both given it's such an open season, but hopeful Parker's inclusion later in the year gives us just that little bit extra heading into the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    It's early days but Armstrong looks to have a decent kick on him. What are we calling him anyway? Neil? Warwick? Lance?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    It's early days but Armstrong looks to have a decent kick on him. What are we calling him anyway? Neil? Warwick? Lance?
    Satchmo?

Opti-pessi-misti
    Assuming Goodsey is in, how nice is it that opposition coaches will have two players to especially exercise their minds when hatching their match up strategies this week, Goodes and Jetta. Dempsy did a good job minding Jets last week but Jets still kicked 3 goals and could have had 3 more. Both he and Goodes have that habit of bobbing up and creating minutes of mayhem. Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Assuming Goodsey is in, how nice is it that opposition coaches will have two players to especially exercise their minds when hatching their match up strategies this week, Goodes and Jetta. Dempsy did a good job minding Jets last week but Jets still kicked 3 goals and could have had 3 more. Both he and Goodes have that habit of bobbing up and creating minutes of mayhem. Bring it on!
    Dempsey was good in utilising his advantage in the air to take advantage of Jets and Liam Picken, in making the hard tag, was also successful in taking him out of the game.

It'll be interesting to see what opposition coaches do to deal with him. Is Wojo a chance to play on him? He has speed (though I'm not too sure how that compares) and certainly body or body he'd be able to beat Lewis.

But yes, as you said Rojo he does invoke an additional headache which is something we've lacked a little while. Goodesy has always been our X-factor and the primary attacking weapon so I'm glad we've got Jets up our sleeve too. As you said, they've got the ability to turn games and make an impact with very few disposals.

Happy and I know it
    I hope someone tells the SCG that the Swans are expecting the gates to open at 4.05pm. The SCG and the stadium next door are advertising in all the papers about their weekend of footy - 3 codes - and stating that the gates open at 5pm.

Of curse, the SCG may have already decided that the reserves won't be playing there on Friday...
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast